IGNORED

Serial Numbers

dirty2600

Does anyone know where I could find a list of 2600 serial numbers? I recently aquired a CX2600 and was wonderin what its value might be. I also need a coax adapter and a power adapter, I found them on the net but was wonderin if maybe radio shack had em? thanks

I'm not sure of a place where you can look up serial numbers, but yes, you can find hookups at Radio Shack. Get an RCA-to-coax adapter (you plug the 2600's RF cable at one end and then you plug it into your TV's cable input) and a 9V DC power supply (make sure it's rated at 500mA or higher).

I'm not sure of a place where you can look up serial numbers

The closest thing to a list of heavy sixer numbers can be found on George's site. ;)

http://www.netmodem.com/claddagh/stellasboneyard.htm

I bet that "Goodwill Computer Store, Austin, TX" was reported by Alex (who helped set up their museum). Doesn't look like that page has been updated in a while, though. And it's really hard to differentiate Atari 2600 systems value-wise, based on their serial number. Maybe if a system had a very low serial number and it was signed by some ex-Atari employees, it might fetch a higher value, but outside of that, I don't think too many people get too worked up about serial numbers.

..Al

Actually i talked to a guy today that thought that my serial number wasnt normal and it was some sort of promotional version? its serial number is 53585P which was kind of weird since the first two numbers are year and the last two are month and day (i was told anyway)

Actually i talked to a guy today that thought that my serial number wasnt normal and it was some sort of promotional version? its serial number is 53585P which was kind of weird since the first two numbers are year and the last two are month and day (i was told anyway)

Your Atari was made May 85th, 1953? You're right, kind of weird. :D

That is a strange serial number, but I don't know if it means it's a promotional version. The 2600 I have that's a promo console has SN 307421. Seems like a fairly standard number to me.

By that dating convention given to you, that would mean my 2600 was made on 74-21-1930. :P

RadioShack has the coaxil adapter for sure, the part number is 278-255B. You need to take this with you, or you'll end up searching through a bunch of drawers full of adapters like I did (great customer service, btw). They ran like $4.50 or so I think. They are also available in the AA store, or were when I was looking for one for $3 (here it is http://www.atariage.com/store/product_info...products_id=42). However, if you're like me and not willing to wait, RadioShack and ONLY RadioShack has them.

-JD

There is a thread on here with some numbers on it.

I found one, not sure how many there are. This thread is from May, 2004:

Atari 2600: Serial-number of your VCS

And here's an interesting post in another thread about serial numbers that talks about what they mean:

Atari 2600: In search of the Oldest 2600 VCS

If you do a search for "serial number" and restrict your search to the 2600 forum, you'll find more threads.

..Al

Here is an idea that maybe totally stupid. What if this site had a page were you could go and register your 2600 serial #'s and information about were you are located. I think it would be interesting to see if certain runs of serial #'s match up to certain geographical areas etc. There might be some other interesting things you could do with this information as well. Who knows.

-Tim

Seems somewhat pointless and time consuming, but for the record:

AT860982927- Jr. model purchased two years ago from ebay. Seller was from New York state.

82491484- 4 switch woody. purchased 20 years ago at garage sale in small town near Kansas City, MO.

I now live in KC. This kind of reminds me of Where's George, only everyone would always be the first to have registered their atari! :)

-JD

That would be a registry. There is a 2600 registry somewhere already, just don't remember where. I remember entering my data in it a few years back. Registries aren't pointless. They serve a purpose. I have a Vintage RV (GMC...Think Stripes EM-50) and there is a registry for those. It lets us know how many are still on the road (~9000 out of ~14000 built) and tells potential vendors if there is a market for their product. Vendors and excellent replacement parts are popping up all the time because of it.

According to what they were sayin on on of the threads Albert linked to my vcs was the 53585th of the group P made wich would make it fairly new compared to many other vcs' but that still dosent explain that theres only 5 numbers and they dont coincide with the whole year is the first two numbers idea. I'm not sure of any of the history on my 2600 so I cant ask the previous owner when it was purchased so this only makes this that much more confusing.

According to what they were sayin on on of the threads Albert linked to my vcs was the 53585th of the group P made wich would make it fairly new compared to many other vcs' but that still dosent explain that theres only 5 numbers and they dont coincide with the whole year is the first two numbers idea. I'm not sure of any of the history on my 2600 so I cant ask the previous owner when it was purchased so this only makes this that much more confusing.

Different VCS models have different S/N schemes. Only the Sunnyvale-made heavy-sixers use the sequential number and letter batch scheme, so from what your describing, it sounds like you have a mid-production heavy-sixer.

The S/N schemes on other VCS models vary. S/N that begin with the truncated year of manufacture (81xxxxxx) can be found on some, but not all, light-sixers, woodies, vaders, and juniors. Heavy-sixers do not use this scheme.