IGNORED

Could u bring urself 2 open a factory sealed game?

Ross PK

Heh, sorry about the text speak but it was the only way I could fit the topic title in. :P

I just couldn't do it, it would seem too much of a shame, like it'd be ruining it or something.

That's why when I see an Atari 8-bit game that I really want but it's still factory sealed I'm gutted and don't bother buying it. I'm a gamer not a collector so there'd be no point if I can't open it. :|

Heh, sorry about the text speak but it was the only way I could fit the topic title in. :P

I just couldn't do it, it would seem too much of a shame, like it'd be ruining it or something.

That's why when I see an Atari 8-bit game that I really want but it's still factory sealed I'm gutted and don't bother buying it. I'm a gamer not a collector so there'd be no point if I can't open it. :|

882519[/snapback]

Of course, there's no way to verify the contents of a package if you don't open it up. My own curiosity typically always wins in any contest with my collecting instincts. :)

I'm a gamer not a collector so there'd be no point if I can't open it. :|

882519[/snapback]

If you are a gamer and not a collector, what system you wanna play, 400/800 XL XE 8bit computer systems ? if you answered yes, then go check out the flash cartridges, APE software and sio2pc cable over at atarimax.com, then hit atarimania.com, Hang out here, life is good! :)

Edited by ATARIeric

Well, I don't have an Atari 8 bit computer, but I own and play Atari 2600. I bought ALL my games sealed, and then open it and play it. I got very excited everytime I open it. It feels like buying the game fresh from the store in the 70's and 80's, and then couldn't wait to open it and play it for my 2600. No shame whatsoever! Note that buying the game sealed is the only way to guarantee that the cart inside is still in pristine condition.

Edited by Hendra

I'm a gamer not a collector so there'd be no point if I can't open it. :|

882519[/snapback]

If you are a gamer and not a collector, what system you wanna play, 400/800 XL XE 8bit computer systems ? if you answered yes, then go check out the flash cartridges, APE software and sio2pc cable over at atarimax.com, then hit atarimania.com, Hang out here, life is good! :)

882615[/snapback]

I don't mind playing anything, although I do have an 800XL at home. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out, I had a quick scan of that flash cartridge page.

What do you do with them, do you upload roms from your PC onto them or save games that are actually on your Atari 8-bit system to them? They sound good but I'd still want to eventually end up getting the original games. :P

Yeah, I think I'll hang out here, it seems like a good forum, it's great being able to discuss the Atari 8-bit with other dedicated fans. It's what I grew up with as a kid. :D

What do you do with them, do you upload roms from your PC onto them or save games that are actually on your Atari 8-bit system to them? They sound good but I'd still want to eventually end up getting the original games.  :P

Yeah, I think I'll hang out here, it seems like a good forum, it's great being able to discuss the Atari 8-bit with other dedicated fans. It's what I grew up with as a kid.  :D

882867[/snapback]

you program the roms on to the flashcart, using your pc and the 800xl, cart goes in 800xl slot & with a iso2pc cable that hooks up between the 800xl and pc.

atarimax.com has forums where members have posted their own flash multicart images for quick download. its really cool and in the long run, save big $$ :)

I would open a factory sealed item in a heartbeat, unless of course I already had a opened one already.

I believe in Toy Story's view... there is nothing more sad than a toy that has not been played with.

I'm a gamer and collector, but a gamer first, and I think it's just a total waste to collect something that was meant to be USED, and nevr open it. My mind set is to open it and use it as intended, but keep it in MINT condition for collector's purposes. I don't believe a game has to b NIB to be a true collectable, most other things that are collected by collectors are not still NIB; stamp collector's collect MINT stamps, not stamps in srink-wrapped boxes, art collectors don't collect stuff that's "new," car collectors don't usually buy the cars they are collecting right off the showroom floor. Most anything I can think of, besides dolls or action figures, etc. are generally not collected and left in packaging, even action figures are generally traded by collectors in MINT condition and not always still in the original packaging. I think the same should be true of video games. Even dolls and action figures, are only left in packaging becuase the are collected as something to look at and not used. Games are meant to be played and should be. I'd slit the top and leave the packaging and shrinkwrap intact, but it would not be left NIB with me...

