IGNORED

Did Tramiel manufacture Vaders?

Joey Kay

The latest ET thread has me thinking...

Atari manufactured more ET games than they had sold 2600s on the belief that the game would move the system. Well, we know the rest of that story.

Anyhow, if Atari believed 2600s were going to move off of shelves, they would have manufactured the consoles.

Now, the 2600jr appeared in 1986, and I don't recall the 2600 ever disappearing off of store shelves between the Tramiel take-over and the Jr. debut.

In fact, there's 1985 CES pics where vaders were on display at Atari's booth, so it's not like Tramiel's Atari totally abandoned the line... there were still a few bucks to be made and Tramiel needed capital flowing into the company. But, I've never seen a vader in Atari Corp. (not Inc.) packaging.

So, did Tramiel manufacture any Vader machines, or was all that stock leftovers from the Warner days of 1983?

Cheers!

Joey

Now, the 2600jr appeared in 1986, and I don't recall the 2600 ever disappearing off of store shelves between the Tramiel take-over and the Jr. debut.
I recall it disappearing from store shelves. If they were still showing off Vaders in 1985, I don't know where they would have been selling them other than through mail order.