IGNORED

Atari 800 problem

Martin72

Hi, i bought a Atari 800 and with gamecartridges like space invaders, ms pacman, crossbow etc, the computer works fine. Even with games from disk drive works fine. But when i attach the basic or assembler editor cartridge the computer hang up it self. It doesn't matter if i use dos or not.

There´s nothing then switch off and on the computer again.

I test the cartridges in a 600xl and 800xl and the cartridges works fine in this computers.

I have changed the CPU board and changed on the motherboard almost every chip, but nothing changed.

So my question is: what is the difference in what happened in a gamecartridge and the basic cartridge?

Could it be a problem in the ROM card (i have ntsc revA in it) or maybe in the RAM cards (3 x 16kB)?

Even the maxflash8mB cartridge from atarimax works fine.

I don´t know where i must look now. I don´t have another ROM chips then from a atari XL. Is it possible to place a eprom 27c128 with NTSC ROM ver.B in the ROM card or must i change many to the hardware?

Thanks,

Martin

Silly question, but, have you tried cleaning the contacts on the cartridges? - the cartridges just may not be seating in the same way in the 800 as the 600XL/800XL - slightly different connector sizes/angles etc. - unlikely, I know, but it seems such a strange problem (I've never owned an 800 myself though).

Hi, thank you for the response. Of course i have cleaned the contacts. But the game cartridges (i tried 10 difference cartridges) work all fine, and the basic cartridge works good in a atari 600xl and atari 800xl. I have checked the contacts of the basic cartridge and the contacts of the 800

You're right, the assembler editor cartridge has the same problem. The boot proces works good, but after dos is loaded, the computer hang up again. So maybe you have a point. I think i must program a 2764 with another OS software. Has somebody experiences with this in a old 800 computer? There are three ROM´s. I think it is the best thing to leave ROM D and remove ROM E and F and place a 2764 eprom with OS software.

I can program this eprom after easter holiday. I will let you know if this works.

I programmed an eprom 2764 with PAL-OS-REVA and test again the atari, but no differences with the original os rom (NTSC revA). The problem is still there....

I placed a PAL OS because i have rebuild the atari 800 to a PAL version. ( the problem was in original situation also present)

So, if somebody can help me with this problem, you´re welcome.

Martin