IGNORED

Please identify this 2600 Pac-Man game for me

chad5200

I was browsing through my 2600 roms when I came across one named "unnamed.bin". I fired it up only to find an excellent version of Pac-Man. Also, when you hit Reset it toggles between Pac-Man and Pac-Man Plus! The game play is fast and very smooth and the ghost have very little flicker. Also, the maze is very true to the original Pac-Man.

I've seen hacks to make Pac-Man better, but this one is the best I think.

Who created this excellent version of Pac-Man/Pac-Man Plus for the 2600? Does anyone have any more info on this?

I have attached a screenshot.

post-25-1115493464_thumb.jpg

Wow! Absolutely brilliant! The last page of that thread has (I assume) the latest version of the game. It's even better than the one I came across!

Imagine if that was the version of Pac-Man that had been released by Atari back in 1981?

Faithful mazes and sound effects! Intermissions! Fast game play!

The unnamed version came from here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49501&hl= ;)

I found that I couldn't get everything that I wanted in the game with only 4k...so during the course of that thread, I experimented with bankswitching. And that led to the creation of 2600 Hanglyman:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49899&hl=

In a short time, I trimmed out enough of the redundant/duplicate routines to pack all 3 mazes into the game...which became the current version (the thread previously mentioned). The final version is last in the thread @post 333, and corrects all of the problems that exist in the earlier versions (like the phantom dots, monsters moving through walls, screen jitters, etc...which still exist in your unnamed.bin)...and has also been added to the hack database after a full year of Stan pestering me with "Is it done yet?" :lol: j/k

http://www.atariage.com/hack_page.html?Sys...twareHackID=294

This game is everything the 2600 Pac-Man should have been, and much more. Multiple mazes, great graphics, and the best game-play, period.

I have only one problem with it, ADDICTION!  :D

Thanks.

851807[/snapback]

My main problem is that it's still not good enough ;) When going through the code, it became obvious to me that it could be better if I really had some idea of what it's doing in a LOT of places. A better port is just around the corner if somebody has the talent and will to do one from scratch. To them I say...don't ever give up on it just because of this hack. :!: