IGNORED

Copying (rescueing) disks with read errors?

schoschie

I've got a whole bunch of disks that I'd like to backup to the PC via an SIO2PC interface. I've been able to backup most disks perfectly, but some have defective sectors, causing my sector copier to abort the copy. I would really like to save these disks for later, as they contain stuff that I made myself (BASIC programs, pictures, fonts, ...) and there is no other way to rescue this data.

I've been using the US Sector Copier II by E. Reuss (1985) which works fine but aborts the copy as soon as there is a read error. Do you know a copy/backup program that will continue copying past a defective sector, or do you have any other ideas how I could still save these disks?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Ah... thanks! I'll go right ahead and try!

882192[/snapback]

Even better is if you have an a8 disc drive that has either a happy or lazer/hyperdrive upgrade or the european version the speedy 1050/super speedy 1050 u/g and happy/lazer copy software, which can copy over error'd sectors, i seem to remember hearing that the SA/SA2 (both 810/1050 versions) had as part of the copy software the ability to repair error'd sectors (so long as these sector's are genuine error'd sectors and not some fancy software protection, otherwise you'll knock out the protection and you won't be able to load/use the disc

I can't remember if happy/lazer had this ability

Once you have copied the disc over, then using this ape stuff then try and convert the disc over to ATR/Xfd

I have seen the happy and SA/SA2 copy software as an ATR however I don't think the software will recognise the siopc cable or the 1050

Additionally the only emulator that i've seen that emulates a happy 1050/810 is Atari++, and also atari++ has the ability to communicate with the sio to pc cable as long as you've got an atari sio device at the 'atari' end (as in, not the PC)

Carmel, thanks for the idea, but all I have is a normal 1050 drive with no extras. I have another 1050 with 1050 Turbo module, but it died before I could complete my mission :(

I'm going to sell my Atari stuff, which is why I want to save the data on my disks so I can use them in an emulator... so I guess doing fancy hardware modifications isn't really worthwhile anymore :/

Thanks and greetings to all you Atari 8 bit users out there from Germany :cool:

Carmel, thanks for the idea, but all I have is a normal 1050 drive with no extras. I have another 1050 with 1050 Turbo module, but it died before I could complete my mission :(

I'm going to sell my Atari stuff, which is why I want to save the data on my disks so I can use them in an emulator... so I guess doing fancy hardware modifications isn't really worthwhile anymore :/

Thanks and greetings to all you Atari 8 bit users out there from Germany :cool:

882206[/snapback]

Ouch!... Sorry, when you say the turbo 1050 died, was that the upgrade only, or the whole drive, if it was the whole drive, you still might be able to rescue the upgrade and stick it in your normal 1050 temporarily untill you complete all your copying... but i don't know, i'm not some electronics repair freak like several on this forum

882192[/snapback]

Even better is if you have an a8 disc drive that has either a happy or lazer/hyperdrive upgrade or the european version the speedy 1050/super speedy 1050 u/g and happy/lazer copy software, which can copy over error'd sectors, i seem to remember hearing that the SA/SA2 (both 810/1050 versions) had as part of the copy software the ability to repair error'd sectors (so long as these sector's are genuine error'd sectors and not some fancy software protection, otherwise you'll knock out the protection and you won't be able to load/use the disc

Once you have copied the disc over, then using this ape stuff then try and convert the disc over to ATR/Xfd

I have seen the happy and SA/SA2 copy software as an ATR however I don't think the software will recognise the siopc cable or the 1050

Additionally the only emulator that i've seen that emulates a happy 1050/810 is Atari++, and also atari++ has the ability to communicate with the sio to pc cable as long as you've got an atari sio device at the 'atari' end (as in, not the PC)

882198[/snapback]

"I have seen the happy and SA/SA2 copy software as an ATR however I don't think the software will recognise the siopc cable or the 1050"

Have you actually tried this? Since the SIO2PC connects/uses the SIO line, and IIRC, A.P.E can/does emulate the Warp+ OS 3X SIO speed, which is compatible with most, if not all of the "ultra speed" Dos's&upgrades I think. I know for sure it is with Spartados and the U.S. Doubler ultra speed drives as I have one of these.

But even if it's not, as you say, another option is the 32-in-1 Warp+ OS which includes the speedyDOS and most/all other OS's, so I think (I'm just learning about this myself) that in conjunction with SIO2PC and A.P.E, maybe the SA/SA2 software could be used. Or is this SA/SA2 .atr images you are refering to possibly the same thing that I see in the screen-shot of 32-in-1 OS;the software on cartridge? Obviously this isn't an instant or free solution to this possible probblem, even if SchoSchie Has anything to do with SIO2PC/APE/WARP+, etc.

But it at least might be worthwhile to look into the latest version of A.P.E for Windows v2.3.2 which may be compatible with some of these drive/format upgrades that previous versions weren't compatible with...

Edited by Gunstar

882192[/snapback]

'Gunstar', what i meant was, using the ATR images of SA/SA2 or happy/lazer copy s/w thru am emulator like atari800win or atari++, I dont think it will work win atari800win... it might work with atari++, but there again i don't know as both of my 1050's are dead and i don't have an siopc or ape/prosys cable/adapter..l so i can't say if it will work (this is purely guesswork)

882198[/snapback]

"I have seen the happy and SA/SA2 copy software as an ATR however I don't think the software will recognise the siopc cable or the 1050"

Have you actually tried this? Since the SIO2PC connects/uses the SIO line, and IIRC, A.P.E can/does emulate the Warp+ OS 3X SIO speed, which is compatible with most, if not all of the "ultra speed" Dos's&upgrades I think. I know for sure it is with Spartados and the U.S. Doubler ultra speed drives as I have one of these.

