IGNORED

CC2 Sell Out Price

cschell

At what price would you buy a CC2?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. At what price would you buy a CC2?

• $200.00
    • $175.00
    • $150.00
    • $125.00
    • $100.00
    • $75.00
    • $50.00
    • $25.00

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I voted $200 because it's such a masterful piece of engineering I'd pay that price twice.

933058[/snapback]

Exactly. Though of course what the cart actually does in itself is amazing - when I first cracked the case to put in the POKEY I was just awestruck by the quality of the engineering work. It looks like a production from a large corporation and not the work of a single man.

I'd hate to think that Chad would be losing money on the second production run by clearing them out at a price that a) didn't cover his costs or b) made the whole thing not worth the effort :|

Hi,

How many CC2 where made?

I love mine its an awesome High Quality product that Chad really put the time into making it something special. And I swear some of the games actually look better on the CC2 then they do on their actual carts. For example Mario's face in Mario Bros is a flesh color instead of purple, the mice men in Scrapyard Dog are brown instead of green and the list goes on. I don't know if its a quirk on my CC2 (or system or cart) or if all CC2's do it but that bonus plus not having to find and swap carts every time you want to play another game make the CC2 a great buy at any price. Finally I hope anyone else who has an Atari 7800 or wants to buy an Atari 7800 in the future picks one of these up because once they are gone they are gone.

Once Again Thanks Chad its a Geat Product!

Tom

Edit

Scratch out that the games looking better part. I just checked some of my carts and they look exactly the same on the CC2. And well they should since the CC2 doesn't use emulation because your running it through the Atari hardware. I guess I was so impressed with what this little thing could do everything seemed a little bit better ;)

Edited by NightDriver

plus not having to find and swap carts every time you want to play another game make the CC2 a great buy at any price.  Finally I hope anyone else who has an Atari 7800 or wants to buy an Atari 7800 in the future picks one of these up because once they are gone they are gone. 

Once Again Thanks Chad its a Geat Product!

Tom

933276[/snapback]

I think it's a "Must Have" for anyone w/ a 7800 as well ($ nonwithstanding). I figure at $200 we could never compete the whole collection of 2600 and 7800 games. For someone who just wants to play the games and not collect the carts then it's also just right. :)

Don't have a lot of patience with playing one game for a long time so it's perfect for me. It's also nice to try out really rare games before we drop the $ on them. If a game is truly horrible, rare or not I am less likely to spend a lot of $.

It's also great for anyone who wants to take a system while they are traveling and don't want to take a ton of carts. Lots of fun playing in our hotel room on many occasions. :D

$200 was just fine. Anyone asking to buy one for less clearly doesn't understand or appreciate the work involved in creating these, and most likely wouldn't even buy it at the cheaper price.

This isn't a pain in the ass multi-cart you can dump 5 or 10 games to. It's the ENTIRE 2600 & 7800 Collection (minus Pitfall II) on one MMC-driven cart with customizable menus.

I'd pay $300 if that were the asking price.

Don't sell yourself short, Chad.

$200 was just fine. Anyone asking to buy one for less clearly doesn't understand or appreciate the work involved in creating these, and most likely wouldn't even buy it at the cheaper price.

This isn't a pain in the ass multi-cart you can dump 5 or 10 games to. It's the ENTIRE 2600 & 7800 Collection (minus Pitfall II) on one MMC-driven cart with customizable menus.

I'd pay $300 if that were the asking price.

Don't sell yourself short, Chad.

933339[/snapback]

Most multicarts I've seen have that type of difficult interface, or they're loaded with cheesy games. That gives any multicart a bad rap, including the CC2 and the SuperCharger.

I've never used a CC2, and the experience I've had with multicarts in the past comes to mind--pay gobs of money for something I use a little while and set aside.

The SuperCharger provided a better experience that any other that I have used.

I see the CC2 as a programming tool more than a collection of games. Even bearing in mind how clunky my card reader is, based on what I've heard I think the CC2 would stand out ahead of the rest.

Instead of seeing it as a multicart from the past, I try to see it as an emulator that emulates everything from the game's ROM to the actual controllers and old television.

Accurate emulation plus the programming tool equals price.

