IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 21: Thunderground

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

Tunnel your way upwards. Closer and closer to the enemy targets, vicious Vector nuclear bases which you must destroy at all costs. Suddenly, atomic cannon fire obscures the blackness. Dreaded "Core Ranger Tanks" have discovered your presence. But there's no turning back, because this week's game is Thunderground!

Game Information

• Game Name: Thunderground
  • Released By: Sega, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: Not Applicable
  • Right Difficulty: Not Applicable
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: Scooterb23

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, June 14th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be matbutscher! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. goldfuji.gif1,000,000 (the 5th ghost) [+11]
    goldfuji.gif1,000,000 (xeex) [+11]
    goldfuji.gif1,000,000 (vdub_bobby) [+11]
    goldfuji.gif1,000,000 (SpiceWare) [+11]
    goldfuji.gif1,000,000 (khryssun) [+11]
  2. silverfuji.gif946,384 (Osbo) [+10]
  3. bronzefuji.gif824,530 (StanJr) [+9]
  4. 375,330 (Omegamatrix) [+8]
  5. 138,210 (Malc74) [+7]
  6. 128,730 (panda_racer) [+6]
  7. 113,990 (cyberneticimplant) [+5]
  8. 107,920 (gospeedde) [+4]
  9. 107,080 (video game addict) [+3]
  10. 102,940 (keilbaca) [+2]
  11. 75,640 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  12. 51,000 (Cybergoth) [+1]
  13. 50,330 (Goochman) [+1]
  14. 50,060 (scogey) [+1]

Best Tips

• ribbon.gifthe 5th ghost [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Secret Challenge! - Everyone who's score ends in a 5 (not counting zero's) will receive an additional [1] point.
    • No one!

Current Standings

1. StanJr [175]
  2. keilbaca [173]
  3. the 5th ghost [121]
  4. Osbo [88]
  5. sku_u [71]
  6. Malc74 [66]
  7. SpiceWare [64]
  8. Fellow Atari Man [52]
  9. vdub_bobby [51]
  10. KaeruYojimbo [47]
  11. video game addict [42]
  12. Christophero Sly [41]
  13. gospeedde [41]
  14. LarcenTyler [40]
  15. Numan [39]
  16. Mad Scientist [38]
  17. Robert M [33]
  18. Keir [32]
  19. Lord Thag [30]
  20. racer raul [29]
  21. Blackjack [28]
  22. Cybergoth [28]
  23. chrisbid [28]
  24. Goochman [27]
  25. Philflound [27]
  26. pitfallaimee [24]
  27. Dones [24]
  28. Lord Helmet [21]
  29. khryssun [20]
  30. Dan Iacovelli [20]
  31. mikeftrevino [18]
  • chubsta [17]
  • yuppicide [15]
  • candiru [14]
  • panda_racer [13]
  • cvga [13]
  • davepesc [12]
  • scogey [11]
  • cyberneticimplant [9]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [9]
  • adams_ale [6]
  • Luigi301 [5]
  • Gamemaster_ca_2003 [5]
  • xeex [4]
  • Bubbledragon [4]
  • BydoEmpire [3]
  • kemsted [3]
  • Stingray [3]
  • 128bytes [2]
  • Voch [2]
  • bjk7382 [2]
  • iguana [2]
  • Damon Plus [2]
  • Kepone [2]
  • neotokeo2001 [1]
  • Chris++ [1]
  • bmlbytes [1]
  • awsomo3000 [1]
  • madbutscher [1]
  • Scooterb23 [1]
  • internetotaku [1]
  • Gateway [1]

Member List

madbutscher, the 5th ghost, khryssun, Malc74, chubsta, Keir, Philflound, candiru, kemsted, keilbaca, Cybergoth, sku_u, Chris++, cvga, LarcenTyler, 128bytes, Goochman, mikeftrevino, StanJr, Osbo, Numan, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch, Stingray, scogey, Bubbledragon, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, SpiceWare, Robert M, Lord Helmet, Lord Thag, MaWhen you shoot a tank, it still remains onscreen for a few moments, meaning that you can use it as a shield against shots from the other tank.d Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix

Scoring Points in Thunderground

• Coming Soon!

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, luckily for you, AtariAge has a typed copy of it online for your reading pleasure.

What's that? You're too lazy to click that link? Well, luckily for you, I copied the tips it has right here:

• Don't destroy enemy tanks unnecessarily.  There may be far better ways to score points.

• Watch enemy tank movement carefully.  Strategic placement of your core capsule can lead them away from the bases.  It can also cause enemy blue tanks to strip away sections of the force field lying in front of the bases.

• Don't risk yourself in search of enemy supplies in early rounds.  It is much more important to stay alive in order to score bonus points for the destruction of bases in higher rounds.

Tip:

It seems that in the later stages, you want the blue tank to remove the top row for you to expose the reactors. Once that top row is gone, its easy to pick off the reactors and dodge the tanks. I think you need to let the left tank make its way to ther right side, then it moves up and heads back to the left, clearing the way.

Tip 2:

It seems that when the enemy tank is at the top heading left to right, its shot will be lower, making it safe to stay at the very top to clear out the forcefield. On the other hand, when the enemy tank is moving right to left, it shoots higher, so the top is not safe. And of course, don't ram into the enemy tanks.

In the later stages, you cannot touch the enemy tank after you destroy it. You will die.

I wanted to see what happened when you reach the 100th board. Nothing. The board counter resets to 00 after the 99th board. By the time I reached 100 boards, the score was over 2.5 million :cool:

During the later stages, you want to avoid shooting the tanks. Instead, lure them to the bottom of the screen, to give yourself time to clear out the shield at the top and quickly blast away the reactors.

tips: lure the tanks to the bottom of the screen. Don't leave the screen without the token. try to get the blue tank to clear the top part of the screen and then shoot the reactors from the bottom of the screen.
When you shoot a tank, it still remains onscreen for a few moments, meaning that you can use it as a shield against shots from the other tank.
My advice is to dig straight tunnels from the top to the bottom. Let the white tanks follow you down (the blue ones will, anyway), then scoot up to the top and start blasting away. You always move faster than the enemy, even at the higher levels. So, the farther they have to travel, the more time you have to do some damage.

Good luck everyone!

--Ze_ro

Can I play a German version of this, called "Phantompanzer II"?

As long as it scores the same, then it's okay with me. This game has a very strange scoring progression that doesn't really make a lot of sense to me (check the manual to see what I mean).

--Zero

Bizarre game, first time playing it too.

Tip:

It seems that in the later stages, you want the blue tank to remove the top row for you to expose the reactors. Once that top row is gone, its easy to pick off the reactors and dodge the tanks. I think you need to let the left tank make its way to ther right side, then it moves up and heads back to the left, clearing the way.

Tip 2:

It seems that when the enemy tank is at the top heading left to right, its shot will be lower, making it safe to stay at the very top to clear out the forcefield. On the other hand, when the enemy tank is moving right to left, it shoots higher, so the top is not safe. And of course, don't ram into the enemy tanks.

Edited by the 5th ghost

First try.

tips: lure the tanks to the bottom of the screen. Don't leave the screen without the token. try to get the blue tank to clear the top part of the screen and then shoot the reactors from the bottom of the screen.

post-219-1118167678_thumb.jpg

Hi there!

Can I play a German version of this, called "Phantompanzer II"?

As long as it scores the same, then it's okay with me. This game has a very strange scoring progression that doesn't really make a lot of sense to me (check the manual to see what I mean).

--Zero

869849[/snapback]

Ok, I decided to go with emulation this time just to avoid any confusion.

First game: 51.000

Greetings,

Manuel

th.gif