IGNORED

2600 Giant list Labels, boxes, manuals, UPDATED!

Philflound

Omegamatrix,

Could you please tell me which ones are PAL and which ones are NTSC?

I can't add these scans to the database if I don't know their format.

My goal is to give each Atari re-release its own entry in the database of Atarimania, but I won't give each label variation its own entry.

For example, this is the entry of a re-release of a PAL Dodge 'Em with two different front-label variations:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...ERSION_ID=18171

When you click on the number above the uploaded picture, you can switch between the different scans.

This way the viewer can spot minor differences between front-labels of the same re-release.

If the differences are very difficult to spot, I could place an additional comment underneath.

The next step will be adding different end-labels.

8)

I don't know why, but it never occured to me to check these to see if they are PAL or NTSC. My primary TV plays both and I usually just fire in a cart to see if it works. I just pulled out my secondary TV that rolls with PAL carts and I can now say all these scans are NTSC. While I was doing all this I found two more Atari Corps:

post-7074-1149346971_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1149346983_thumb.jpg

Also NTSC, I presume?

Thanks for clearing this up, Omegamatrix.

I will add them to the database ASAP.

BTW: I'm having problems with the huge size of the scans you posted.

When I want to resize them to a smaller picture, they loose a lot of their excellent quality.

8)

Yes, These are NTSC as well. I will rescan them smaller for you. :)

I've rescanned these. The difference here is I saved them as a PNG format before resizing them. This is much better for resizing them as compared to resizing a JPEG image, because (and correct me if I'm wrong) JPEG is a form of compression and quality is lost in resizing something that is already been reshaped.

post-7074-1149479825_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1149479848_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1149479891_thumb.jpg

post-7074-1149479911_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1149479949_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1149480003_thumb.jpg

Here is a comparision. All the Atari Corps labels are on the right side of the scan and the regular Atari labels on the left.

post-7074-1149480025_thumb.jpg

These are all the other Atari Corps that I have shown. The Missile Command labels are different. The first one is the Atari Corps, the second one the Sears picture, and the last two regular Atari carts (upper and lower case).

post-7074-1149480058_thumb.jpg

I've resized these to have a 400 pixels width for each cart. I noticed that the ratio didn't resize the height of the scan very well each time. Let me know Rom if something is not working here. I got the original scans saved in PNG know so it's easy to mess around with them and find a good rate of compression.

*Note to all people scanning labels. As far as I understand it the most important thing is to save your scan in a format that doesn't compress it before trying to resize it. There are other formats besides PNG. You could also try PCX and BMP. The labels that the various websites showcase seem to be scanned in at 200dpi. They have an average Atari cartridge width of 400 pixels, and an average Atari box scan of 600 pixels. You might have to resize your image to match this, but please do it in a format that doesn't use compression first.

If anyone can add more please do. If I have misunderstood something please correct me. I'm very new to doing this, and if someone knows a better way to get a high quality image at 200dpi then it would be much appreciated. Currently I scan my carts using the software for my Lexmark X1110 (printer/scanner combo) and resize it in Picture It! 9. The Picture It! 9 does a far better job then the Lexmark software for resizing.

I appreciate to collect all the cartridges, also with the variations of label, instructions and other details.

It has many variations of label, plastic box of the cartridge and until details in the plastic box from cartridge (some carts Game Program does not have the 'opening mechanism' for example).

It would be important to exist information about all these variations.

The game Pitfall II for example has two different types of instructions (one in English and another one in some languages) and two labels also different (see images).

Game HERO also has this variation in label (one seems that it is for the Europe, code AB >> EAB).

The manuals in black & white colors of last editions also are interesting.

post-7030-1149609799_thumb.jpg

post-7030-1149609863_thumb.jpg

I appreciate to collect all the cartridges, also with the variations of label, instructions and other details.

It has many variations of label, plastic box of the cartridge and until details in the plastic box from cartridge (some carts Game Program does not have the 'opening mechanism' for example).

The game Pitfall II for example has two different types of instructions (one in English and another one in some languages) and two labels also different (see images).

Game HERO also has this variation in label (one seems that it is for the Europe, code AB >> EAB).

Lol, I never realized there are two different labels for Pitfall II. That's great Sr. Ferraz! Thanks for sharing. :cool:

Lol, I never realized there are two different labels for Pitfall II. That's great Sr. Ferraz! Thanks for sharing. :cool:

All Activision labels with an E before their model numbers are PAL releases.