I open all games that I buy brand new. Don't know, might be if I could get M.U.L.E. brand new I'd like to keep it like that.

I agree with Gunstar, MINT condition is what it matters. The only advantadge of getting a game brand new, is that you know it is MINT.

However nowadays, you can never be really sure if the game is indeed brand new or it is not. Just because it is shrink wrapped doesn't mean it is factory sealed.

but do you like to smell the inside of the packages after opening them up ?  I sure do,  I love the new smell that comes with it :D    I bet classics would of loved to have smelled my new 130xe when I opened it up out of the box last year.

883118[/snapback]

Yes, I do too. Another wonderful thing that can't be experienced if yu never open them. Even "old stock" or someone else's collectables that I've picked up has a "vintage" new smell to it when opened. Good stuff. But another question back at ATARIeric would be; How much are the games worth? Not that if it's worth quite a bit that they shouldn't still be opened, I just want to prove a point. I bought a copy of the near-holy-grail game 'Battlesphere Gold' on the Jaguar which I could sell for several hundred dollars easy. I opened it. I only slit the top and snuck the cartridge out, but it's meant to be played. You know what? I bet I can get that same several hundred dollars if I sold it in MINT condition today.

I open all games that I buy brand new. Don't know, might be if I could get M.U.L.E. brand new I'd like to keep it like that.

I agree with Gunstar, MINT condition is what it matters. The only advantadge of getting a game brand new, is that you know it is MINT.

However nowadays, you can never be really sure if the game is indeed brand new or it is not. Just because it is shrink wrapped doesn't mean it is factory sealed.

883041[/snapback]

You are right about that. In most cases stuff is bought online, being judge by a description and a digital picture, so you can't know until after the fact if it's truely NIB or Mint/worse condition. But if you look closely at the packageing in hand, you can generally tell, and if it doesn't have the sealed-in "new paper/plastic" aroma, it's not vintage new. I must admit that if I can find something still sealed NIB, for a good price, that I'm as excited as the next guy, but probably for different reasons. First and foremost is that I'm positive it's in MINT condition, and secondly to be the first to open it and smell and enjoy. But I'm happy with mint or near-mint most of the time.

But another question back at ATARIeric would be; How much are the games worth? Not that if it's worth quite a bit that they shouldn't still be opened, I just want to prove a point. I bought a copy of the near-holy-grail game 'Battlesphere Gold' on the Jaguar which I could sell for several hundred dollars easy. I opened it. I only slit the top and snuck the cartridge out, but it's meant to be played. You know what? I bet I can get that same several hundred dollars if I sold it in MINT condition today.

883455[/snapback]

If opening doesnt effect value, then im 100% for opening them up :) , otherwise I play the rom and save the sealed one.

Yes, I do too. Another wonderful thing that can't be experienced if yu never open them. Even "old stock" or someone else's collectables that I've picked up has a "vintage" new smell to it when opened. Good stuff.

883455[/snapback]

:thumbsup:

883041[/snapback]

But if you look closely at the packageing in hand, you can generally tell, and if it doesn't have the sealed-in "new paper/plastic" aroma, it's not vintage new.

883457[/snapback]

Sometimes yes, sometimes is difficult.

Some months ago I purchased one game "factory sealed" at Ebay. When I opened everything looked and smelled like NIB, but there was a problem ... The game is from Datasoft, but the sleeve there was from Broderbund :(

If somebody opened the box carefully some time ago, changed the sleeve (or the disk) or say, removed a poster, and then it sealed it again; it would be very hard to tell.

I purchased other brand new stuff that I found it wasn't. Sometimes was obvious (in one case the disk had a cracked version), sometimes was not.

883041[/snapback]

But if you look closely at the packageing in hand, you can generally tell, and if it doesn't have the sealed-in "new paper/plastic" aroma, it's not vintage new.

883457[/snapback]

Sometimes yes, sometimes is difficult.

