IGNORED

Street Racer Revelations

StanJr

Well lookie. I had only ever popped Street Racer into the ol' VCS once, to make sure it worked, and knew right away it was a turd, no need to examine further. However Big Player and his bro were over tonight and we were looking for 4 player games (having exhausted Warlords, Video Olympics and Steeplechase) so we pulled out the Street Racer.

Up to this point, I thought Street Racer was just another crappy early racing game. Much to my surprise I found out it is also a really crappy skiing game. (and there is something about a "number cruncher" variation, but lets not press our luck...)

Man this thing just stunk up the 2600 like crazy. Maybe for its time it was something to enjoy, but it has not aged well at all.

Luckily we were all happily playing Warlords again within minutes and all was right with the world.

:)

Up to this point' date=' I thought Street Racer was just another crappy early racing game. Much to my surprise I found out it is also a really crappy skiing game. (and there is something about a "number cruncher" variation, but lets not press our luck...)

Man this thing just stunk up the 2600 like crazy. [i']Maybe[/i] for its time it was something to enjoy, but it has not aged well at all.

Yeah .. even in 1977 it wasn't that great .. but I don't think it works well as a 3 or 4 player game at all due to the combined player height versus playfield. It is fun as a two player game only .. Racer, Skiing, and especially Scoop Ball (you have to say "scoooop!" with that one). It's good for 10 minutes of retro entertainment .. better than most "yuck" 2 minute games.

Just as for Starship, I imagine that this is one of the games programmed in 1976 and released to get rid of it sooner than later. Remember that these two as well as Surround and Blackjack were the first ones to be removed from the Atari catalog.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Just as for Starship' date=' I imagine that this is one of the games programmed in 1976 and released to get rid of it sooner than later. Remember that these two as well as Surround and Blackjack were the first ones to be removed from the Atari catalog.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA[/quote']Wow, I never knew that. I can see why!!(LOL). I recently set scores on all these games for my profile at Twin Galaxies. I'm glad to be finished with them for now. Surround was taken out of the TG score database for the 2600 because it was to easy to get to 10. :sad:

I remember enjoying Street Racer every once in a while as a little kid. I'd race my sister or my father and usually end up winning. It was pretty entertaining back in the late 70s. I also like the Surround variation where I could make pictures. I used to play surround against the computer pretending I was in the Tron computer. Those were the days. :D

I too own Street Racer and had never played it before last night. May I never play it again. And it is one of the few games that is worse with four players.

As Stan said, it's a good thing a game of four-player Warlords is the cure for the horror.

I am still kicking myself that I didn't bring my Stella Gets A New Brain CD to the home of Stan Jr. and Pitfallaimee. It would been the prefect time to test out the Party Mix game from Starpath.