IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 4: Vault Assault

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

For enless centuries, you have guarded the archive of eternal knowledge, a prized collection of science, art, and culture that contains the remains of eons of history. But determined collectors will stop at nothing to get their hands on your valuables! They are attacking from all angles, but you must fight them off using your powerful laser and all the reflexes you can muster, because this week's game is Vault Assault!

By the way, in case you don't have this game, it's available from the AtariAge Store. Support AtariAge and homebrew authors by buying this great game!

Game Information

• Game Name: Vault Assault
  • Released By: Brian Prescott, 2001
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert
  • Right Difficulty: No Effect?
  • Game Mode: No Effect?
  • Chosen By: keilbaca

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, August 15th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be Cybergoth! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. 724,660 (keilbaca) [+11]
  2. 261,920 (SpiceWare) [+10]
  3. 253,010 (LarcenTyler) [+9]
  4. 114,400 (vgcollector666) [+8]
  5. 62,910 (brendano) [+7]
  6. 36,790 (Mad Scientist) [+6]
  7. 36,700 (128bytes) [+5]
  8. 35,620 (khryssun) [+4]
  9. 33,060 (Omegamatrix) [+3]
  10. 19,330 (supercat) [+2]
  11. 17,430 (Gamemaster_ca_2003) [+1]
  12. 16,770 (panda_racer) [+1]
  13. 16,110 (sku_u) [+1]
  14. 13,390 (scogey) [+1]
  15. 12,360 (Keir) [+1]
  16. 11,980 (Goochman) [+1]

Best Tips

• LarcenTyler [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(difficulty B)
  1. 20,940 (David B Yancey)

Current Standings

1. SpiceWare [27]
  2. khryssun [25]
  3. keilbaca [25]
  4. shadow460 [18]
  5. sku_u [16]
  6. xeex [12]
  7. Keir [12]
  8. Robert M [11]
  9. the 5th ghost [10]
  10. LarcenTyler [9]
  11. Goochman [7]
  12. vdub_bobby [7]
  13. vgcollector666 [6]
  14. panda_racer [6]
  15. Numan [5]
  16. Omegamatrix [5]
  17. Fellow Atari Man [5]
  18. Malc74 [3]
  19. supercat [3]
  20. scogey [3]
  21. Atarifever [2]
  22. Dan Iacovelli [2]
  23. Gateway [1]
  24. StanJr [1]
  25. Mad Scientist [1]
  26. FireTiger [1]
  27. Luigi301 [1]
  28. gospeedde [1]
  29. davepesc [1]

Member List

Cybergoth, sku_u, Chris++, cvga, LarcenTyler, 128bytes, Goochman, mikeftrevino, StanJr, Osbo, Numan, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch, Stingray, scogey, Bubbledragon, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, SpiceWare, Robert M, Lord Helmet, Lord Thag, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir, supercat, Philflound, Fellow Atari Man, keilbaca, brendano

Scoring Points in Vault Assault

Coming Soon!

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well unfortunately, AtariAge doesn't have a copy available online. If anyone happens to have a link to one, or has typed it out, let me know so I can reference it here.

-Enemies are worth more points when they first appear as opposed to when they start to attack you, so try to shoot them as quickly as possible.

-When you lose a life, you don't automatically reappear, you must move the joystick, or else you'll lose another life.

- Move to the next target as soon as you fire. Don't watch the target you shot get blown up, or you will lose valuable time.

- The game gets much harder if you let any of the assaulters move in towards the vault, so try to shoot them as soon as they appear.

Keep your ship in either the top or bottom position when there are no enemies left to shoot. This way you have a better chance of taking them out as they appear, because it takes a shorter time for them to reach you from the top to bottom then it does from left to right.
-Use a game pad, it will give you more and faster response for the simple directions. You can use a 7800, SMS or Genesis gamepad.

-Learn to make sure you've changed directions before you shoot. If you thought you changed directions but didn't and then you shoot, you will not have enough time to shoot the enemy that is close to you.

Good luck everyone!

--Ze_ro

Yeah, I wanted to do the T.E. edition, but he didn't release the ROM for that. So, we're playing this one. I hope you all enjoy the game!

EDIT: Holy crap, world records exist for this! Time to roll it!

Edited by keilbaca

I got this one confused with Secret Agent, thinking I'd need the paddles. At any rate, this is definitely a fun game, I must play it more. Either way, here are a couple of tidbits to note:

-Enemies are worth more points when they first appear as opposed to when they start to attack you, so try to shoot them as quickly as possible.

-When you lose a life, you don't automatically reappear, you must move the joystick, or else you'll lose another life.

post-1653-1123595043_thumb.jpg

There's not many tips for this game, its just quick reflexes.

This isn't vault assault TE so you don't have to worry about not missing extra lives.

EDIT: I played a game... and yeah...

post-4191-1123605683_thumb.jpg

Edited by keilbaca

I played it last night on my 7800 with Cuttle Cart 2 and scored 36,700.

Tips -

- Move to the next target as soon as you fire. Don't watch the target you shot get blown up, or you will lose valuable time.

- The game gets much harder if you let any of the assaulters move in towards the vault, so try to shoot them as soon as they appear.

Edited by 128bytes

First post: 33060

I just got my ass kicked out there. The only tip I can possible think of is to keep your ship in either the top or bottom position when there are no enemies left to shoot. This way you have a better chance of taking them out as they appear, because it takes a shorter time for them to reach you from the top to bottom then it does from left to right.

post-7074-1123707162_thumb.jpg

The best tips I can think of are:

-Use a game pad, it will give you more and faster response for the simple directions. You can use a 7800, SMS or Genesis gamepad.

-Learn to make sure you've changed directions before you shoot. If you thought you changed directions but didn't and then you shoot, you will not have enough time to shoot the enemy that is close to you.