Some months ago I purchased one game "factory sealed" at Ebay. When I opened everything looked and smelled like NIB, but there was a problem ... The game is from Datasoft, but the sleeve there was from Broderbund :(

If somebody opened the box carefully some time ago, changed the sleeve (or the disk) or say, removed a poster, and then it sealed it again; it would be very hard to tell.

I purchased other brand new stuff that I found it wasn't. Sometimes was obvious (in one case the disk had a cracked version), sometimes was not.

883586[/snapback]

Nothing like that has happened to me yet.

I have bought and sold many Atari 8-bit carts. I always open every cart I receive and test it on original hardware, regardless of rarity (yes, even a mint sealed boulderdash cart once).

I used to avoid it and once realized that the user manual was missing from one of my sealed carts (not the boulderdash, thankfully). It was a facrtory sealed cart (ET phone home). The seal even said "compatible with atari xl/xe series also" or something like that. However, the manual was missing. Mint condition, all -- manual absent. I even once received a "mint conditon "Pit Stop" cart, although it functioned improperly (graphics glitches). I later sold it as mal-functioning.

Factory seal only guarantees that the item was once packaged in a factory (perhaps not by someone as enthusiatic about perfection as you or me). It does not guarantee mint condition (depending on your definition). Also, I would not feel comfortable selling an item for which I could not verify contents, so I insist on personal verification.

Furthermore, I worked for a while at a used computer store. It was not uncommon for us to take used software and shrinkwap it in-house to improve its appearance and resaleability -- store policy. Shrinkwrap interests me very little as a consumer, collector, or reseller.

Hmmm, I'm quite surprised by the responses on here.

I thought a lot of other people would feel the same about it... I guess it's just me. :)

Although that Archon game that I have was sealed, and it stayed like that for months until I couldn't resist opening it up to play the game.

But afterwards it did feel like I had ruined it or something.

I suppose it's knowing it's still factory sealed, untouched, and it's made it all these years like that... I dunno, it just feels sacriligious to open it up and let the slow degridation begin. :|

Maybe I'm just weird. :roll: :)

It varies, I get so few sealed games that the dilema doesn't appear that often. Of course I'm sitting here looking at a pristine sealed copy of Robotron: 2084 that I recently bought. I already have the game but purchased it to get the joystick holder included in the box. I didn't realize that the box was sealed when I ordered it so now I'm trying to figure out whether or not I want to open it for the cheap plastic joystick holder since I could make one myself (duct tape works wonders :D ) The game has been sitting here on my desk for 2 months now while I'm still debating.

Hmmm, I'm quite surprised by the responses on here.

I thought a lot of other people would feel the same about it... I guess it's just me.  :) 

Although that Archon game that I have was sealed, and it stayed like that for months until I couldn't resist opening it up to play the game.

But afterwards it did feel like I had ruined it or something.

I suppose it's knowing it's still factory sealed, untouched, and it's made it all these years like that... I dunno, it just feels sacriligious to open it up and let the slow degridation begin.  :|

Maybe I'm just weird.  :roll:  :)

884127[/snapback]

the problem with that theory is that the "slow degridation" begins the day it was manufactured, regardless of if it's ever been opened or not. I gotten "new" stuff before, like Lynx card games, 8-bit floppy disks, etc. that deteriorated in the sealed box. Time is what does it, not "exposure from the box" Time gets inside sealed boxes as well as air. Sealed means nothing unless it's hemmetically sealed and in an air-tight vaccum.

I bought a NIB Autoduel from B&C a month or two ago and have almost finished the game. The bad news is that disk 2 had a "Side C" label that looked like it had come off of somebody's printer and didn't look like the Origin sticker on disk 1 at all, so you never know. I had no problem opening it though, it was great and felt like buying the game new back in the old days, even though I had bought this game back in 1987 but lost it somewhere along the way. I guess the point of my story is go ahead and open it, like others have said even if it is shrinkwrapped new looking it might not really be new and it is better to know. Plus games are meant for playing, not sitting on a shelf.