IGNORED

Burger King story: manager knew an Atari programmer

Chris-in-NJ

Last week I was in the Nutley, NJ (now somewhat imfamous as the birthplace of Martha Stewart :roll:) Burger King, and asked if they had any Kabooms left. I mentioned that I had the original, and the manager, who happened to be standing nearby, mentioned that when he lived in California, he had a friend who used to work for Atari. He told me his name was Al DeMaio (I only know the spelling since he's listed on this site!)

He mentioned that Al had designed a horseracing game, and I immediately thought of Steeplechase, saying that it was a Sears exclusive. However, Al is not listed as having worked on this. What's more, the manager said it was most definitely the early 80s when Al worked there, and Steeplechase is a 70s game.

Could there be an unreleased title that Al worked on? Perhaps for the 400/800 etc.? Looking at his list of titles on Atari Age, none of them is a 2600 title, and none of them was actually sold by Atari. Looks like he defected to Activision...

This could be Alex Demeo (he did some Atari 7800 stuff for Absolute).  

Sounds like it. I know he was floating around the programming scene long before the 7800 stuff.

Horse racing game eh? The only one I know is Steeplechase and we know the programmer for that. Perhaps he was working on something new?

Tempest