8)

Just look at the variation list and you'll be up to date. In fact I now have both Pitfall II labels scanned. After I'm done collaborating with Chris Sly, 5th Ghost, Rom, and Staberinde, I should have the majority of the variation scans available for everyone by summer's end. Rom's doing the website, since I can't, but I'll have the variation list marked with an * for all carts that I have a scan for. All you'll need to do is just ask. Once Rom has the site up and running with all variations, then no one will need to ask me for them. This is gonna be an awesome project. I'm looking to get my scanner this weekend, so then I'll really be in swing. I have so many variations to scan, and that includes boxes.

Anyone who would like the updated list now, even though it's still in process can contact me with your email. I'm working on all the 3rd party scans before I tackle Atari and I'm up to M Network already. If you don't want the list now, but want to be on the consistent emailing of an updated list, also feel free to send me your email. I'm not updating the list on my website because I'm making so many changes. I'll be wasting too much time, so when I feel I'm ready with enough scans and new additions, I'll update the site all at once.

Phil

I never heard back about the Codebreaker variation and what people thought on whether or not I should list Sears labels that have the fade vs not having the fade as a variation. Let me know. I'm posting the picture again in case you didn't read it originally. It seems that some of the text end labels fade and a black box appears around the title while others of the same game don't fade. I was wondering should I present that as a variation. I may go ahead and do it anyway.

What I also wanted to know is should I put Salu and HES variations in the Activision listings? I thought about listing the variation and writing in the description that this is Salu or HES. The reason why I'm considering this is that the packaging and such is almost identical to the originals. But let me know. I believe there are a couple already included that I put "this may be HES".

Phil

I never heard back about the Codebreaker variation and what people thought on whether or not I should list Sears labels that have the fade vs not having the fade as a variation. Let me know. I'm posting the picture again in case you didn't read it originally. It seems that some of the text end labels fade and a black box appears around the title while others of the same game don't fade. I was wondering should I present that as a variation. I may go ahead and do it anyway.

What I also wanted to know is should I put Salu and HES variations in the Activision listings? I thought about listing the variation and writing in the description that this is Salu or HES. The reason why I'm considering this is that the packaging and such is almost identical to the originals. But let me know. I believe there are a couple already included that I put "this may be HES".

Phil

post-1349-1149700223_thumb.jpg

I've always thought those Sears labels were the result of fading and not really worth tracking. I never really considered that they could have been that way originally, but I suppose that's possible and I guess that would make them label variants. I'll have to see how many I have like that in my collection. If several of us have the same title and label with the exact same type of "fading", it might be evidence that such labels were like that originally and are worthy of consideration as label variants.

BTW, Phil and Rom, I haven't forgot about getting you more scans. ;)

Edited by Christophero Sly

The thing with the labels is that there is a subtle difference with the main label too. The main label that has the faded/box thing going remains solid with its colors. The white letters a consistent white. The version that has the good end label has the main label where the white letters have red "bleeding" to make them look a purplish color instead of the consistent white.

I went shopping for scanners today. Talk about a pain. Walmart had crap, just something with a printer and copier built in together. I then went to Best Buy. More crap. The only scanner that was a scanner and not a printer was like $250, and I'm not about to spend money on that. I'm considering trying to get my old scanner working again. I think I tried finding new drivers, but when you have a scanner that is like 6 or so years old, companies have a reputation of not maintaining any type of support for it. I was told that the scanner is not compatible with Windows XP. My next venture will be to Circuit City and Comp USA and see what they have to offer. I want to find something for like $80.

Phil

Yay! I got my scanner to work. At least for the time being. So now I'll be working on getting the variations that I can't find anywhere else that I own myself. Also, if my label is better than the what I can find, then I'll replace that too. Right now I'm up to Parker Brothers. I should be done with all 3rd party scans (besides the ones I have to scan) by this weekend, then will get to work on the Atari made labels.

Phil

All I can say is WOW! Rom Hunter has done a tremendous job in getting his site up and running with scans of tons of the variations. He has so many scans that I'm now going over his website and outright adding a ton of variations to the list. The only problem he has with the site is that his scans do not include end labels of the carts. This causes slight problems since I can't see if certain variations have the same end label, or different. I'll have to ask if he has end label scans, or possibly if he can get them from other collectors. End labels are just as important as the main label, in that sometimes the variation lies just in the end label.

Phil

Alrighty. After going extensively through Rom's site, and getting permission to use scans from Atariguide.com, I have come up with a major update with Activision. This took me a few days to do. There were many international labels and boxes I added to the list. I will eventually get manuals, but unless I see them, I can't just throw them in there.

