IGNORED

Anyone played Commando for xe?

elviticus

Can anyone give me any info. on Commando for the xegs? Mainly, I want to know if it's a good version and if any keyboard input is required. I have the "brain" of my XEGS hooked up to the TV, but don't have room for the keyboard - so I want to make sure I can play with just the joystick. Anybody have this?

Can anyone give me any info. on Commando for the xegs?  Mainly, I want to know if it's a good version and if any keyboard input is required.  I have the "brain" of my XEGS hooked up to the TV, but don't have room for the keyboard - so I want to make sure I can play with just the joystick.    Anybody have this?

869171[/snapback]

Commando XEGS is an excellent port of the arcade game and similar in quality to the 7800 version. AFAIK, Commando does not require the keyboard to work properly. A very few cart games ("Rampage") require the keyboard accessory to work although they do not use the keyboard for input. Nir Dary once provided the explanation for this, and it still should be present in one of the older "Rampage"/XEGS threads. :)

Commando for the XE is an excellent port!  Shame it never got released.

Oh, didn't it? :D

Good job I found this site then, and played it for myself - it's great!

http://people.freenet.de/mrbacardi/Atari-proto.html

You may need the latest Atari800Win for this.

Download the file then just drag and drop it into the Atari800Win window, and it will work.

Edited by Foebane

Commando for the XE is an excellent port!  Shame it never got released:

http://www.atariprotos.com/8bit/software/c...do/commando.htm

Tempest

869246[/snapback]

I assume you mean it's a shame it never got released "back in the day" as it has been released in the last year and can be obtained on cartridge.

http://www.sunmark.com

Why buy it when you can try it for free from Mr Bacardi's site? Or is that illegal?  :roll:

869393[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that if it's not on cartridge, you have to load the entire game into memory from the .atr, which takes far more memory than any stock Atari has, including the 130XE. So it's only useful for people with upgrades of I believe, 256+.

Why buy it when you can try it for free from Mr Bacardi's site? Or is that illegal?  :roll:

869393[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that if it's not on cartridge, you have to load the entire game into memory from the .atr, which takes far more memory than any stock Atari has, including the 130XE. So it's only useful for people with upgrades of I believe, 256+.

869622[/snapback]

Commando hasn't been "cracked" like other 128k cartridges. The download from Mr. Bacardi's site is the cartridge image, so only playable in emulation.

Commando hasn't been "cracked" like other 128k cartridges.  The download from Mr. Bacardi's site is the cartridge image, so only playable in emulation.

871051[/snapback]

Unless, of course, you buy the game that was released commercially.

I agree with Matt and David, Commando is an awesome XE game -- far better than I was expecting actually. I do prefer the 7800 versions slightly as the one-button control scheme in the XE is awkward and the colours and sound aren't quite as polished. But Sculptured Software did an ass-kicking job on both the XE and 7800 versions ... and I always wished Atari invested that much in other games for those systems.

BTW I see Star Trux on that page, has anyone been able to figure that one out? It still confuses me...

Having Commando on cart is much nicer than having to play it on an emulator or load an image. I guess you could just download the rom, but sometimes it's just easier to have a repro of it handy. Same reason people still buy 2600 reproductions when they could just as easily download the rom. It's also nice to support the people who work hard to bring us these lost gems.

Tempest

• 8 years later...