IGNORED

Bruce Lee

This is one of my favorite games on the 8-bit. I've got to the wizard screen dozens of times. I always turn the game off after running through once though. Last night, I didn't. I played again. Wow! The green yami is much more agressive and fast the second time around. Also, the screen with all the burning "matches" is harder since there are no safe platforms to land on from one level to the other. Also, there is no extra lives (the yellow gongs.)

The third time around I didn't notice much difference, but I didn't play right to the end a third time.

Is there anything else that happens the more times you beat it?

• 3 years later...

I'm finding this game really tough, I usually always lose the game when I get to the first red room with those bushes that spring up. The combination of those and trying to get rid of the two enemies is hard.

I think the furthest I've ever got is one or two screens after that one, once.

The controls seem a bit unresponsive sometimes too, like on the rare occasion when I press the fire button to do a flying kick he doesn't do it, then again maybe my joystick is on it's way out?

Edited by Ross PK

I do think it's quite good, but I wonder why people think it's so brilliant, like one of the best games for the 8-bit?

What is it about this game that makes it so great?

As you said it's a good game. But it's great because is "Bruce Lee"

It is unique too when I think about it, as it's a platform game and a fighter rolled into one. I can't think of any other games that are like that.

Wasn't Zorro like that as well?

Tempest

Ah yes, Zorro, I forgot about that. Maybe there could be a few games in that style after all. To be honest though Zorro did only use a sword.

Another interesting feature of Bruce Lee is the ability to rotate the joystick 90 degrees to adapt it to left handed players. I can't recall another game that allowed this.

Most Datasoft platformers had this - aside from Bruce Lee, this ability was in Zorro and The Goonies. And AFAIK, in Conan too.

I'm starting to get it now. Was on it again last night for about an hour and a half to two hours, the more I went through the game the better it got.

I guess I was just expecting the rest of the game to not be that different from the red rooms, but it is, there's a lot of variation there in terms of the rooms/enviroments.

I really really like the game now. The furthest I got was where there were a lot of those platforms with those small white things running across them that you have to jump over, getting the timing right is really hard.

Yeah, I guess the fact you're playing Bruce Lee plays a big part.

It is unique too when I think about it, as it's a platform game and a fighter rolled into one. I can't think of any other games that are like that.

Its is sort of a forerunner to prince of persia, but the fighting elements in POP aren't nearly so well developed. Even tho Bruce only has a standing punch and a flying kick!

So that's what the green guy is?

I think the green guy is a mix of a cow and alien.

somebody can make a editor stage for this game? :)

You know I was thinking yesterday, that it'd be pretty cool if someone could hack into the game and try and make it into some sort of a scrolling 2D beat-em-up.

Edited by Ross PK

You know I was thinking yesterday, that it'd be pretty cool if someone could hack into the game and try and make it into some sort of a scrolling 2D beat-em-up.

a 3 player option would be easyer and cooler :) like the hacked ik+ on the c64 :)

Hmm... Must visit Google...Didn't know there was a hacked 3 player version on the C64 :)

an old school friend of mine dropped in at the weekend and said that he had found his xl and 1050 and the only game he had ever bought, bruce lee!

he had managed to lose his sio cable so I sorted one out for him, along with 20 or so multidiscs.

Nice that someone that I spent so many hours playing Atari with 20 years ago has re found his roots.The catalyst was him being given a Ps2 and not enjoying thegames as much as the Atari :)