IGNORED

2600 "Promotional" console...

Scream And Fly

Hi all - I'm new here.

I received a box full of things from my cousin (who is much older than me). In the box was a complete 2600 system in perfect condition. It looks like it was never used, and it includes the controllers and power supply. It's a "Promotional" console, as stamped on the bottom. Made in Sunnyvale, CA.

My question is, is this console rare?

Greg

Edited by Scream And Fly

Hi all - I'm new here.

I received a box full of things from my cousin (who is much older than me).  In the box was a complete 2600 system in perfect condition.  It looks like it was never used, and it includes the controllers and power supply.  It's a "Promotional" console, as stamped on the bottom.  Made in Sunnyvale, CA.

My question is, is this console rare?

Greg

843264[/snapback]

Whoah you can sell that for a bag of money!

Edited by mister_pal

These are more common than one might expect. I can't recall how many times people have emailed us asking about the rarity of these consoles. There are some older threads on AtariAge discussing this, I suggestion looking for the word "promotional" in the 2600 forum--that should pick up quite a few.

I would not be surprised if a boxed promotional console went for $200, but I don't follow the going rates of 2600 consoles on eBay, so no idea what they typically fetch. But like anything on eBay, if you get the right set of bidders and your timing is right, anything can fetch a pretty nice price. :)

..Al

Thanks for the info guys...

The piping on my console is orange, and not yellow like it's supposed to be.  Is that strange?

Greg

843306[/snapback]

I believe all the Promotional consoles have the orange piping. That's one way to quickly discern the difference between the Promotional and normal Atari 2600 units.

..Al

I believe all the Promotional consoles have the orange piping.  That's one way to quickly discern the difference between the Promotional and normal Atari 2600 units.

..Al

843369[/snapback]

I thought it was the other way round? Yellow on promos, orange on the rest? All of my consoles are orange, anyway.

I believe all the Promotional consoles have the orange piping.  That's one way to quickly discern the difference between the Promotional and normal Atari 2600 units.

..Al

843369[/snapback]

I thought it was the other way round? Yellow on promos, orange on the rest? All of my consoles are orange, anyway.

843373[/snapback]

I've got it backwards, I am brain damaged tonight.

..Al