IGNORED

Centipede is one of the few games...

Cybergoth

2600 Centipede wasn't released until 1983.

1982, actually. It was one of the first silver-label games.

The 2600 port is extremely well done, and holds a special place in my heart. I received it for my birthday when it was still fairly new, and was blown away when I plugged it in. Hi-res graphics (relatively speaking)! Floating scores! A demo mode! Even a title screen! Centipede, together with Ms. Pac-Man, screamed loudly and clearly that year that the 2600 wasn't done yet, and that it was capable of far more than anybody had seen so far.

As for other Centipede adaptations, I believe I've played all the 8-bit versions, except for the Intellivision port. The 5200 version is the best, of course. You can't beat arcade-perfect sound and arcade-perfect control, even if they did take a few liberties with the graphics (shrinking mushrooms? is that a flea or a flying pretzel?). The 7800 version is fine, but that border around the playfield annoys me. The C-64 version suffers from some glitches, including the fact that the centipede never reappears whole after the first level. The Coleco and Atari 8-bit versions are decent, from what I remember; I haven't played them as much.

NovaXpress wrote:  

2600 Centipede wasn't released until 1983.  

1982, actually. It was one of the first silver-label games.

Nope. 1983. There were quite a few silver label games which preceeded Centipede.

Here's the Atari catalog announcing a March 1983 release, which turned out to be accurate:

http://atariage.com/catalog_page.html?Cata...3&currentPage=6