IGNORED

VCSp Production line

Haydn Jones

ben heck is making a production line of 2600p's . might these be good for a colector in a pal region to get in to NTSC, thou i might send him a mail to see if their is much work involved with just ajusting the rf to use pal games/2600.

www.benheck.com

it would cost about the same as a pspp for me, with cheaper games.

haydn

I know there are component and time costs here - $350 is beyond my budget also - I would prob be interested if the price point could come down to $250 but it would hard to part with that cash ;)

ANyone know how long the unit would last on a set of batteries?

im all over this thing, even for $350. i figure if you tried to build it youself...

$90 for the kit (from ben himself)

$50 (approx) for the atari system to hack apart

$100 for the screen

$20 for his book

so its nearly 300 and you might not even be able to pull it off

tho it would be fun to try

at any rate, i can say 100% that i will either buy one from him (if he starts to manufacture them) or buy the supplies and his book and try it myself

I just wish he would make it look more Atari-ish.

i hear that, but thats why ill keep my actual 2600 in commision hooked up to the tv....as a replacement i agree its not 'the real thing' by any stretch

I would take one if he fixed the design to include both difficulty switches and the B&W switch (for games that use it as something other than changing the palette to grayscale. Also, the paddle button may be pressed by mistake in a joystick game, which will register as a right joystick press. My advice would be to nix the paddle button altogether, use the one button for both and have a switch to select the joystick or paddle. Thats four extra switches in all that must be added to perfect the device.

I'm disappointed the joystick and paddle are on the left side. I'm so used to playing 2600 games with the original joystick and paddle, I can't play them with left-handed gamepads.

And yeah... $350 is a bit steep for a semi-portable 2600. (I say "semi" because if you take more than a couple of games with you, you're dealing with juggling a bunch of big ol' carts.)

Now if it had an integrated Krokodile Cart... :ponder:

In less than a year we're all going to be hacking the new crop of 2600-on-a-chip devices into portables which will yield much better battery life and won't involve cannibalizing original consoles.

I would hope that Ben takes a look at those when they come out and offers something based on them, hopefully with all the console switches and a 2nd controller port on it.

I'm disappointed the joystick and paddle are on the left side. I'm so used to playing 2600 games with the original joystick and paddle, I can't play them with left-handed gamepads.

I prefer the stick/d-pad right, button(s) left arrangement too. This seems to make more sense to me since most of us are right handed and directional controls are the primary controls in most games, which leads me to wonder why it got turned around, and why "backwards" has become the standard. :ponder:

Anyway, Ben has made ONE unit with the controls the right way around, the VCSp Gold, found about halfway down this page: http://benheck.com/Games/VCSp%20Models.htm So, I'm sure if you were to buy a custom unit from him he would be glad to build it any way you want, for the right price. :wink:

I prefer the stick/d-pad right, button(s) left arrangement too. This seems to make more sense to me since most of us are right handed and directional controls are the primary controls in most games, which leads me to wonder why it got turned around, and why "backwards" has become the standard. :ponder:

Anyway, Ben has made ONE unit with the controls the right way around, the VCSp Gold, found about halfway down this page: http://benheck.com/Games/VCSp%20Models.htm So, I'm sure if you were to buy a custom unit from him he would be glad to build it any way you want, for the right price. :wink:

I second that.

5-11under

im all over this thing, even for $350. i figure if you tried to build it youself...

$90 for the kit (from ben himself)

$50 (approx) for the atari system to hack apart

$100 for the screen

$20 for his book

so its nearly 300 and you might not even be able to pull it off

tho it would be fun to try

Don't you have to supply Ben with an atari and $350? If so, your materials only come to $210 instead of nearly $300. It does look nice though!

I can understand why Ben has to charge that kind of money. It's definitely not cheap for him to do this kind of work.

But if he perfected one of his handhelds and offered it for $100 less(unlikely, but we can hope), then I'd be willing to do it. Anything to allow me to enjoy my Atari games more often would be nice.

I was going to post this a while back, but was going to wait until after I built mine. I am also going to buy Ben's pre-made one if he builds them. Problem though: I don't like the sitcking out the back thing either or the paddle positioning.

I bet you will see more of these on EBAY now... after people start making them from his kits.

:)

I want one to take with me to fleamarkets and stuff... and another one for home and traveling. I really need a multi-cart of some sort though. What's this I hear about a 'Krokodile Cart' First time I heard of that.