IGNORED

Troubles with my 2600

caleiam

Allright, I just pulled the atari out of my garage that we came into about 10 years ago to see how well it worked(or didn't). After doing some research I now know it's a 2600 and most likely a heavy sixer as it has 6 knobs and a California support number on the back. This is just some background before I get down to the problem.

I started by pluging the power and video in, then a paddle and a game. When I flick the switch nothing happens, not even a flicker on the screen. The only things I have noticed is that the power jack is really loose. Is there anyway to fix this or does anyone else know anything I could check before I go out and buy a new system?

I don't know if im pluging the video in right, I just take the thing from the back and plug it into the video hole on my TV. Is that right or is there some sort of adapter i need?

Allright. I pluged in the Game/TV adapter, and at first saw no change. Then when i jiggled the power plug it would turn from static to black-grey bars and stripes. So i think for sure it is where the power connects to the board, the little square piece is VERY loose when i removed the top. I still can't get a clear picture out of it when I move it every which way but it does respond. Could i solder the part down or maybe take it off and replace it?

Allright.  I pluged in the Game/TV adapter, and at first saw no change.  Then when i jiggled the power plug it would turn from static to black-grey bars and stripes.  So i think for sure it is where the power connects to the board, the little square piece is VERY loose when i removed the top.  I still can't get a clear picture out of it when I move it every which way but it does respond.  Could i solder the part down or maybe take it off and replace it?

836708[/snapback]

Sure, you can try that. Have you tried multiple channels (e.g. channel 3 and 4)?

Okay, i moved it and moved it and .... MRS. PACMAN WORKED!!! But if the console moves at all the power goes out :( .. So now i need something to fix this, i was thinking maybe put something to splint it because it appears to need to be lifted off the board to make the right connections. Has anyone ever had this and know a way to fix it?

A pernament fix is to open up the system. Basically, on the bottom of the board where the power jack is located, there are 3 solder points. What you want to do is to take a soldering iron, and remelt the solder. Just hold it there, it'll remelt and settle in and fill in the cracks.

Okay, I took sometime last night and re-soldered the connections. Everything works great but the left side of the screen has some little stripes of the game that move in about 10 pixels, and the pattern of indented pixels seems to be the same on every game.

Thanks for the help everyone, now i get to spend more time away from my computer.

Also does anyone know a site similar to this for NES or any other old systems? I have searched just looking for programing and I can't find a decent site.

Okay, I took sometime last night and re-soldered the connections.  Everything works great but the left side of the screen has some little stripes of the game that move in about 10 pixels, and the pattern of indented pixels seems to be the same on every game.

That is perfectly normal.

Okay, I took sometime last night and re-soldered the connections.  Everything works great but the left side of the screen has some little stripes of the game that move in about 10 pixels, and the pattern of indented pixels seems to be the same on every game.

Thanks for the help everyone, now i get to spend more time away from my computer.

Also does anyone know a site similar to this for NES or any other old systems? I have searched just looking for programing and I can't find a decent site.

837124[/snapback]

The lines on the left side of the screen are normal. just turn down the brightness a bit. You may also have to tweak the contrast.

enjoy.

837124[/snapback]

Thats's normal, most 2600 games do that. I don't know exactly how to explain it, but I think it is because of the way the video is generated. Someone with more knowledge could explain it better.

837124[/snapback]

Thats's normal, most 2600 games do that. I don't know exactly how to explain it, but I think it is because of the way the video is generated. Someone with more knowledge could explain it better.

837131[/snapback]

If you are referring to the black lines seen in this screenshot, they are because of the way TIA repositions sprites. Basically, if you reposition a sprite mid-screen you will get a black line on the left edge of the screen.

Well, there are some tricky ways around it, but not many games use those tricky methods as far as I know.

To hide the black lines, certain games (like Pitfall!) create these black lines on every scanline of the screen.

post-6060-1113510898_thumb.png