IGNORED

Need help with a atari 2600

finallywed0312

I know you guys will be able to help me with this.

I found in a box my old atari 2600 . The problem is the following. It is dusty. My father in law says i can clean it out with Degenerating alcohol ? ( I have no clue what the hell that is.) I can use a q-tip or cotton swab and rub in on the inside of the games and the system.

I want to do this before i try and sell it on ebay for parts. I REALLY want the system. I mean this was a great find. I completely forgot i had it. I also found my intellavision in just about mint condition right next to the atari. That works great.

How should i clean this thing? Help me please !!!!!!

I know you guys will be able to help me with this.

I found in a box my old atari 2600 .  The problem is the following.  It  is dusty.  My father in law says i can clean it out with Degenerating alcohol ? ( I have no clue what the hell that is.)  I can use a q-tip or cotton swab and rub in on the inside of the games and the system.

I want to do this before i try and sell it on ebay for parts.  I REALLY want the system.  I mean this was a great find.  I completely forgot i had it.  I also found my intellavision in just about mint condition right next to the atari.  That works great. 

How should i clean this thing?  Help me please !!!!!!

845630[/snapback]

I have to ask, but why do you REALLY want the system if you are going to sell it for parts? Maybe you have been spending too much time with some degenerating alcohol ;)

You'll see lots of old threads on this, and one common (and good) response is to take it apart and run the plastic shell through the top rack of the dishwasher.

I have to ask, but why do you REALLY want the system if you are going to sell it for parts?  Maybe you have been spending too much time with some degenerating alcohol ;)

Methinks he means if he cannot get it going he will sell it on ebay for parts, not both...

Use a can of compressed air. We use that at work to clean up dusty PCs.

If you're not getting a picture it might be because you're not hooking up the video correctly. THe cable looks like a standard composite video cable, but it isn't. You'll need something like this to plug it into a modern TV.

Use q-tips and isophrol alcohol. (You can get it at CVS for a buck a bottle, last I checked.)

Or you could always oepn up the system and wash the top half of the case with cool water and dish soap. Is it the Sunnyvale heavy sixer or the later ones? As long as there's no sticky label on the bottom, you can wash it in the sink.