IGNORED

Qs on NES to Atari controller mod

The MilkMan

I'm following the instructions from the FAQ section. Everything makes sence, except the following instructions...

"Chip Socket Diagram

A B C D E F G H

I J K L M N O P

5) Take a razor blade and cut the circuits in the board directly

above holes I, J, K, L, & M.

6) Directly to the right of the chip socket, there will be four

vertical black stripes. Take a razor blade and cut at the BOTTOM

of the fourth stripe where it connects to a circuit."

Question1: In step 5 it states to cut ABOVE hole I. Well, on my NES pad, there is only a circuit strip UNDER hole I. But JKL&M have circuits under them. Am I looking at the NES circuit board upside down or something? For reference, my NES board is green side UP, and directional pad on my left.

Question2: Step 6 wants me to cut the circuit under the 4th black stripe. Ok fine, Once I figure out which way this board is supposed to sit, I'll know which left or right side black stripes to look at.

Any suggestions?

Its easy.

All you do is, trace the buttons you want to solder. There is ground (this lead connects to everything) then there is each individual lead that goes to each button. Basically trace that and isolate it from everything else. Cutting the chip should do the trick itself, but as I said, its just a matter of isolating each lead so that when you press say, up, it will not interfere with say, left.

Dude, if you absolutely want to use a joypad on your 2600 (personally, I think it's blasphemy - How can you not love the CX-40 Joystick?), don't put out the effort to mod an NES pad, just get a Sega Genesis controller, or a Sega Master System joypad. Both are Atari compatible without having to modify them, and they're more comfortable to hold than that stupid NES pad. That little cramp machine was one of the worst controllers I've ever used.

Dude, if you absolutely want to use a joypad on your 2600 (personally, I think it's blasphemy - How can you not love the CX-40 Joystick?), don't put out the effort to mod an NES pad, just get a Sega Genesis controller, or a Sega Master System joypad. Both are Atari compatible without having to modify them, and they're more comfortable to hold than that stupid NES pad. That little cramp machine was one of the worst controllers I've ever used.

LOL...it's ok. I have alot of CX-40s laying around. This particular joystick was/is in quite a funky state anyway. Someone had chewed on the end of the stick, so a bunch of bite marks are on it. Previous owner smoked, 'cause it smells like cigarettes. And overall, the plastic inner ring was about shot. I have a bunch of NES pads laying around too. So, I'm bored, I'm in a soldering kinda mood, I figured..what the hell.

I plan on painting the NES block pad black/brown/gold Atari logo etc., at least to "match" the 'ol VCS. Maybe see if I can find some woodgrain sticker stuff too.

And nothing will ever compete against my SlikStik. That is my regular.

What about making the D-pad and buttons look silver like the switches on a VCS?

Yeah, that might be good. Although, I would have to paint them. I'm affraid that over time the paint would rub/wear off. Those plastic buttons and D-pad are dyed...maybe if I find some aluminum or metal replacements! That would be cool!

Hmm. I might do a mostly black one to match a regular 2600 joystick.