IGNORED

2600jr. and Vader

sandmountainslim

I'd say there about evenly rare to some degree. I don't have actual production numbers in font of me but I would think the rarity would break down something like this :

The Vader style systems themselves are *slightly* rarer than the 2600 Jr. models all together. The Vader came out mid 1982 ( i think) which really only gave it about a year or so of strong sales before the crash. The Vader was on the market consistently through the crash (Sears, Macy's, etc.) until 1986 at which time the 7800 push was on and the 2600 Jr. made a strong appearance. Generally speaking, if you search ebay, you will be more likely to find a 2600 Jr. than Vader.

However there are two basic versions of the 2600 Jr. The Jr. was designed in 1983 while Atari was still owned by Warner Communications and was supposed to hit the market along with the 7800 in the summer of 1984. A small run of 2600 Jr. systems were produced and ready to be shipped, but then Atari was quickly sold to the Tramiels whom put all gaming production on hold. When they ressurected the 2600 Jr. in 1986, they made significant cosmetic changes to the metal name plate that are obvious to anyone. The small run of 1984 units have a classic Atari rainbow design featuring an embossed "2600" stamped into the name plate with a small rainbow underneath. The model which went into production in 1986 had a large "ATARI" stamped into it and a large printed rainbow stripe which spanned the length of the system. I have also found that 1986 models were constructed with plastic that was a lot more flimsy and brittle than the 1984 units. The 1984 units are more desirable from a collector's standpoint for their rarity, and are certainly more rare in my opinion than the Vader style systems. I'm pretty sure the 1984 units shipped with the 7800's Pro-Line controller as well. That was the original intent anyways.

The small run of 1984 units have a classic Atari rainbow design featuring an embossed "2600" stamped into the name plate with a small rainbow underneath. The model which went into production in 1986 had a large "ATARI" stamped into it and a large printed rainbow stripe which spanned the length of the system.

I think Tramiel Atari produced the small rainbow stripe ones at first. My 2600jr was purchased in 86 or 87 (IIRC) and had the small rainbow stripe, and came with the standard CX-40 stick. A few friends also had 2600s purchased in 87 and even early into 88 with the thin rainbow stripe.

In fact, the "fat" rainbow stripe didn't appear in Canada until about 88 or 89.

Just pure speculation, but I suspect the fat rainbow strip coincided with the PAL release of the 7800... whenever that was.

It seems to me that (perhaps not as an exact "rule", but at least my experience) the red boxes had the fat rainbow stripe, while the silver boxes had the thin rainbow stripe.

Cheers!

Joey