IGNORED

Why Collect for the 5200?

Atari Scorpio

I have been collecting for the 5200 a few years now and I have always wished that atari released games like battlezone, millipede, food fight, cloak and dagger, and crystal castles. Which got me thinking. Why collect for the 5200? I could get all those games, with the exception with cloak and dagger for the atari xe game system, plus my favorites like centipede, missile command, etc. and the games would be identical to the 5200. Plus, the controller problem would be solved for games like pac-man. All of this got me thinking. What's every else think about this and why should we all collect for the 5200?

i own close to 25 different systems. The 5200 has eluded me for many years, that was until this weekend and all i can say is, SHAME ON ME. I should've picked up one of these bad boys years ago. I love it. So much fun, Realsports baseball is the best baseball game from that era that i've played, the voices are better than what i've played on the Intellevision with the voice module.

Great system and i can't wait to start getting more stuff for it. Just wish i had a fully working joystick, oh well, at least i can play 3 out of the 5 games i own.

The 5200 has some great titles, much better styling, and believe it or not (once you spend the time & money to get them running) the controllers work very well. I've never found the 'non-centering' nature of the sticks to be a problem, but people are very divided on that point. Some games, such as Star Raiders, actually play better on the 5200 IMHO. In the end though, it's a matter of opinion. I just like the way the thing looks. It's got a lot of great homebrews for it too.

Personally, I collect both. :D

Why collect for the 5200?  I could get all those games, with the exception with cloak and dagger for the atari xe game system, plus my favorites like centipede, missile command, etc. and the games would be identical to the 5200. 

Interesting that your 2 named examples WON'T be identical on the XE, as both Missile Command and Centipede make use of the analog joystick.

Edited by JB

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
By all means, just buy an 8-Bit or an XE... they're exactly the same.

Besides... one less 5200 collector means that much more 5200 stuff to go around for the rest of us.

:)

You make a compelling argument.

Semi-related, and just curious: How many games use the trackball?

It's in the FAQ

Thanks for nothing! :P

Just kidding. Looking at that list:

Centipede

Football/RealSports Football

Galaxian

Kaboom!

K-Razy Shootout

Millipede

Missile Command

Pole Position

RealSports Baseball

Soccer/RealSports Soccer

Space Invaders

Super Breakout

Looks to me like you are talking about 3 games, really: Centipede, Millipede, and Missile Command. :ponder:

I like alternative controllers, but recommending the 5200 because the trackball is so awesome seems a little like recommending the 2600 because the driving controllers rock. :ponder: I mean, it may be true, but there just aren't many games that use it.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Semi-related, and just curious: How many games use the trackball?

It's in the FAQ

Thanks for nothing! :P

Just kidding. Looking at that list:

Centipede

Football/RealSports Football

Galaxian

Kaboom!

K-Razy Shootout

Millipede

Missile Command

Pole Position

RealSports Baseball

Soccer/RealSports Soccer

Space Invaders

Super Breakout

Looks to me like you are talking about 3 games, really: Centipede, Millipede, and Missile Command. :ponder:

I like alternative controllers, but recommending the 5200 because the trackball is so awesome seems a little like recommending the 2600 because the driving controllers rock. :ponder: I mean, it may be true, but there just aren't many games that use it.

Except the trackball will work with ANY 5200 game, because it has an analog stick emulation mode in it. The driving controllers only work with games that support them.

Also, Breakout-style games are fairly fun with a trackball.