IGNORED

PAL Swordquest: Earthworld question?

Tanukitsune

I recently got the cart off Ebay and soon found out that the clues of the NTSC version don't work, so I had to find a PAL walkthrough, but...

How on Earth was I supposed to know where everyhting goes in the PAL version if there are no clues or comic book to help? Trail an error?

And when does it really end? There are only 11 clues and I already have the sword, does this mean it's over or what? :?

How on Earth was I supposed to know where everyhting goes in the PAL version if there are no clues or comic book to help? Trail an error?

:D :D :D

Yep, it's trial and error, even WITH the books. The game is a hackneyed attempt at an adventure game. There is NO logic, rhyme, or reason to why where or how anything is placed. It's not really much of a game, to be honest.

And when does it really end? There are only 11 clues and I already have the sword, does this mean it's over or what?

If you get all 11 clues, you get the 'legendary' warrior's sword, and another view of the title screen. Then you get to run around forever doing nothing :ponder:

If you want a decent swordquest game, try and get Waterworld. That one is much better, and provides visual clues, and is therefore solveable without cheating and luck. It's still average, though...

The PAL version was the contest version. Without the special clue sheet they gave out at the contest it is impossible. What was Atari thinking dumping this on our poor PAL friends?

Yep, it's trial and error, even WITH the books. The game is a hackneyed attempt at an adventure game. There is NO logic, rhyme, or reason to why where or how anything is placed. It's not really much of a game, to be honest.

Well that's not entirely true, there is *Some* logic to it (at least in Earthworld). Here's a quote from my website:

The comic book was supposed to supply hints on what items needed to be put into the various rooms. For instance if one of the twins used a sword against Taurus the bull, that would indicate that the sword was one of the items that went into Taurus's room. If the player successfully put all the proper items in a room a numeric clue would appear. These clues would look like 16-4 or 27-2, and meant that the secret word was hidden on page 16 panel 4 or page 27 panel 2. The words were hidden somewhere in the picture, but could be found after a few minutes of searching. To keep people from just randomly searching the comic book for all the hidden words, Atari planted false words throughout the comic. These hidden words were not part of the final solution, although some clues pointed to them. The reader had to figure out which words were true and which were false. Each comic book had an introductory poem, which gave the key to the clues in a concealed way. It was up to the reader had to figure out what the secret to the poem was.

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/e.../earthworld.htm

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/f...d/fireworld.htm

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/w.../waterworld.htm

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/a...ld/airworld.htm

Tempest

Well that's not entirely true, there is *Some* logic to it (at least in Earthworld). Here's a quote from my website:

In theory, yes. In practice, not so much. I actually plugged in all the clues one afternoon and 'beat' the thing. Most of the item combinations had very little to due with the comic (which I own), that I could tell. I like waterworld much better, since it prompts you with visual associations with other items. It makes it more of a logic puzzle than a guessing game.