IGNORED

My portable Atari 8-bit is finally here!

God, and I believed it for a second! I mean, I've seen portable Ataris before, but not with TFT screens, and certainly not with an SRS logo on the side!

What is the point of this? You've simply taken a laptop and stuck an Atari sticker on it! Not cool.

892156[/snapback]

I was hoping to see an official atari 8bit portable that looks similar to the psp :P

I was hoping to see an official atari 8bit portable that looks similar to the psp  :P

892211[/snapback]

That would be really cool but in this case the credit for the hardware goes to Toshiba.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cmod.t...67&ccid=1291021

While it's not as good as "the real thing", this little machine is the answer at last to one of my long standing classic machine goals - be able to have every computer I've ever owned and every classic arcade game in the palm of my hand (and it's an incredibly capable palmtop to boot). Thanks to this awesome piece of hardware (and the hard work of many talented folks) - now I can at last.

And that Atari sticker wasn't just for the photo - it's staying on there just to make people look a third time, and keep Atari on peoples minds :D

The fingerprint scanner works quite well. And it doubles nicely as a scroll wheel too. It's hard to know just how small the U105 is until you actually see one - so I put this retro horror on top to give it some perspective :)

So much power in such a small device - it blows through MAME nearly as well as the P4 3Ghz that powers my MAME cabinet.

I used pocket atari a while back, and while it was a great effort it ran too slowly to be useful and it had some show stopper issues that I was in contact with the developer about to fix, but alas it seems he abandonded the project a long time ago. That and the fact that the ipaq (and almost every single PPC) doesn't have a usable directional device for games :(

I see that XEGS of yours has quite a few non factory parts!

post-5887-1121456718_thumb.jpg

Edited by remowilliams

What kind of battery life do you get on it?

I'd love one of these kinds of things but at about $2K a pop it's just too expensive.

Fujitsu has a model that's a little bigger than this that goes for about $4-500 less.

892677[/snapback]

So far it looks like about 2.5-3 hours in full bore desktop mode and about 3-5 hours in the power saving modes. Not bad at all.

I've seen the Fujitsu lifebooks, they're pretty nice machines. The Libretto isn't exactly cheap at 2K, but it is worth every penny. That and my gf bought half of it for my birthday :)

Nice little toy u have there!

I likewise have a perfect Atari Portable - I use a SONY T series laptop as my portable emulation machine - it runs Atari800win superbly, plus it can handle anything else I throw at it - STEEM and MAME usually - as well as most desktop systems!

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....mputers_TSeries

The screen is AMAZING and its easy to get between 5 and 7 hours of battery life from this little cracker!

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

I likewise have a perfect Atari Portable - I use a SONY T series laptop as my portable emulation machine - it runs Atari800win superbly, plus it can handle anything else I throw at it - STEEM and MAME usually - as well as most desktop systems!

893117[/snapback]

The Sony's are nice too. As a matter of fact the Libretto is replacing my Vaio TR2 (the model right before the one you've got). Now I just have to sell it, don't need an ultraportable and a palm top :)