IGNORED

Can anyone help me on Journey To the Planets?

Ross PK

Okay, I'm ripping a WAV file now.

The problem is when I tested it at first to see how the recording was, the sound was really quiet when I played it back, and it's not because of the volume of the output on my cassette player. So I don't know if that's a bad thing or not.

Okay, I'm ripping a WAV file now.

The problem is when I tested it at first to see how the recording was, the sound was really quiet when I played it back, and it's not because of the volume of the output on my cassette player. So I don't know if that's a bad thing or not.

994587[/snapback]

It's not necessarily a problem. Even if the audio is quiet, wav2cas can often make a successful conversion. If there are dropouts or distortion, that's more difficult. Sometimes, software is recorded once on each side of the cassette, and trying the other side sometimes works when the first side fails.

In difficult cases, some audio processing can be required too.

I'm uploading it onto rapidshare, but it's going to take about 40 minutes.

Which has made me look at the file and it's 78, 241KB. :?  Is that normal for a 7 minute WAV file?

994615[/snapback]

.wav files are very large. For sending on the net, mp3 is usually better because it's about 10% of the size.

Have you tried the wav2cas utility? Typical .cas files are only 16K-64K. Also, remember that the .wav file only needs to be 44.1 kHz, 8-bit, mono.

Lol, okay I'll make an mp3.

Cool :)

I tried the wav2cas utility, I typed in the name of the wav file on the screen but it wouldn't work.

As long as the .wav file is in the correct format (44.1 kHz, 8-bit, mono) and in the same directory as the wav2cas.exe file, it should work if the audio file is OK.

So how come people are interested in the cassette version being converted, is it somehow different from the disk version?

Maybe not but we feel it's essential to archive original software before it's too late. Thanks for your help and please let us know if you have other rare titles :)

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

We generally don't know whether the cassette versions are different until we actually get our hands on them. As Frog says, we're trying to preserve the software in it's original format wherever possible, and where a title was released on more than one medium, we'd like to preserve them all, if we can.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread. This game has always confounded me, and the walkthroughs will help me out a lot! There was one planet that I couldn't get past because I couldn't figure out the puzzle. Now that i've read all the info in this thread, I think I can finally finish this game that i've been wanting to get through for 17 years!

I've had a look at my audio properties and turned the volume up (I never knew about this before), it's now recording it louder but it's still sorta quiet and the sound quality is still pretty bad.

I don't know why because my PC is brand new and cost me £300. My old crappy one recorded stuff perfectly.

If you want me to send a louder copy just let me know, I'm recording it right now.

I've had a look at my audio properties and turned the volume up (I never knew about this before), it's now recording it louder but it's still sorta quiet and the sound quality is still pretty bad.

I don't know why because my PC is brand new and cost me £300. My old crappy one recorded stuff perfectly.

If you want me to send a louder copy just let me know, I'm recording it right now.

995161[/snapback]

That would be great.

It sounds as though the data is salvageable, but the quietness of the recording is making things tricky.