IGNORED

Games you once hated

Lord Thag

Dunno if this has been done before here...

Have any of you ever had a game you've had for years and hated, and then been won over by? I'll give you an example. I've had Starmaster since I was a kid. I remember drooling over it in the stores until I finally picked it up. I was quite let down. I remember thinking the action slow and predictable compared to Star Raiders (which I love), and I rarely ever played it again.

After reading lots of posts about the game on these boards, and hearing numerous glowing reviews, I gave it another go the other night. Much to my surprise, I found it quite a white knuckle experience, and I've been playing it ever night since. It's not as frantic as Star Raiders, and the combat is less chaotic, but it requires more precision to play well. Having a starmap with numerous groups of enemies is very cool too. Suffice to say I now like the game as much as Star Raiders.

So, any of you have a specific game you once hated and now love? Tell us how you were won over! Who knows, maybe you'll convert one of us?

When I was a child, I was very sensitive to loud noises, and as a result, I didn't really get into games like Astroblast and Missile Command like I could have.

Later on, I realized there was a volume knob, and when I started collecting again, I was less sensitive to noise, meaning that I could get start playing them. While I haven't gotten Astroblast yet, I own Missile Command and it's a real blast to play! (no pun intended)

Smurfs.

As a kid, I thought this was a dumb, baby's game ("you mean you have to use your hands?"). But when I picked it back up as an adult and really gave it some play time, I began to realize that it was a really good game, very challenging and full of colorful graphics.

I used to hate Crystal Castles on the 2600. I loved the arcade game, but the 2600 version just sucked with a joystick.

Now that I've played it with a trak ball -- even if it is working in joystick mode -- I have to say it's actually pretty decent, even if it is missing a lot of the arcade version's flair.

I disliked Double Dragon until I really learned how to play it. Then I couldn't put it down until I had played all the way to the end. The music is the coolest ever on the 2600!! Kung Fu Master was kind of the same way. And Ghostbusters.... :ponder: Maybe more later....

As a kid, I was never any good at Dragster and that influenced my opinion of the game. However, as an adult, I'm better able to appreciate the true nature of the game, which is pure competition with ones self. Now I find great enjoyment in the effort to constantly improve at the game and better my pervious times. Dragster is now my second favorite game on the VCS.

Yars' Revenge is another game I never got into. Then one day it just clicked with me and now I think it's one of the best games on the VCS.