I voted $75 myself based on what I think the CC2's rarity will be.

I could save my money and buy one, but $200 is a lot.

I really wouldn't put Multicarts, Emulators or the CC2 in the same categories. At least to me they are very different creatures. And the CC2 is playing the games on real hardware and whatever games you want that's why I love it so much. The whole library is at your fingertips to customize all you need are the roms not the hundreds or thousand + for some of the games.

The only thing I wish is if 5200 games could go on it too - now that would rock considering we don't have much for the system and the Joypads have spoiled me.

933339[/snapback]

I would expect the CC2 will probably be able to support next-generation of 2600 homebrews (64K flash+32K SRAM in an M-network-style banking configuration), something the Kroko cart most likely won't be able to do.

I really wouldn't put Multicarts, Emulators or the CC2 in the same categories. At least to me they are very different creatures.

933405[/snapback]

Clearly, someone who thinks that $75 is a good price for something that costs nearly twice that to produce, will NEVER understand the difference between an emulator and the CC2. No matter how hard you try to explain it.

That's like calling a Ferrari and a Big Wheel the same thing.

I'll just shake my head and walk away from this thread.

Clearly, someone who thinks that $75 is a good price for something that costs nearly twice that to produce, will NEVER understand the difference between an emulator and the CC2. No matter how hard you try to explain it.

933473[/snapback]

The issue isn't "what is a good price". The issue is "at what price will I buy something". If someone were to offer me a brand new Rolls Royce for $100,000, I might regard that as a decent price but that wouldn't make me plunk down the cash to buy it (since I don't have $100,000 and would have a hard time affording even the interest on a car loan for that amount, even if I were to get one).

For many of the people who enjoy collecting video games, it's a cheap hobby. There are a lot of very good carts that can be had for under $5 each--many can often be had for $1. Spending $200 on a single item, no matter how wonderful it may be, is a big purchase.

I hope Curt can manage to somehow sell his CC2 without losing money on the deal. It really does seem like a great product. Perhaps if someone can figure out a way to make a 7800 portable, it might do better. :-)

I really wouldn't put Multicarts, Emulators or the CC2 in the same categories. At least to me they are very different creatures.

933405[/snapback]

933473[/snapback]

Dude, get over it.

Love the comment you posted in the Mean 18 thread, too.

And just how am I supposed to know what Chad paid for the parts in a CC2!? Did he not say that some of the prices were well below his cost?

This is not the first time you've singled me out in some type of an argument, Danno. Please do not continue this.

Now that that is over, let me consider the CC2.

It's hard for me to say how good a cart it is or isn't. I do see it as a programming tool, though. I haven't seen another multicart that I'd consider for programming. I guess the Supercharger is something I'd program for, but it's not pure multicart, either.

With nearly half the 7800 titles (most of which I paid a buck for), I don't see the need for a CC2 in my collection just yet. Even if Chad paid $10 for the parts and sold it for $15, I just don't need it right now. I don't spend $15 on impulse (let alone $200). I usually won't spend even $5 on impulse at that.

@ Chad Schell: My guesstimate is that each CC2 costs you between $75 and $150 to make. You deserve to be compensated for your time in making these carts, plus the cost of the parts in each one.

I hope this happens as it should and you don't have to cut your losses on the remaining inventory.

I see the CC2 as a programming tool more than a collection of games.  Even bearing in mind how clunky my card reader is, based on what I've heard I think the CC2 would stand out ahead of the rest.
Try a single command that runs a script/batch file which runs your favorite assembler, then pushes your code out in 5-10 seconds at 115200 baud. And I'm using a Mac. The only inconvienence is having to cycle power each time. And now that I'm contemplating updating my cart dumper code to not need the pull-up resistors (which cause the CC2 to not work properly), I'll probably add a BIOS patch to completely bypass the encryption check, rather than just ignoring it. That'll save me a couple of seconds on the power cycle.

I've done the burn a chip, see if it works, burn again thing, and it is so stone age. I could never have gotten redbox/bluebox working without those quick development cycles. And you really can't develop 7800 code on an emulator, because no emulator handles the Maria DMA cycle stealing. You'll just be disappointed when you find out that half your graphics are missing when using a real 7800.

