IGNORED

Is the 2600 region-free??....

ataridave

I'm not much of a hardware guy, but I wonder if it would be possible to make an adapter (say a cartridge) that you could plug a PAL cart into and have it convert it to NTSC, and there for playable on a US system. Is that even doable? It would probably sell pretty well...

I'm not much of a hardware guy, but I wonder if it would be possible to make an adapter (say a cartridge) that you could plug a PAL cart into and have it convert it to NTSC, and there for playable on a US system. Is that even doable? It would probably sell pretty well...

I doubt it since the main difference in is the number of scanlines it displays, which I doubt is possible to change at the hardware level.

Great, thanks for the info!  I actually really like this port of Xenophobe; it's leagues ahead, IMO, of the lousy NES version.

"he 2600 region free? If only... icon_sad.gif"

I hear 'ya Spector; I wish ALL console were region-free!

Sheesh, NES Xenophobe is the only cartridge that I actually sold off my only copy because it was so bad. (I eventually ended up with another one later.)

If the original poster is serious about playing Xenophobe, I suggest he looks for the 7800 version. It's pretty decent, even if the 7800 graphics are a bit low-rez compared to the original. Be warned that this game requires a genuine 7800 joystick, though I'm not sure what the right button was used for.

There's also a minor bug in the 7800 version that if you play the right player only long enough, after a while player 1 will start on its own.

As for region-ness, other than PAL/NTSC issues, the first console to officially support regions was the NES, by using a different lockout chip per region, as well as a different cartridge slot from the Japanese versions of games. The 7800 sort of supported regions, but the support was (AFAIK) never used, and in fact the encryption was abandoned in the PAL version.

But definitely, nothing before 1984 had region lockouts. (Hail, Big Brother!)

Just get a TV that can automatically adjust it's vertical hold, or at the very least, a TV that has an adjustable v-hold. Unfortunately that won't stop the colors from being wrong, but it will at least make the game playable.

Well, not exactly, but a Krokodile cart or CC2 will pretty much do the same thing. :D

Mitch

Actually this is possible, but it is not technically trivial to do this conversion.

The real issue is that only recently has there been hardware that is fast enough to convert at reasonably high quality without super-high cost, but the advent of digital video obviated much of the need for such conversion, so the demand is not high. This means that converters are available but they are not particularly cheap. Depending on the quality you desire, you could spend from $100 to thousands.