IGNORED

New lynx owner

masschamber

just bought a lynx what's good and cheap for it, no sports (i.e footbal baseball, but say racing is okay.... does the lynx even have sports games?)

I'm already picking up xybots and chips challenge already what else is common and good

I can truly recommend anything in the Lynx library but these stinkers:

"Hard Drivin'", "Tournament Cyberball", "Gordo 106", "NFL Football", "Hockey" (how COULD they misspell "Winnipeg"?) and "Ninja Gaiden III". I seem to be in the minority with respect to NG3, though. :)

Congrats! Welcome to the world of Lynx! It's a GREAT system, not just in terms of hand-helds, but in terms of consoles in general.

You should try picking up Tournament Cyberball. It's a great Football game with a cybernetic twist, and whats great is it can be had brand new for under $5 bucks! Check it out for sale right here at Atari Age :-)

http://www.atariage.com/store/product_info...&products_id=70

My favourites:

- Steel Talons (very common, easy to find, but very good)

- Blue Lightning (a bit rare, but excellent)

- Battlewheels (bit of a rarity, but well worth finding!)

- Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (I seem to be the only one that liked this, but I thought it was cool)

- California Games (common and one of the most enjoyable Lynx titles)

- Checkered Flag (good racer)

- Chip's Challenge (a common, perennial classic)

- Gauntlet (classic - one of the few played in vertical mode)

- Hard Drivin' (hard to believe the Lynx pulled this off. A rarity, but cool)

- Joust (classic!)

- Ms. Pac Man (another classic!)

- Qix (yet another classic)

- Rampage (a bit expensive, but one of the greatest)

- Road Blasters (another great arcade conversion)

- Scrapyard Dog (great platformer)

- S.T.U.N. Runner (fairly common but popular, so it can get pricey -- very good title)

- Super Skweek (great omniscrolling arcade game)

Big list, but all of these are well worth seeking out.

How fast is ms.pacman, if it's comparable to the 7800 version it must be great,

ninja gaiden 3 is the nes port isn't it?... I like it on nes I wonder how it holds up on the lynx

I'm looking foward to xybots though since I assume it and chips challenge will be the only games I have for a while after it arrives, games seem to be alot easier to get than anything for the game gear though, which it seems the are about 2 copies of ever game except sonic 2.

How fast is ms.pacman, if it's comparable to the 7800 version it must be great,

It is. In addition to the original game, it has an 'advanced' version with a lot more mazes (21) and a 'turbo' button. I believe it's the only system on which this variation of Ms. Pac-Man exists.

Definite buy.

I'm looking foward to xybots though since I assume it and chips challenge will be the only games I have for a while after it arrives, games seem to be alot easier to get than anything for the game gear though, which it seems the are about 2 copies of ever game except sonic 2.

Both of those games will keep you busy for a while. Chip's is a great puzzler with loads of progressively more challenging levels. Xybots is an excellent arcade port, very faithful to the original and lots of great gameplay packed into it.

Games I have:

Steel Talons: it's ok, its not great

Tournament Cyberball 2021: i like this game alot, for me it's fun

Hydra: very good, like Roadblasters

Kung Food: STAY AWAY!!! HORRIBLE GAME

Super Skweek: very fun

Chips Challenge: ok, not my cup of tea

Crystal Mines II: kinda like Chips challenge but more fun

Roadblasters: great game, one of my all time favs

Gates of Zendicon: good space shooter, nice graphics and effects

Xybots: kinda slow, but still fun

Games i've played

Shanghai: great game if you like Mah Jong or whatever

Rygar: best side scroller game i've played on the Lynx

Switchblade 2: it's ok, didn't play that much

Fat Bobby: horrible

Pole Position: good racing game

Electrocop: interesting adventure type game, was good

Ms Pacman & Chips Challenge are both excellent games. Chips is a basically a puzzler but it is well done. Crystal Mines II is also good if you like the genre. Klax is another great puzzler but along different lines.

