IGNORED

Pitfall and Final Approach Questions

bworth

My first questions relates to the first Pitfall game. I have both Pitfall and Pitfall II. I have beaten Pitfall II numerous times. However I can't say the same about the first. Is there actually a way to beat that game? Or do you just play for points? My older brother and I never figured it out.

Secondly, I have a game called Final Approach. It was released around 1982 by Apollo Games. My entire family and I used to play the 2600 when I was a kid and none of us ever figured out how to play that game. Does anyone know or have any suggestions?

My first questions relates to the first Pitfall game.  I have both Pitfall and Pitfall II.  I have beaten Pitfall II numerous times.  However I can't say the same about the first.  Is there actually a way to beat that game?  Or do you just play for points?  My older brother and I never figured it out.

836081[/snapback]

The ultimate goal of Pitfall 1 is to attain a perfect score of 114,000. To 'beat' the game, you have to find all the treasures before your 20 minutes runs out. If you can accomplish that, the game will simply freeze.

My first questions relates to the first Pitfall game.  I have both Pitfall and Pitfall II.  I have beaten Pitfall II numerous times.  However I can't say the same about the first.  Is there actually a way to beat that game?  Or do you just play for points?  My older brother and I never figured it out.

836081[/snapback]

The ultimate goal of Pitfall 1 is to attain a perfect score of 114,000. To 'beat' the game, you have to find all the treasures before your 20 minutes runs out. If you can accomplish that, the game will simply freeze.

836117[/snapback]

Aww, you mean Pitfall Harry doesn't do the victory dance like he did in Pitfall II?

I remember once back in the summer of 1987, I almost got to the end of the game. I must have been just one treasure away from the end because my score was over 100,000 and I'm sure I fell down a pit or two and got hit by a few logs.

One time, by "frying" Pitfall 1, I got a version where Pitfall Harry was at the top of the screen and he stayed up there until I hit the jump button. That means that I got to see every board there was and was able to map out the course and know what route to take. Actually, there were only a few shortcuts that you needed to take so as not to run out of time. In the game I was playing in '87, I got killed by a damn scorpion.

Pitfall! will end when you lose all lives, run out of time(20 minutes), or collect all 32 treasures. You do not need a perfect score of 114,000 for the game to end. It will freeze when you collect all the treasures regardless of whet score is remaining. I use a total of 6 underground passages. Each screen travelled underground is equal to 3 screen above ground. If you do not use at least 5 of the 6 tunnels, you will surely run out of time before you get to the end. The jungle is 255 screens, IIRC, and it loops back to the start if you were to go through them all. So starting by running to the right can essentially put you at the end of the jungle in the beginning of the game.