This is why I own three CC2s, with two of them held in reserve in case something happens to the first one. I've already broken the serial connector and had to solder the wire directly to the CC2. It would have been nice if the serial port was on the side of the cart, because that thing attracted my arms and feet to knock it over repeatedly, but it's a bit late for that.

And you really can't develop 7800 code on an emulator, because no emulator handles the Maria DMA cycle stealing.  You'll just be disappointed when you find out that half your graphics are missing when using a real 7800.

The emulators are helpfull but you are right they have too much quirks to do "serious" development.

This is why I own three CC2s, with two of them held in reserve in case something happens to the first one.

933778[/snapback]

Three? holy s...!

On the other hand you are right.

I guess I would stop developing if my CC2 would get broken (I doesn't even want to think about it...)

933405[/snapback]

933473[/snapback]

Dude, get over it.

Love the comment you posted in the Mean 18 thread, too.

And just how am I supposed to know what Chad paid for the parts in a CC2!? Did he not say that some of the prices were well below his cost?

This is not the first time you've singled me out in some type of an argument, Danno. Please do not continue this.

933599[/snapback]

You don't like being singled out?

You have a habit of posting bad/wrong information and opinions that are rather abrasive/unnecessary. Frankly, I find your tone and most of your commentary insulting to the intelligence of most of the people here, but especially those of us who've been involved with the Atari emulation and development community for any length of time.

I just thought I'd show you how YOU sound to everyone else.

I voted $100

I paid less than $70.00 for a MMC64 which is the same device (and WAY more) for the C64.

It can play SID files, display pictures, take D64 files and convert them for use on real hardware.

It even has a flashable BIOS.

I also have a 7800 and would love the convience of that device on it!

While I'm sure $200 is a fair price some of us who used to lay out money pretty indiscriminately for video game stuff are on a tighter leash now due to changing family circumstances (in my case, 5 year old triplets). So while I would love to buy one (or two, one for a backup) at whatever it costs, I can't necessarily do that now. If it were at $100 I would probably jump at the offer for at least one.

I guess I have to balance out the cool factor against the fact that I have PCs plenty powerful enough to emulate as well as other dev tools that work on the real hardware.

Eric

MaDDuck - you have any links or info on that C64 thing?

934346[/snapback]

sure:

Here's the official site with NO info on it!?:

http://ami.ga/indexe.htm

Here's more info about it:

http://www.protovision-online.de/catalog/p...3c949305ac82fa5

And here's where I got mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

He lists them from time to time, just ask, he may should have more!!!

Hope this helps!

ALSO, it's on a red board, no case, and has a cartridge pass through, get one!!

Edited by MaDDuck

I voted $100

I paid less than $70.00 for a MMC64 which is the same device (and WAY more) for the C64.

It can play SID files, display pictures, take D64 files and convert them for use on real hardware.

934287[/snapback]

That's apples an oranges. How many different banking schemes were invented for the C=64 cart port? The CC2 has to support all the 2600 and 7800 ones. I'm also sure that there was greater economy of scale involved in making the MMC64. The 7800 userbase is a small one.

I voted $100

934287[/snapback]

That's apples an oranges. How many different banking schemes were invented for the C=64 cart port? The CC2 has to support all the 2600 and 7800 ones. I'm also sure that there was greater economy of scale involved in making the MMC64. The 7800 userbase is a small one.

934383[/snapback]

That's my point!!

it techniclly is apples to apples.......

the C64 userbase is small and emulators (and Wheels) rule the market. Most C64 useres are content with emulaiton and few would want to dust off 20 YO HW just to see a cool trippy hack-tro.

The 7800 base seems to be a bunch of 2600'ers and anal-collectors that think it's more fun to leave fatal run in the plastic than it is to play it. The *REAL* gamers are fewer still.

I respect collectors, but I am now and have always been a gamer. Any device to facilitate that (CC2, MMC64, multicart) I'm all for. If the MMC64 were $200, I wouldn't have gotten it. I would not have paid $300 for my 2600 MC (with on-screen text) nor would I shell out (pun intended) $200 for a CC2 as great of an item as it seems to be. The cost to play ratio is just not as close at that price point.

Forgive the misspellings, I'm typing @ work!!!!