IGNORED

Something strange in Yars' Revenge

shank

I was playing Yars' Revenge, you know when you hit that diamond shaped thing and you get that explosion of colored pixel? Well, when it did that, the whole colored explosion froze up and there was a black Yar like it was a ghost or something inside it on the left side. Was it supposed to do that? Or was it a glitch?

Quick sell it on ebay.

Just state in the auction description that it is....HAUNTED

That'll be good for about $200.00 :cool:

Not sure exactly what you are describing.

Did the game lock up?

Sounds like something screwed up if that is the case.

I was playing Yars' Revenge, you know when you hit that diamond shaped thing and you get that explosion of colored pixel? Well, when it did that, the whole colored explosion froze up and there was a black Yar like it was a ghost or something inside it on the left side. Was it supposed to do that? Or was it a glitch?

853191[/snapback]

The game is not supposed to lock up during the explosion sequence, no.

It is normal to see the black Yar (the instruction manual calls it the "Ghost of Yars") during the explosion (technically it's just the player graphic with a different color; I assume changing the color takes less code than redefining or blanking the graphic). There is also an Easter Egg that can be tripped over during the explosion sequence; when that happens the game will freeze, but not until the explosion sequence finishes.

A hardware glitch of some kind, perhaps in the cartridge, or the console, or in the contacts between, is the only cause I can think of that would make the game freeze on the explosion screen.

Well, i did some research on Google, and i found out that it's an easter egg that when the explosion happens, it freezes for a few seconds and into the pixel explosion your supposed to see the programmrs initials in it. I guess that i put the Yar in the right place at the right time for this to happen. The game plays fine. But i can't seem do it again.

I remember that it has something to do with being on the black line that appears when you destroy the Quotile, but I can't recall exactly how to do it. I remember how annoying it was for the game to stop abruptly after getting a very high score, in my younger years... :roll:

This page will show you the "ghost of Yars"...and how the egg is triggered. The solution to not having the game freeze? Don't do what it says. Keep off the area where the line appears, and try not to be in the lower 3rd of the screen. The explosion takes a couple moments, so you have an opportunity to get off there.

http://www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/26yarsrevenge.htm

Yeah, Easter Eggs! Well, I wish I was a better gamer...maybe someday (30 years later after owning an Atari 2600 back in the day..lol) I might hit an "easter egg". Let's hope, eh? I mean, I only have about 40 years of gaming left! :roll:

Steve

Yeah, Easter Eggs! Well, I wish I was a better gamer...maybe someday (30 years later after owning an Atari 2600 back in the day..lol) I might hit an "easter egg". Let's hope, eh? I mean, I only have about 40 years of gaming left!  :roll:

Steve

854510[/snapback]

The Yars' Revenge Easter Egg is very easy to hit, to the point where you have to make an effort not to hit it. Like Lord Helmet, I've had many good games ruined by tripping over this little feature.