IGNORED

VCSp's now in production!

keilbaca

Atariboy, look at the design. Its 6 AA's, not a bulky camcorder battery.

Also, it looks to be better designed. Just don't hit the cart in the back.

And yes I plan on buying one too. Just not now, got more important matters that my hard earned money is going to. Qix!

I'm not worried about the battery issues, I mean stuff like the video quality and feel of the controls that he mentioned.

I don't plan to be using stuff like Activision carts in it if I buy it, doubt that would work very well (They seem to be real cranky for me and don't like even moving the system when playing them, unlike first party Atari carts). I'd like to buy one of those Krokodile Cartridges sometime if I do buy that.

Edited by Atariboy

I'm not worried about the battery issues, I mean stuff like the video quality and feel of the controls that he mentioned.

I don't plan to be using stuff like Activision carts in it if I buy it, doubt that work very well (They seem to be real cranky for me and don't like even moving the system when playing them, unlike first party Atari carts). I'd like to buy one of those Krokodile Cartridges sometime if I do buy that.

841633[/snapback]

Already got one in my big sexy (And i'm really glad too, or else I'd be playing this week's atari game on emulation... the rest of my atari games aren't here yet, they'll be here in may), and I plan on using it a LOT when I get the VCSp. Kaboom!, Quadrun, and Adventures of TRON All in one cart, now portable? *drools*

That was a couple years ago, so it's likely he's made improvements since then. But with the Rev 6 I just was not as pleased once I owned. The battery I was using was actually pretty small, probably weighed less than 6 AAs or about the same. The Rev 6 was not so much heavy as it was cumbersome, in my hands at least. A little larger than it looked online. All in all, it was alot nicer than anything I could ever hope to build, at least not without the help of a CNC machine. But still after seeing up close & personal, I saw room for improvements.

I wouldn't want to steer anyone away from purchasing one of these, but I think anyone interested should realize this is an amateur product. Ben builds these as a hobby.

In the reverse, I suppose someone could always take the components out of the portable, put a big box around it, and you'd have an atari again.

I thought he cleved a fair amount of bord off to make it portable. I KNOW he sacrifices "non-essential" switches like difficulty and TV type.

You'd think this device would suffer from overheating the components, why else would there be a need for all that space in the real atari.  Maybe a cooling fan is installed in the portable, I haven't read the site much.

I think the large deck is because it's what was expected.

I know they originally planned to stick speakers into the deck. That's a lot of air space when they abandoned the idea.

I've now spent a week playing the Phoenix..........It takes alot of getting used to looking at a small screen and the joypad. But once past those issues, it's awesome being able to play Atari anywhere I go.

The screen has some interference in the form of ghost lines, but not enough to distract from the gameplay.

If you can, I highly recommend getting one. :cool:

Noel

I got production #00002, and am discussing the pros and cons of it in Ben's forum here:

http://benheck.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3242

Basically, I'm very happy with it. It seems to be a very sturdy machine, although the buttons ARE rather loose. When you hold it upside down they fall out about two centimeters and jiggle much, but when held rightside up they are almost flush with the system. Also, the battery bay door is very loose. It often tries to open up when I'm playing it, maybe I get too excited with my breakout and frogger sessions lol.

Those are itty bitty problems though, all in all I'm very very happy with it. The video is better than RF, and the screen is slightly larger than GBA, and very bright :)

Buy one! you won't regret it!

Edited by firebug

I got production #00002, and am discussing the pros and cons of it in Ben's forum here:

http://benheck.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3242

Basically, I'm very happy with it. It seems to be a very sturdy machine, although the buttons ARE rather loose. When you hold it upside down they fall out about two centimeters and jiggle much, but when held rightside up they are almost flush with the system. Also, the battery bay door is very loose. It often tries to open up when I'm playing it, maybe I get too excited with my breakout and frogger sessions lol.

Those are itty bitty problems though, all in all I'm very very happy with it. The video is better than RF, and the screen is slightly larger than GBA, and very bright :)

Buy one! you won't regret it!

846984[/snapback]

I plan on, as soon as I have enough cash...