IGNORED

Pitfall II on the 8bits

IIRC there IS second level on non-cart version. Some day I had beaten first level by meeting scared dog. There are also 2 other objects on the second level.

...but I just forgot what the story was about... :/

Sorry for being pedantic but there is no such thing as a "disk image" of the game. It was only released on cartridge in the US and tape in the UK. Both are the same, only the copyright differs...

What you have is either an Atari executable cracked from cartridge / tape or a completely useless fake ATR image made from that executable. AFAIK, there is no cassette dump of the game yet.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

I love threads like this, reminds me to fire up APE/sio2pc and play the game :)

Atari Frog, the dump you have of Pitfall II on your site is a cart .rom, what's the best way to play that through sio2pc? Convert it to an .exe and use the hard drive mirror? I haven't seen a program to convert cart images to .exe on the PC (I have all the games .atr and .exe alreadly) and I was wondering what your opinions were since you had strong opinions on not converting executables to .atrs

a cart .rom, what's the best way to play that through sio2pc?  Convert it to an .exe and use the hard drive mirror?

You can't just convert a cartridge image to an executable or ATR image. It must be "cracked" which usually involves dealing with the bank switching code somehow (if a bank switched cart.)

The only way to play it via SIO2PC is to get a cracked version. I believe Atarimania's goal is to perserve the atari software in it's "original" form (a worthy goal, but some people still want to get and play these games via sio2pc) so they probably don't offer a cracked version for download.

Atari Frog's point was about an ATR image, not about a cracked version.

True, you can't convert a ROM cartridge image to an exe, but you can't convert it to ATR neither. It must be cracked. But why an ATR, why not a simple cracked exe that you can load with PC mirror, or with your favorite menu?

Edited by ijor

Would i be right in saying that 16k carts very rarely used bank switching anyway, as pitfall 2 was only 16k if mem. serves me right, i suppose a better question would be, how many 16k cart's used bank switching?

I do remember when i tried to convert the original cart to binary file, i think it had some s/w protection that detected if a cartridge was inserted , and that it wouldn't display the graphics properly, all you got was a blank screen,

I believe Atarimania's goal is to perserve the atari software in it's "original" form (a worthy goal, but some people still want to get and play these games via sio2pc) so they probably don't offer a cracked version for download.

Shawn is correct. I agree it's really unpractical for people not using emulators but we'd rather have original versions when we can...

--

Atari Frog

Sorry for being pedantic but there is no such thing as a "disk image" of the game. It was only released on cartridge in the US and tape in the UK. Both are the same, only the copyright differs...

What you have is either an Atari executable cracked from cartridge / tape or a completely useless fake ATR image made from that executable. AFAIK, there is no cassette dump of the game yet.

--

Atari Frog

887123[/snapback]

OK, I'm probably using the wrong term. It's an .atr file I downloaded which I thought was disk image. Frankly I just play games on my 800Xl via the sio2PC so I never bothered to learn all of the terminology. To be honest, I don't care where it came from.

I didn't get a chance to try it last night so hopefully this evening.

do you have the atari connected to this sio-pc thru the pc/mac (if that's possible), or just an atari dd

887556[/snapback]

An old PC. I use APE for the transfers. An Atari computer was one of those things I lusted after as a kid but we could never afford it. This thing (which I bought here at the AA store) lets me try all of those games I drooled over in the magazines back in the day. I bought the sio2pc unit and modified a cable from a 410 recorder for it.

Edited by joeybastard

I do remember when i tried to convert the original cart to binary file, i think it had some s/w protection that detected if a cartridge was inserted

To be precise, they usually don't actually detect if a cartridge was inserted or not. All cartridge protections I've seen they just write to the cartridge area. If it is RAM and not ROM, then this will overwrite data or code.

It is not exactly the same as detecting a cartridge. There is a way to do this in the 8-bit, but I've never seen it used. It is very surprising they didn't, because you could easily defeat the PILL this way.

Did Pitfall II come out on cartridge in Australia as well?

I remember reading in an older topic that there were some PFII carts which had weird lables which came out in Aus.

I'm in the UK and have got PFII on cart and it too has the same weird lable. (it's like some weird red and white shape which doesn't resemble anything jumping across with trees in the background)

If I find a piccy of it I'll stick it up in here.

Did Pitfall II come out on cartridge in Australia as well?

888372[/snapback]

Yes. Most of the Activision carts had different labels in Oz, and they came in plastic gatefold cases.

888382[/snapback]

Here's a current ebay (UK) auction for the Oz Pitfall II cart variation:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8205539281