But I wanted to get as many scans as possible done. I have also finished 20th century fox and am almost complete through Parker Brothers on 75% of the scans. I'm betting to have the 3rd party stuff all complete by next week. The giant list is now about 108 pages in MS Word. Giant isn't even the word anymore. I figure by the time all is said and done, it should be over 125 pages.

I did update the list with all the noted scans on 20th century fox and activision live on the website. So if anyone wants or needs any scans they cannot find elsewhere, feel free to contact me. I'm missing several boxes for Activision, and I believe CPU had these, but doesn't have access to a scanner. So please look at the list. Any box or label without an * means I don't have a scan and can use one. That goes for main and end labels, and front and back of box. Thanks.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

I also wanted to mention it in this thread too, since this covers the giant list of label variations. I've add a 5th link in my signature that shows/will show a comparison of specific labels and mold differences. This is a visual, side-by-side of the variations, so the collector can see exactly what is described in the giant list. If something is apparant, I probably won't cover it specifically, but the more subtle differences will be noted.

Since this is another work in progress, which I'm doing lists, scans, and updating both sites all at the same time, you'll see things advance as the days and weeks go by. I'm working on the physical cart differences first, which I've gotten up a few of the companies. Atari itself I'm leaving till last since that is going to take up the most time. But in the meantime, enjoy the work I've done. If there are any items that you think I'm missing, or forgot to cover, feel free to contact me, and send me scans so I can update the site.

Phil

That fifth link is exactly what people have been searching for a long time for. At a quick glance you can see all the variations of the shells. Thanks a lot for it Phil, and hopefully more can be added to it soon. :)

Well, since things went pretty good today during the day, I'm hoping to have both Data Age and M Network on the site. M Network is going to be the fun one, since I believe there are like 9 different variations on the back, and the molded "M Network" on the front vs the one not shown. I put white arrows to point out the differences to make everyone's life easier. I'm actually having fun with this. So let me get some sleep tonight and I'll get working tomorrow after I ship a few packages and send out a few resumes. :)

Phil

I have some boxes that you don't have listed in your large list.

Centipede: 1988 Printed in Hong Kong, 6 languages on the back. This is sealed so I haven't looked at the label or instructions.

Missile Command: 1987 Printed in Taiwan 5 languages on the back. This is sealed so I haven't looked at the label or instructions.

Berzerk: I no longer have this one but it had a 1987 copyright on the box and multiple languages.

post-44-1150219166_thumb.jpg

post-44-1150219173_thumb.jpg

post-44-1150219181_thumb.jpg

post-44-1150219189_thumb.jpg

post-44-1150219196_thumb.jpg

post-44-1150219204_thumb.jpg

post-44-1150219712_thumb.jpg

Since I haven't gotten to the Atari section yet, anything new will not be added any time soon. I'm glad you post though, because if Rom can get these on his site by the time I reach Atari, then they'll be added. I guess you don't have a scanner. I'd prefer to have scanned versions instead of photo. We're trying to get detailed scans so that anyone who is holding one in their hands can see if they have the same one, or see any subtle differences.

On a side note, I've added Data Age on the list of cart variations, and I've described a few Activision labels. The way I'm showing the various Activision labels is exactly what this 5th link website is going to be all about. I'm not going to have every scan known. I'm going to show examples of the various labels from the company so people can see what we're talking about at a glance. I'm about to go downstairs and try to find all 9 mold variations for M Network and try to get that up on the site tonight.

If anyone has other mold/cart differences than what I have up there, point them out. I'm reviewing the list to see what I should be showing. One I'm definitely going to cover is the circuit board protector for Atari: locking, sliding, and none. Just need to find one of my sliding ones in the midst of all the carts I have.

Phil

If anyone has other mold/cart differences than what I have up there, point them out. I'm reviewing the list to see what I should be showing.

Are you intending to also cover Activision's "screenshot" variations? (With and without black border, more and less colorful, any other changes, etc.) I see that you happened to already show two versions for Skiing and two for Tennis.

I wasn't going to show screenshot variations as in Freeway yellow vs Freeway color, same with Fishing Derby, Barnstorming, etc. That seems pretty straightforward. What I was showing was label variations in general, not specifically per title. I could've used any other game for the sample.

I am curious however on the with and without black border. I have not written that in the giant list, nor was it ever noted to my knowledge for any game. I'm going to take a quick glance at what you may be referring to, which I think is the tv screen border. If you have a sample, show me one with and without side by side so I can see what you're exactly referring to. I may have to make modifications to the giant list on this. Thanks.

Actually I thought about it and decided I'm adding a sample of the regular vs colorful carts and mentioning the others that are like it.

Phil

Edited by Philflound