If you like arcade conversions: Xenophobe, Rygar, Roadblasters, STUN Runner, and A.P.B. are all execellent ports and among the my top favorites. The only issue I have w/ Rygar is the lack of the ability to shoot up and spin your weapon around other than that it's almost perfect.

"Hard Drivin'", "Tournament Cyberball", "Gordo 106", "NFL Football", "Hockey" (how COULD they misspell "Winnipeg"?) and "Ninja Gaiden III

I'm fairly certain that I might be in the minority here but I actually liked Gordo 106. I guess I'm easily amused by running monkeys :D .

Pole Position: good racing game

I think he means checked flag (excellent game too). Pole Position doesn't exist on the lynx.

"Hard Drivin'"

I dunno -- Hard Drivin' plays pretty slowly on the Lynx, but I'd have to give it props for even trying. Given what there was to work with, that this existed at all is impressive.

Of course, S.T.U.N. Runner had the same technical challenges and it came off much better.

I dunno -- Hard Drivin' plays pretty slowly on the Lynx, but I'd have to give it props for even trying.  Given what there was to work with, that this existed at all is impressive.

Of course, S.T.U.N. Runner had the same technical challenges and it came off much better.

You can't really compare them on the Lynx.

Sure both arcade games used vector graphics, but the Lynx ports used different techniques to adapt the games:

- Hard Drivin' still uses vector graphics on the Lynx. (needs a lot processing power and fast mathematical calculations)

- S.T.U.N. Runner on the Lynx uses zoomed sprites, which can be done very fast on the Lynx due to it's hardware scaling abilities.

In addition to the original game, it has an 'advanced' version with a lot more mazes (21) and a 'turbo' button.  I believe it's the only system on which this variation of Ms. Pac-Man exists.

Actually the SNES and Genesis versions also have these extra features. The SMS version may as well; I can't remember at this point.

It's a little after the fact, but here are my Lynx recommendations: KLAX, STUN Runner, RoadBlasters, Chip's Challenge, California Games, and Shanghai (one of those brain teaser games you either like or don't, and I like it). Almost all of the arcade ports on the Lynx are excellent, with a couple of exceptions. Paperboy is a baffling disappointment; it's not bad, but it seems a far cry from what the Lynx is actually capable of, especially when you see the scrolling techniques used in the BMX game in California Games. Hard Drivin' is also a far cry from its arcade counterpart, but then again, there isn't any home version that's going to be as good as the arcade game, and the Lynx actually does a pretty decent job with the 3-D rendering.

In addition to the original game, it has an 'advanced' version with a lot more mazes (21) and a 'turbo' button.  I believe it's the only system on which this variation of Ms. Pac-Man exists.

Actually the SNES and Genesis versions also have these extra features. The SMS version may as well; I can't remember at this point.

[Johnny Carson]

I did not know that.

[/Johnny Carson]

Are they the same extra levels?

Rampart is hands-down the best game on the Lynx. I can't believe no one has even mentioned it yet!

All the Rampart freaks have been too busy playing that game to post in this thread. ;)

I am also just bought a lynx + a couple of games and I must say that rampart is my favourite (so far).

Really cool game.

ninja gaiden 3 is the nes port isn't it?...  I like it on nes I wonder how it holds up on the lynx

I like the Lynx version of Ninja Gaiden 3. The graphics is a bit tiny but very nice in-between the stages. Just like the NES-version. Music and controls are great. :)

BTW most people know about the Sonic image displayed on a Lynx screen in a catalog, right? This was obviously a misprint. In an other Lynx catalog (Grey Matters/Batman catalog) there was a picture of Ninja Gaiden NES box!! With the "Nintendo seal of quality" :D

Rampart: Graet game I agree. But a bit to easy and to short. I finish the game every time I play it nowadays :P My next goal in Rampart is to see if it's possible to reach 99 990 point. If you beat the game without using any continue there is no way you will get more then 80 000 points. The trick is to use your continue in the right way.