IGNORED

1942 audio for the VCS!

Cybergoth

Hi there!

Spent some time this afternoon converting the tunes of the C64 version of 1942 to the VCS. The results are pretty good I think.

-> Anyone interested in adding the rest of the game? :D

Greetings' date='

Manuel[/quote']

Sounds really good. Whats the name of that second song? It sounds really familiar I just can't put my finger on it.

Keep up the good work. 8)

Hi there!

Sounds really good. Whats the name of that second song? It sounds really familiar I just can't put my finger on it.

Hm... here's the STIL entry for the game, it looks like #02 is an original tune and only #01 a cover:

/Cooksey_Mark/1942.sid

COMMENT: Although an arcade conversion, none of this music is either converted

or influenced by the original.

(#1)

TITLE: 633rd Squadron [from the movie]

ARTIST: Ron Goodwin

I've been spending some thought's about porting the game, but it seems like an amazingly tough challenge. I don't think my Star Fire engine could do as many objects as required for 1942, but maybe one could modify the engine to have it calculating 2 separate sprites instead of the big 16-Bit sprites it does currently...

Greetings,

Manuel

yeap..it is working now...just had to reboot my PC. Odd. But when you guys stated that Z26 was working for you, I decided to try it again using known good roms that I had just working yesterday. Anyway, after the reboot of my PC they are working again. It is impressive, but doesn't this stuff use a bunch of CPU cycles to generate the tones? Would that make it tough to make an anctual game? Especially something like 1942? Afterall, if 1942 were possible on the 2600...I would think that you would have attempted to port Sky Jaguar to the 2600?

;)

Hi there!

It is impressive, but doesn't this stuff use a bunch of CPU cycles to generate the tones?

Not at all. Audio generation itself is one of the simplest tasks for the VCS, especialy as it doesn't consume any screen time. But it's using lotsa ROM. The first 2 tunes eat up the whole 4K and the 3rd isn't much shorter.

(This is just raw data though. When fully paternizing the tunes they'll take less ROM space.)

Would that make it tough to make an anctual game? Especially something like 1942? Afterall, if 1942 were possible on the 2600...I would think that you would have attempted to port Sky Jaguar to the 2600?

After spending even more thoughts on it, I don't think 1942 would make a good translation. You'd either have to cripple it down or flicker it a lot. Just displaying your own plane with both sattelite planes attached would already require both sprites and missiles... :twisted:

Sounds good, but would be nice to hear the C64 version of the tunes so I have something to compare them to.  Would it be possible to make some MP3s of the original C64 music?  Do you have SID files of them?  I wonder if there's an OS X SID player.  :)

Try this:

http://www.c64.org/HVSC/Cooksey_Mark/1942.sid

And this:

http://www.sidmusic.org/sidplay/mac/

:)

Greetings,

Manuel