IGNORED

I dread picking a HSC game... how bout suggestions?

Blackjack

I think it's time to put up a nice page that lists all the past 2600 High Score Contests, with a link to each thread and the winner. Might make it a bit easier to choose additional challenges down the road, plus it would be nice to have them all indexed together on one page. :)

..Al

there is a thread that lists all the games picked up until now.  Ze_ro has been updating it as well

Yep, I regularly* update the High Score Club Rules & Info Thread with a listing of all the games played, as well as links to the appropriate thread and other info. I link to it every week when I post the latest game, although I'm not sure how many people actually read through it all.

* For varying defitions of the word "regular"

--Zero

there is a thread that lists all the games picked up until now.  Ze_ro has been updating it as well

Yep, I regularly* update the High Score Club Rules & Info Thread with a listing of all the games played, as well as links to the appropriate thread and other info. I link to it every week when I post the latest game, although I'm not sure how many people actually read through it all.

--Zero

Duhhrr, of course, I have seen that thread before, but completely spaced on it when I posted earlier. It must take forever to edit that post! At least it'll be quick with the new software. I must warn you, the new forum software is going to horribly crucify all the nicely formatted HTML messages you've been posting. It seems to strip out and/or override a good amount of the HTML you are using, so the messages don't look quite as nice (although they are still readable). Not much I can do about that, unfortunately, and I've already spent some time looking into it. :(

..Al

--Zero

Duhhrr, of course, I have seen that thread before, but completely spaced on it when I posted earlier. It must take forever to edit that post! At least it'll be quick with the new software. I must warn you, the new forum software is going to horribly crucify all the nicely formatted HTML messages you've been posting. It seems to strip out and/or override a good amount of the HTML you are using, so the messages don't look quite as nice (although they are still readable). Not much I can do about that, unfortunately, and I've already spent some time looking into it. :(

..Al

Maybe it'd be easier to archive the old HSC threads instead of keeping them active. :ponder:

Duhhrr, of course, I have seen that thread before, but completely spaced on it when I posted earlier.  It must take forever to edit that post!  At least it'll be quick with the new software.

Actually, the only reason it takes as long as it does is usually because I wait like, 5 months between updates and then have that much more stuff to add into it... In fact, pretty much all of the HSC stuff comes down to copying, pasting, and then editing in the appropriate info... In reality, things probably take WAY less time than people think. One of these days I still need to take the time to reverse the order on the Season 1 listing... why on earth I decided to have it in reverse order in the first place is something I'll never know.

On the other hand, if you're referring more to the delay caused by the forum software, then yes, it seems to take an awfully long time... but I've mostly gotten used to that. However, I often worry that the entire forum might be grinding to a halt for everyone else while my post edits go through :ponder: If anyone happens to catch the site taking a LONG time to do something, check the list to see if I'm online, and then you probably know the cause :P

I must warn you, the new forum software is going to horribly crucify all the nicely formatted HTML messages you've been posting.  It seems to strip out and/or override a good amount of the HTML you are using, so the messages don't look quite as nice (although they are still readable)

D'oh! I was actually hoping the new software might be a little more cooperative as far as HTML goes... phpBB doesn't like whitespace, so all my tags have to be back-to-back in the post, which makes things a bit touchy. Sounds like there might be a pretty steep learning curve for me when the changeover hits... Does the new software support more BBCode tags? I've noticed that trying to include HTML tags that duplicate existing BBCode tags (like making lists, bold and colored text and so forth) seem to barf on the existing software, so perhaps it will just be a matter of swapping tags to get it to work *crosses fingers*, although even still, thats almost 50 threads to go through fixing up formatting.

One of these days, I hope to dump spreadsheets altogether and consolidate all the data into an SQL database and automate things for the most part, which might make it easier to just host each HSC page on my own server (Unless the new software allows me to include PHP scripting within posts ;) ). Oh well, I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Incidentally, does the new software have any particular limits on topic length? I'm not sure what the current limit on this software is, but I remember I hit it quite hard during all the Atarilympics stuff (Boy, was that a tough thread to edit!)

--Zero

Maybe it'd be easier to archive the old HSC threads instead of keeping them active. :ponder:

Even if they are archived, they still need to be imported into the old software, as I am not going to leave the old forum online (and links to the old forum will redirect to the new). However, I do plan on organizing all the high score contests into their own forum, as the various High Score Contest threads (and not just for the 2600) are scattered all over the place right now.

..Al

On the other hand, if you're referring more to the delay caused by the forum software, then yes, it seems to take an awfully long time... but I've mostly gotten used to that. However, I often worry that the entire forum might be grinding to a halt for everyone else while my post edits go through :ponder: If anyone happens to catch the site taking a LONG time to do something, check the list to see if I'm online, and then you probably know the cause :P

Yeah, I was talking about the long time it takes for the forum to actually edit a message once you click the "Submit" button. This delay will go away once we switch over to IPB. And editing messages does cause the rest of the forum to slow down a bit (especially if multiple edits are taking place), and this is the reason why the Edit button is currently disabled.

D'oh! I was actually hoping the new software might be a little more cooperative as far as HTML goes... phpBB doesn't like whitespace, so all my tags have to be back-to-back in the post, which makes things a bit touchy. Sounds like there might be a pretty steep learning curve for me when the changeover hits... Does the new software support more BBCode tags? I've noticed that trying to include HTML tags that duplicate existing BBCode tags (like making lists, bold and colored text and so forth) seem to barf on the existing software, so perhaps it will just be a matter of swapping tags to get it to work *crosses fingers*, although even still, thats almost 50 threads to go through fixing up formatting.

Yes, the new software does support BBCode tags. I'll give you access to the new forum so you can take a look at the existing HSC threads and see if you can figure out a nice way to format future posts. I didn't think you'd want to go back and edit the previous 50 threads. Ack!

One of these days, I hope to dump spreadsheets altogether and consolidate all the data into an SQL database and automate things for the most part, which might make it easier to just host each HSC page on my own server (Unless the new software allows me to include PHP scripting within posts ;) ). Oh well, I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I'd be happy to host that on AtariAge if you want to put that together. There's no way to use PHP scripting within posts (I can't even imagine how that might be abused.. )

Incidentally, does the new software have any particular limits on topic length? I'm not sure what the current limit on this software is, but I remember I hit it quite hard during all the Atarilympics stuff (Boy, was that a tough thread to edit!)

There are limits, but I can easily change them, so that won't be a problem again. :)

..Al