IGNORED

Heavy Sixer?

Luigi301

How do I tell if my Tele-Games is a Heavy Sixer or a converted CX2600? According to the hardware page, it came in both.

847380[/snapback]

If the plastic moulding along the sides is around 1/4 inch, it's probably a heavy. if it's really narrow, like a little more than 1/16th an inch, it's not.

Mine is a whopping 1/4". Are Heavy Sixer Tele-Games units particularly rare? I got mine for free.

847477[/snapback]

Not especially -- they're rarer than regular models, certainly, but I see more Sears models pop up than Atari models. Moreover the Sears models are far less desirable; I've variously picked up four or five of them, all under $20. On the other hand I haven't been able to score a real Atari heavy sixer for a decent price; they always get a good few bucks.

Mine is a whopping 1/4". Are Heavy Sixer Tele-Games units particularly rare? I got mine for free.

847477[/snapback]

They're first-year models just like the Atari ones, so much rarer than the post first-year models. But Sears was the biggest 2600 retailer at that time and they only sold their own brands, so I would bet there are more Sears heavy sixers in existence than there are Atari heavy sixers. Also, most people seem to just want that Atari name a bit more than the Sears name (especially beginning collectors), so they probably get a bit of a premium because of that.

That said, I have seen Sears heavy sixers fetch close to $100, depending on the package (on Ebay, of course). I have also seen Atari heavy sixers go for $20-$30. (And yes, I know how to tell the difference - I have one myself.) So it really does depend on condition, accessories included, box or no box, etc.

Generally though, I think Atari models are probably worth around 20-30% more, all else being equal.