IGNORED

Thank God For The 7800

bworth

That may sound like an odd title for this topic but I have a good reason. The Atari 2600 was a staple in my house in the early to mid 1980s. We had the all black "Stella A". Everyone in my family played it at one time or another and we amassed a decent amount of games. It was around 30 which pales in comparison to some on this site but still provided us alot of fun. In the early 90s, a christmas or 2 after my parents split up, my dad purchased an Atari 7800 for me and my sister to play when we came to visit him on weekends. Hell, he bought it as much for himself as far as that goes. Anyway, I have this bad feeling that if he hadn't bought us that system, our collection of games may have ceased to exist. My mom has a bad habit of throwing stuff away or selling it in yard sales for next to nothing. When my dad got the system, we brought all of our 2600 games to his house as they were no longer being played at home. The games have survived my dad re-marrying and moving a couple times and even my step brother nearly selling them in his own yard sale this past summer. How they got to his house in the first place is still a mystery. But thankfully, the 7800 system and all the games are sitting safely in my bed room where they are still played from time to time. I hate to say that I really have no idea what ever happened to our old 2600 system. Anyone with similar stories...feel free to share.

Hmmmm I dunno. I dont even know what happened to my original 2600. I had my missile command cart (+ manual) and a haunted house manual for years before I discovered that my brothers wife had a 7800 sitting in a box. They were nice enough to give it to me. It was kinda cool to see the 7800 version of ms. pacman and to be able to replay dig dug again.

I had an intellivision II system as well that my mom gave away to a neighborhood girl (with my permission). But I really wish I woulda kept it. I had several carts for it.

Yeah, my dad throws everything away too. Fortunately, back in 87, I got an NES for christmas from my grandparents. My parents, wanting to avoid a sibling squabble, bought my kid brother a 2600 jr to avoid hard feelings, as our old system was KIA. This enabled us to drag the old 2600 games out of mothballs. A year later, I traded him a bunch of MASK and Transformers crap for the system and all 30 games. Lucky me. I still have all of my original stuff, and now have about 350 games. I often think how I would have crapped my pants back in the day if I knew how many games I would end up with. I still think it's strange to play the same cart that I was playing when I still found sesame street enthralling ;)

I still have the exact same system that I had as a child. It's sitting atop my entertaiment center and my Sears heavy sixer that was given to me is right next to it.

It won't work because I need to replace the RF cord sometime.

I also have some of the original copies of certain games that I played when I was younger.

The reason my parents never threw out the 2600, is because I hid it very well where they couldn't even find it! :D

My dad has told me that he doesn't want me to sell or give away the 2600 and so far, I've kept my end of that agreement.

836527[/snapback]

I just bought a new RF switch for my 7800 at Radio Shack. They sell them that are compatible with the Atari. You should be able to find the cord for it there too.

836527[/snapback]

I just bought a new RF switch for my 7800 at Radio Shack. They sell them that are compatible with the Atari. You should be able to find the cord for it there too.

838056[/snapback]

I was at radio shack and they want $10 for that? Sheiii'iiiit....