IGNORED

Should "Deflektor" really be listed as "unrel

I note that most collectors' lists have "Deflektor" as an "unrealeased" or "prototype" game.

I understand, however, that Atari UK actually did sell a few hundred copies of "Deflektor" on tape in the early '90s, and at least one other company also released cartridges in the early '90s. It's also (unlike, say, "MIDIMaze" and "Commando") been available as a ROM image to most enthusiasts since the '90s.

My Q: shouldn't the status of "Deflektor" be changed to "limited release"?

I understand, however, that Atari UK actually did sell a few hundred copies of "Deflektor" on tape in the early '90s, and at least one other company also released cartridges in the early '90s. It's also (unlike, say, "MIDIMaze" and "Commando") been available as a ROM image to most enthusiasts since the '90s.

Where did you hear this theory of "a few hundred copies sold on tape"? Atari UK had some other games slated for tape release and they didn't appear until Derek Fern bought part of the inventory.

Moreover, had Deflektor really been released on tape, you'd find an executable of the game floating around, not a cartridge image.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

BTW, all the cartridges listed on eBay UK are Micro Discount releases, not pirate or anything (Tower Toppler, Deflektor...).

--

Atari Froghttp://www.atarimania.com

I was specifically referring to the Micro Discount releases. :)

I'd certainly like to see more info about these cart releases in the '90s. For instance, was this done under a licensing agreement from Atari, ie. Telegames Lynx releases, or did Micro Discount buy up old stock and reissue it under their brand when Atari liquidated? There's bound to be an interesting story in there somewhere. :)

@ tape releases: there have been a number of posted reports, which I have read on a number of sites, indicating that some titles which were planned for XE cartridge releases actually did get distributed in England on tape in '93 or '94. Deflektor was cited to be one of those titles. I'll look for a link for you; this may be more BS, but, if so, it certainly was a widely-repeated rumour.

BTW, all the cartridges listed on eBay UK are Micro Discount releases, not pirate or anything (Tower Toppler, Deflektor...).

Hi

This is the picture of the Micro-Discount Deflector cartridge on Ebay:

deflector.jpg

What comes to my attention is the fact that the EPROM is soldered onto a XE super cart revision B: how can this be accomplished? I know EPROM pinout differs from Atari ROM pinout used on XE cartridges...

Did they use modified XE cartridges for this purpose?

Regards

I'd certainly like to see more info about these cart releases in the '90s. For instance, was this done under a licensing agreement from Atari, ie. Telegames Lynx releases, or did Micro Discount buy up old stock and reissue it under their brand when Atari liquidated?

The only thing I don't remember is whether ALL the cartridges came directly from Atari UK... It could be Derek Fern produced part of what he sold as well.

Anyway, what I can tell you is that Atari UK had no more interest in the A8 and tried to sell the rights to what they had (or at least, part of it). Only Micro Discount managed to get some of the stuff.

@ tape releases: there have been a number of posted reports, which I have read on a number of sites, indicating that some titles which were planned for XE cartridge releases actually did get distributed in England on tape in '93 or '94. Deflektor was cited to be one of those titles. I'll look for a link for you; this may be more BS, but, if so, it certainly was a widely-repeated rumour.

The A8 was DEAD AND BURIED in the UK at that time: a very small "scene", no dealer at all willing to carry A8 software, dwindling magazine support... You only had three or four mail order houses and Micro Discount trying to do something.

Anyway, apart from Tower Toppler (which doesn't seem to be finished) and Deflektor, I can't think of another game from the UK which was to be cartridge-based (maybe with the exception of some "rumor mill" titles of course). All the other programs were to be sold on tape (serial numbers are available for some of them). Again, had any other title been distributed on cassette, you can be sure it would have been cracked and spread...

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com