IGNORED

PCAE Slowdown

StanJr

I've been using the PCAE alot (the colors are more accurate than Stella and it lets me play Pitfall II). But after I play 3 or 4 different games, the PCAE starts to drag. It takes double or even triple the time to start the emulation and come back to the menu after stopping the emulation. Am I not clearing something out, or is this lag normal?

Side note: If I close PCAE and then open it again, the problem is gone?

A little on the slow side, Stan

This MAY sound irellevant, but how much RAM do you have? The problem could be due to not having enough, or your computer might not be clearing it out properlly after each run.. if that is the case i recomend a program called RAMpage

It runs in your system tray and moniters how much RAM you have( i assume you use windows) and frees memory as needed, you can set it to refresh your RAM if say it drops below 20 megs (thats the setting I use) Or you can double click on it to free memory on demand..

If this dosent help, try rebooting before you run PCAE, to free GDI and system resources, kind of "flushing out" of your ssystem

[ 10-13-2001: Message edited by: liquid_sky ]

You might want to consider using Z26 instead of PCAE. It too plays Pitfall II. I tend to use StellaX since I like the Windows system more but Z26 is easy enough to figure out since it presents you with a listing of ROMS in the directory and then you use the cursor control keys to select a ROM and the enter key to start. Press ESC to end a game and go back to that menu to select another ROM.

You can get Z26 from the following page:

http://www.whimsey.com/z26/z26.html

Try it. I don't think I have experienced any problems like you have mentioned.

Stan,

I noticed a post regarding Atari emulation and you mention that Windows millenium has no real dos support. Can you press and hold the function key F8 as your machine boots up and get ME to give you the option of going to a command line prompt? If so, there is your real DOS mode right there.

I don't have Windows Millenium (Nor will I ever get it either). I have Windows 98 second edition and that is good enough. Please let me know as I am curious to see if it is still possible to get to the DOS prompt via this manner as your machine boots up.

Thanks.

AtariDude. Its true, ME has NO true DOS, it has a DOS emu program only. I don't think the F8 thing will work, but I will give it a try to see.

liquid_sky: I doubt RAM is the problem, I think you are more right when you suggest that its not being cleared properly. I'll give that program you linked me to a try. That will probably solve the problem.

Thanks everybody!

Are you using PCAE or PCAEWin? I've worked quite a bit with John on tracking down and elimiating the bugs in PCAE/Win, and so far, up to version 2.5, I've managed to track down quite a few for him. I have to admit to not having experienced any slowdown in the emulator on loading successive ROMs. (And believe me I've loaded hundreds in succession to create screenshots and edit properties to add the proper info in the INI)

What are your system specs? (CPU, OS, amount and type of RAM, chipset, video card and sound card, DirectX version, etc.) And does it happen consistently?