IGNORED

Somebody have Koalapad.atr?

I don't have or know where to get a koalapad.atr, but I do know that the best standard (no software graphics techniques, but uses 128 colors with DLI's and 4-5 graphic modes) graphics program, Rambrandt, is compatible with the Koalapad among other I/O devices. Below is a zip file of the .atr's of the main program, utilites and documentation. Enjoy! There were many other graphical oriented programs made to be koalapad compatible, and the original software that came with the Koalapad was just the standard microillustrator progam on cartridge that was made to work with the Koala pad. Hacked versions of Microillustrator can be found on most Atari software (.atr) sites. Though the software is quite inferior to Rambrandt anyway. Rambrandt supports microillustrator file types.

Rambrandt_.ZIP

Edited by Gunstar

Red Rat's Technicolor Dream theoretically offers twice the palette (256 cols) with no line restriction, but at a lower resolution.

I think it uses display lists to alternate between Mode 9 and 11, and combines brightnesses and hues that way. Either way, it is capable of remarkable graphics.

Red Rat's Technicolor Dream theoretically offers twice the palette (256 cols) with no line restriction, but at a lower resolution.

I think it uses display lists to alternate between Mode 9 and 11, and combines brightnesses and hues that way. Either way, it is capable of remarkable graphics.

867353[/snapback]

yes, I've use it before, but IIRC it only allows the use of a joystick, no Koala or atari touchtablets, or mice for that matter. Better 256 color paitn programs have come along as well, but Rambrant still remains the best IMHO becuase of the TONS of features and additional utilities and modelers in it's library, plus, it allows your choice of 4 different graphic modes, and the use of DLI's in all of them. If you have a newer Atari, your pallete is extended to 256 colors. if you use the graphic 9 or 11 modes with the 80x192 resoution, you get 9 or 16 *base* colors and still have the use of DLI's for 9-16 colors per scan line from a palletee of 256, so it's possible to use 256 colors, though it's not anywhere on the screen like Technicolor Dream. Technicolor Drea's downfall is that it uses alternating lines of color and brightness, so some colors, like yellow, alway look brown since the chroma&lumina are on seperate lines, though with a program like APACVIEW interlaced picture displayer, you can load up your Technicolor dream pictures into an interlaced mode which doubles the resolution, and with some flickering, produces much sharper images with better chroma&lumina output. but there are literally dozens and dozens of graphic art programs which use hardware and software graphic modes with 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 4096 colors on screen in low and high (160x192) resolutions from pallettes up to 32000 colors like Escalpaint. I was just pointing him to one that's a defacto standard on the Atari's and is 100% compatible with koala&microillustrator pictures.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have a commodore koala pad, is it compatible?

890822[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure it is; it's just a Koalapad, not a "commodore" koalapad, the software that originally came with it is the only thing that makes it unique, I'm pretty sure, since most controller for the Atari and Commodore are interchangable, I'm almost positive your Koalpad is the same as those "made" for the Atari, both use 9-pin plugs, and I'm sure they are wired the same way too. Just use any compatible Atari software with it (like Rambrandt) and I'm sure it will work fine. The fact is, I suspect that even an Atari touch tablet would work on the Commodore too, with compatible touch-tablet software made for the Commodore. Though I'm not positive, this is just a well-educated guess.