But even if it's not, as you say, another option is the 32-in-1 Warp+ OS which includes the speedyDOS and most/all other OS's, so I think (I'm just learning about this myself) that in conjunction with SIO2PC and A.P.E, maybe the SA/SA2 software could be used. Or is this SA/SA2 .atr images you are refering to possibly the same thing that I see in the screen-shot of 32-in-1 OS;the software on cartridge? Obviously this isn't an instant or free solution to this possible probblem, even if SchoSchie Has anything to do with SIO2PC/APE/WARP+, etc.

But it at least might be worthwhile to look into the latest version of A.P.E for Windows v2.3.2 which may be compatible with some of these drive/format upgrades that previous versions weren't compatible with...

882230[/snapback]

882192[/snapback]

882198[/snapback]

882230[/snapback]

'Gunstar', what i meant was, using the ATR images of SA/SA2 or happy/lazer copy s/w thru am emulator like atari800win or atari++, I dont think it will work win atari800win... it might work with atari++, but there again i don't know as both of my 1050's are dead and i don't have an siopc or ape/prosys cable/adapter..l so i can't say if it will work (this is purely guesswork)

(...) I have another 1050 with 1050 Turbo module, but it died before I could complete my mission :(

882206[/snapback]

(...) when you say the turbo 1050 died, was that the upgrade only, or the whole drive, if it was the whole drive, you still might be able to rescue the upgrade and stick it in your normal 1050 temporarily untill you complete all your copying... but i don't know, i'm not some electronics repair freak like several on this forum

882220[/snapback]

Me neither :) No, the 1050 Turbo upgrade apparently is fine and the drive hasn't died completely either ... it starts up fine, the 1050 Turbo software loads as usual, but the drive doesn't read or write data from disks anymore. I'm not sure what happened. It had been working like a charm for days and then all of a sudden I got nothing but BOOT ERRORs with any disk I tried. I did open up the unit and try to see if it was some mechanical problem that I could fix; I also carefully cleaned the read/write head, but to no avail.

I think it would be much easier to try to fix the drive because I doubt it's a complicated problem (albeit none that I could solve); moving the 1050 Turbo module to another drive isn't trivial... I remember my dad installed the upgrade for me (sometime in 1987/88) because he's experienced with electronics hardware, and he was busy for about a day...

Edited by schoschie

(...)

(...)

(...)

882198[/snapback]

(...)

(...)

882230[/snapback]

882236[/snapback]

Thanks again, you two; if I get your point correctly, you're suggesting to make a copy using one of these upgrades and then use the emulator to read the special disk format that they create.

But, like I said, I don't have any of these upgrades and I think I'd be going over the top if I went ahead and got one of them for the sole purpose of copying a couple of disks... well... if all else fails, I might reconsider :)

BTW, the emulator I'm using is Atari800MacX which I think has the same codebase as atari800win; or rather, it's the Mac OS X port of that same basic emulator code. There is currently no other, good Atari 8-bit emulator for the OS X platform that I know of.

(...)

(...)

(...)

882198[/snapback]

(...)

(...)

882230[/snapback]

882236[/snapback]

Thanks again, you two; if I get your point correctly, you're suggesting to make a copy using one of these upgrades and then use the emulator to read the special disk format that they create.

But, like I said, I don't have any of these upgrades and I think I'd be going over the top if I went ahead and got one of them for the sole purpose of copying a couple of disks... well... if all else fails, I might reconsider :)

BTW, the emulator I'm using is Atari800MacX which I think has the same codebase as atari800win; or rather, it's the Mac OS X port of that same basic emulator code. There is currently no other, good Atari 8-bit emulator for the OS X platform that I know of.

882260[/snapback]

'schoschie', have to tried to swap over the disk mechs i.e taking out the disk mech from your good 1050 (remembering which way the connectors go from the 1050 mech to the 1050 board) take out the disk mech from the dodgy 1050 (remembering which way the connectors go from the 1050 mech to the 1050 board), and place the disk mech from the good 1050 into the dodgy 1050 (remembering which way the connectors go from the 1050 mech to the 1050 board) and reconnecting the disk mech to the board, make sure that first the upgrade is security fastened to the socket on the motherboard and then making sure the disk mech is securely or properly seated on top of the pcb and but the top of the case on (don't put the screws back in yet), recconnect the power and sio cables to the 1050, stick in a disk and BOOT UP, try loading a few games, try formatting a few disks, if all is ok, do the same with the disk mech you took from the dodgy 1050 and place it in the good 1050 d/d reconnect the jumpers from the disk mech to the board, make sure the disk mech is properly seated on top of the pcb and then replace the top of the 1050 case (dont put the screws in yet), connect power and cables etc stick in a disk and BOOT UP, try loading a few games, etc etc... that should sort out your problem, if it doesn't try and find someone that repair 1050's in Germany (as you did say you came from germany, or indicated as much)

'schoschie',  have to tried to swap over the disk mechs (...)

882291[/snapback]

Hmm... not a bad idea... could've thought of this myself :D

Yup, I'm from Germany... I could swap the mech myself... problem is I think I saw one of the cables from the mech assembly is soldered onto the main pcb, so I'd have to unsolder it and solder it into the other drive's board... soldering is a good way to completely wreck a pcb if it gets too hot... I'll take a closer look at it...

Thanks!

Nah... Forget it, you obviously have a differtent type of 1050 then the one's i've seen,

All the 1050's i've seen do not have or have never had the drive mech connectors in any way soldered to the pcb... get someone in that knows what they're doing (that way you won't screw up or ruin the 1050)

Bit of a pain I know, but it's better to be safe then SORRY

PCB... Printed Circuit Board (where all the 1050's electronics and IC's are located)... So, there's only 1 PCB in ea. 1050

Edited by carmel_andrews