IGNORED

What game did you hate so bad you took back?

Spud

I never took back a game because it sucked.

Although most of my games at that time were gifts because I had no source of income other than a small allowance.

When I did manage to buy a game, I can recall returning it after a couple weeks to ToysRUs and trading it in for another game, I did this a few times. Not because I hated the game or anything, but more like I would play the hell out of it for 2 weeks, then want something new. This was before the days where you couldn't return opened software.

Enter the matrix is the only game in 20+ years of gaming that I hated so much I had to trade it in. Other than that every game has had at least some fun factor to it.

When you get a new 2600 game now, you have to remember what gaming was like 20 years ago to put thing in perspective.

Edited by jeepnut24

Keystone Kapers, if you can believe it. I can't remember what I ended up with instead. Nowadays, you'd have to pry it from my cold, dead, fingers. It's one of my favorite activision titles. Back then, I didn't like it. No accounting for taste when you're a kid I guess..

I have often brought back games and traded them in months later, but I have never just brought one back because I hated it (closest was Lord of the Rings RotK, I didn't keep that very long). The thought never entered my mind as a kid to do that; you bought something and it was yours. I would have viewed that like buying a movie and returning it because it wasn't any good. One of my friends said he almost cried over one game he bought as a kid: Captain America and the Avengers. It looked good on the case and he paid $75 Canadian for it. It blew massive chunks. It may be the worst game I have ever played for the SNES, or for any system for that matter. He still didn't even consider returning it.

Captain America and the Avengers.  It looked good on the case and he paid $75 Canadian for it.  It blew massive chunks.  It may be the worst game I have ever played for the SNES, or for any system for that matter.

841911[/snapback]

Ok, now I HAVE to check it out.

841936[/snapback]

4 characters that suck

+2 basic powers

+1 bad beat em up scene after another

+3 poor cameos

_____

2 words that will send shivers down the spine of anyone who bought this thing at full price: "Avengers.....GO!!!!!".

Only one: OutRun 2019 for the Genesis. It was something of an impulse buy, because I was starved for the original OutRun.

It's been mentioned before, but Sega's home consoles of that era, the Genesis and especially the SMS, just weren't equipped to do justice to their arcade games of that era. The Genesis sometimes did a decent job of faking it, but OutRun 2019 just wasn't OutRun to me. Besides, the game was so easy that I beat it in one day. So, the next day it went back to the store.

I took back Canyon Bomber .. just not any fun for me. The sales lady at Sears lectured me about used goods and whether I would want to buy someone else's return. I just wanted my $20+ back which she did give me. This was in 1979.

Now everything that I have is used! :D

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Captain America and the Avengers.  It looked good on the case and he paid $75 Canadian for it.  It blew massive chunks.  It may be the worst game I have ever played for the SNES, or for any system for that matter.

841911[/snapback]

Ok, now I HAVE to check it out.

841936[/snapback]

4 characters that suck

+2 basic powers

+1 bad beat em up scene after another

+3 poor cameos

_____

2 words that will send shivers down the spine of anyone who bought this thing at full price: "Avengers.....GO!!!!!".

842105[/snapback]

You dare diss Captain America and the Avengers? That game was so chessy it rocked. Even back in the day, people knew that game was chessy.

2600 Pac-Man. The guy who ran the store was none-too-thrilled, but he knew I was going to buy something else with the money, and many more games afterwards.

I took a bunch of other 2600 games back too, but less because I didn't like them than I didn't have enough money to buy everything I wanted. So I'd buy one, check it out, return it for another, check that one out, and so on, until I found the best of the lot and kept it. Toys R Us changed their return policy shortly after that for some reason. :ponder:

Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions on xbox.. as for Atari 2600 games, I sold a few in a family garage sale as I had bought them at other garage sales with my 8 year old paycheck.. aka check the washing machine for quarters and other bits of change and then beg ;) Amazingly, nobody would pay 2 dollars for Mega Force. Smart customers eh?

Before there was anywhere to rent, there was a now dead chain of stores in Canada called Consumer's Distributing. I bought iffy games on purpose for the fuck of it and took them back. Stuff like Air/Sea Battle. I was already buying all my Star Wars toys there, so they didn't care. Just a big store with a warehouse and a small front to fill ot forms for what you wanted. Nice big catalogs. I miss that store :(

As for the SMS, I bought it for Wonder Boy. Did a great job for that. Jeez, I miss Wonder Boy, too :(

It's been mentioned before, but Sega's home consoles of that era, the Genesis and especially the SMS, just weren't equipped to do justice to their arcade games of that era.  The Genesis sometimes did a decent job of faking it, but OutRun 2019 just wasn't OutRun to me.  Besides, the game was so easy that I beat it in one day.  So, the next day it went back to the store.

842114[/snapback]

The Genny wasn't all that bad. It plays Marble Madness pretty true to form.

As for my take backs, I returned 2600 Donkey Kong. I found it at a grocery department store (Smittys) and begged my mom to buy it for me. I didn't even know it was coming out. After about 15 min of playing it , it went back into the box and back to Smitty's the next week.

I also got Pac Man before anyone else I knew. Found it at Sears. I sold it to a teacher for what I paid a few weeks later as he really wanted it, but couldn't find it. I hated it.

I have them both as loose carts in my collection now, both bought for $1 each. They are two of the games I have but don't actually play.

It's been mentioned before, but Sega's home consoles of that era, the Genesis and especially the SMS, just weren't equipped to do justice to their arcade games of that era.  The Genesis sometimes did a decent job of faking it, but OutRun 2019 just wasn't OutRun to me.  Besides, the game was so easy that I beat it in one day.  So, the next day it went back to the store.

The Genny wasn't all that bad. It plays Marble Madness pretty true to form.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that the Genensis and the SMS were not well equipped to handle Sega's arcade games of the day, the ones with all the hardware-scaled psuedo-3D graphics like OutRun and Space Harrier. Nobody expects a console's technology to be up to par with its arcade contemporaries (at least nobody did back then), but I remember thinking Sega should have at least invested some extra time and hardware into making their home systems more capable of something besides a pale shadow of their arcade games. The 32x fit the bill, but by then it was a little too late to impress anyone.

Marble Madness on the Genesis is pretty true to form, but they should have spent some more time on the music and sound effects. Believe it or not, I find the NES version more pleasant to listen to.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Edited by skunkworx

when i had my 2600 back in the day i would have never returned a game either. i don't think i ever had more than 10-15 carts, so if i got a new one i played the crap out of it.

i remember playing firefly quite a bit if that tells you how hard up for games back then, heh heh(the day my dad bought me pitfall II made up for that one tho). i also learned to love et because i actually played my games, even the ones that seemed dull at first.