IGNORED

Pro Joysticks vs. CX-40 Joysticks

HP Atari King of Michigan

The Pro Joysticks used on the 7800 were also used on the original models of the 2600jr.'s. But Atari later started packaging the original CX-40 joysticks with the jr.'s and kept the Pro Joystick with the 7800. The Pro Joysticks have two fire buttons that have different functions (kinda like the NES joypad's A-B buttons). I would like to know which joystick works best for you (on either system).

ProLines (or compatible two-button joystick/joypad) are required for a good many 7800 games, so I'm not sure that this really is a fair comparison. For the record, the hated ProLine is my least favourite joystick for any released system, and that's saying something.

Edited by davidcalgary29

I don't recall the prolines ever being packaged with the 2600 jr...

...oh, and prolines suck they are righ tup there with the inty pad, 5200 stick, and cv stick.

932772[/snapback]

Check out Curt Vendel's website The Atari Museum and you'll see a picture of a 2600jr. box with the Pro Joystick with it.

I just got my first 7800 last week, and after playing a good hour or two of Joust with my friend, the pain was excruciating. Maybe we should rename them the PainLine Controllers... and it wasnt because they were worn out, all of them still have the protective plastic on the atari logo and a label on the back that says "warranty void if removed"... :D

One thing I've noticed, though, is that if you're playing a game that requires you to hold down the fire button for a long period of time, I get less pain with a ProLine than with a CX-40. Back-to-back comparisons of 5200 Millipede with a ProLine and 2600 Millipede with a CX-40 led me to this observation...

I can also play 5200 Q*bert with a ProLine and make it to level 5 without pausing and have no pain whatsoever from holding the left fire button in.

I do agree, 7800 Joust can be excruciating, as can 7800 Desert Falcon, with a ProLine...

The pro-lines are not the best design, but they are (usually) fine for the arcade ports. You develop tolerances after awhile :D. I would like to score a couple of those 7800 'nes' style pads. Someday...

One thing I will say in their favor: they're damn near indestructable.

the pain was excruciating. Maybe we should rename them the PainLine Controllers...

Feel the pain :D

I personally think they are among the worst designed controllers of all time.

I've been thinking about ripping mine apart to make a couple radica space invader controllers.

CX-40 is a great stick. 100x better than the painline.

For many games (slide n shoot and others) my favorite is the older bigger sega genesis controller. It requires no modification to work (only 1 button on 7800 though)

They just aren't comfortable. I can game with 'em for a while, but the comfort level takes away from the game itself.

I've got problems with one hand, too. A CX-40, Pro Line, or a stock N64 pad will cause a spike of pain once in a while here and there.

I got a couple of Power Sticks coming, though, which rule over even the CX-40's IMO. I've used one before, and I loved it.

ProLines are definitely WORSE than the 5200's joysticks, and are ALMOST as bad as the dreaded Intellivision discs (but not quite).

The ONLY time to use a ProLine is for a 7800 game that requires both buttons. Fortunately, most of the ones I like to play (Joust, Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Galaga) do not. I just wish I didn't have to use 'em for Xevious.

"I would like to score a couple of those 7800 'nes' style pads. Someday..."

They're junk in my opinion, you're better off with the Prolines.

936102[/snapback]

I disagree (respectfully). The joypads may be a little too sensitive, but they've lasted me a lot longer than my original Prolines, which began falling apart within a month of me getting my first 7800, which came brand spankin' new from Toys 'R' Us.

The ONLY time to use a ProLine is for a 7800 game that requires both buttons. Fortunately, most of the ones I like to play (Joust, Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Galaga) do not. I just wish I didn't have to use 'em for Xevious.

936252[/snapback]

You don't. Plug a one-button joystick in and the game will automagically adapt to it. The single button fires both bombs and bullets.

Asteroids and Pole Position II also adapt to single-button joysticks.

Edited by skunkworx

Asteroids is awesome with a CX-40.

Desert Falcon sorta works with one, too, but you lose the ability to use the secondary weapons.

Some of them activate on their own anyway, though.

Doesn't Food Fight work with a CX-40?

I also use the CX-40 with Ballblazer and Dark Chambers (don't need the bombs anyway).

Asteroids is awesome with a CX-40.

Desert Falcon sorta works with one, too, but you lose the ability to use the secondary weapons.

Some of them activate on their own anyway, though.

Doesn't Food Fight work with a CX-40?

I also use the CX-40 with Ballblazer and Dark Chambers (don't need the bombs anyway).

936264[/snapback]

If I'm not mistaken, all games will work with a CX-40, in that you'll at least have the first fire button. So, Food Fight, Ballblazer and any other game that only require one working fire button will play perfectly. Of the two-button games, however, I believe only the three I mentioned will actually modify their behavior to accomodate a single-button joystick.

For many games (slide n shoot and others) my favorite is the older bigger sega genesis controller. It requires no modification to work (only 1 button on 7800 though)

936025[/snapback]

I've heard that the old Genesis controllers can be used on the 2600 and (maybe) the 7800. And there are plenty "new" ones out there. But are you saying of all 6 buttons only 1 is mapped that the 7800 can use? How hard would a conversion be?