IGNORED

Sad News About Globetrotter

Atari Charles

Well, I got a call for the RCMP, and they told me to come to the their police detachment in Vernon as they have the suspect in custody and they have the Trotter Cart and somehow it's original case(the busted up case was a ruse by P.M.).

As one picture can say a thousand words, I'll let these pics of the thief in the booking section of the detachment speak for themselves.

post-4697-1112862699_thumb.jpg

Too funny. :lol:

I was unsure what to believe when it was said that the postal service was being so cooperative and that you guys were in contact with an RCMP constable. I don't know how Canadian cops are; When I was robbed (stolen checkbook) a few years back, I filed a police report and even went as far as to get a tape of the thief from one of the department stores. I've still never heard back from the police.

Then, of course, no one should call the postal service except Gateway or Ataricharles.

128bytes post had me in hysterics... :-D

Btw, the ransom letter is priceless. P.M. = Pac-Man... hahahahha!

"FUCTIONAL", eh?

Someone should learn spelling.

Pac-Man spelled functional "fuctional" as a play on words as his original Japanese name was puc-man. The letter "p" sounds like "pf" and thus you have fuctional.

Well all is well in Canada. Trotter has been recouvered and Pac-Man is in jail(at least for the time being).

Okay, I apologize if anybody feels slighted or disappointed at the poor execution of this April Fool's joke. I accept blame. Frankly, I'm glad it's over now.

I actually had an unrelated April Fool's idea but that wasn't going to work out, so I thought about Trotter being lost or stolen as a joke, with only a few days until April 1st. Since Atari Charles was to get Trotter next, and the Canadian post doesn't have the best reputation, I emailed Charles about it and he agreed to help me with this gag. I commend Charles for his willingness to see this through.

I take blame for the execution: My birthday, my sister-in-law's ongoing child custody battle for her girls, tempermental Internet connection, playing email tag with Charles, blah, blah, a bunch of these things that week didn't help keep the pace going, and before I know it, it's almost a week later! :roll: :dunce: :ponder:

For my part, Better planning and less time spent on perfecting the "fake" crushed case and package may have ensured this joke wrap itself up by April 2nd, and perhaps been more humorous and less hackneyed. :|

I want to assure everyone, I will never "cry wolf" again in regards to Globetrotter being stolen, damaged or lost. This was only meant as an April Fool's joke to get a laugh and nothing more. If, Heaven forbid, the Trotter goes missing or damaged in the future, it will not be of my doing. It would be the real deal.

Also, if anybody is wondering, the thread I made about my sister going to the hospital was NOT part of the joke, she really DID have a large cyst on her ovary. Fortunately, it has since mostly disappeared and she has returned to work. Thanks again for all the well-wishes.

Based on past years, The vast majority of members here are very sharp and catch on quickly, so setting up an April Fool's joke takes time and focus, more than I ended up being able to devote to it this past week. My hats off to those of you who made the 7800 Q*bert joke a success. 8)

For those of you who were still able to find humour in this, even on April 7th, thank you. :) Globetrotter will continue his travels as before( no joke ). Also, I thank Atari Charles for his ideas and photos, etc.

If anybody feels they have a bone to pick with me or have questions, please send me a PM and I'll do my best to resolve any concerns. :)

The "emailing" of a typed ransom note was your fatal mistake. :)

Atari Charles and I agreed that each update one of us made would intentionally sound a bit more and more ridiculous from the previous update. :)

So how did you make Trotter's keychain look broken? Maybe it really is?

I had a Trotter keychain of my own that I first got at PC5 and wore it with my car and house keys since then. From constant wear and tear, I guess, it broke and came off my keyring a while ago. I still had it lying around, plus I "borrowed" the metal ring from keychain included with the Haunted Adventure Pak, to include in the mock up photos.

I found a similar VHS case, but it was black, so I changed it to brown using PaintShop Pro. 8)

@ Zach: Also, thanks for your comments in your last PM. :)

For the most part, I am glad how the prank played out. There were a few of you who didn't believe it and probably felt it was a gag from the get-go, once you saw my name attached.

Trotter is alive and well. And yes, Pac-Man was a bad influence on him. What can I say?

I have a bunch of pictures of Trotter taken in various places in Kelowna. If I end up having him a bit longer, I will try and get his picture with some local nefarious people who could be on the wrong side of things. That's all I can say.

I have all the trooter pics Zipped, so if anyone is able to host these pics somewhere for download, PM me.

For what it is worth Albert.. everything I send to Europe and Australia arrives faster than what I send to the USA...  I don't know what the real problem is, but it seems to coexist between the USPS and Canada Post..  

I have no problems with delivery times within Canada, most packages I send within my own province arrive the next day, even at letter rates.

I don't receive many packages from Canada, so I really can't comment on that. However, I do send a large number of packages overseas (mostly to Europe, but also to Australia) and those nearly always arrive in a reasonable amount of time. Often a package to some parts of Europe will arrive in about a week. Australia usually takes a little longer. But sending packages to Canada is wildly unpredictable.

I know that Canada Post has gotten much stricter with regards to properly addressing packages as well as with proper filling out of customs forms. I also heard that Canadian Customs workers were on some sort of strike, which seemed to coincide with when the slow shipping times began (back in September or so). Not sure if that last bit is true, but I have seen information about the addressing and customs rules, I think that was even highlighted somewhere on the USPS site. So I generally blame Canada. :)

..Al