IGNORED

got a Lynx!

~llama

Hey,

I just got my first Lynx (I've wanted one since I realized they were color and my Game Boy wasn't, in about 1992) today, a Mk.I, and... the first thing I noticed was it's frickin huge! I wasn't prepared for it to be as large as it is, but I suppose it's still thinner than a Game Gear so oh well. it's not uncomfortable, in fact it fits very naturally in my hands, instead of contorted like the Game Boy.

the screen is great; the contrast isn't as good as I remember the Game Gear's being but it's still a very good screen. The sound is incredible! That Mk. I speaker really pumps out the sound, and the music is generally very well written on Lynx games (the ones I have, anyway). I'm a convert to Lynx, totally... and I've got my eye out for a Mk. II just to have both. The improved ergonomics will be nice, but... I really like the Lynx I.

I've got a bit of a dilemma, however. The Lynx came with nine games:

California Games

Warbirds

Batman Returns

Hydra

Rampart

Chip's Challenge

Super Skweek

Steel Talons

Xybots

the first two are loose (curved lip cards), the next three are CIB but the box is open so I can play them (:D)... but the last four are still shinkwrapped. Why is this a dilemma? Well... I got the Lynx and the games so I can play them, and I really want to open them and play them, but that will decrease the value and reduce the number of shrinkwrapped games out there.

What would you do? The eBay auction didn't say anything about their being shrinkwrapped still, so I was pleasantly surprised, but at the same time... i want to play them :) Advice?

Congratulations on your new Lynx! I have to

agree with you, I love the way the Lynx MK I

feels in my hands, and the sound is awesome.

As to opening the last four games you have:

No doubt in my mind, I highly recommend you

open and enjoy playing them. Those wrapped

games are easy to come by for a dollar or two

each, so they're not especially valuable. But

they are great fun to play, so open them up!

Well, after deflowering my virgin Chip's Challenge, I can firmy say that the Lynx is the best handheld system I've ever played. I heart it. Now i want more games :) This thing is also, the loudest handheld ever. Cranking it all the way up to the theme song of Super Skweek is a beautiful thing. Why is it so loud? Just because Epyx wanted it that way? I understand the Mk. II has a much weaker speaker (no rhyme intended there :D) which is a damn shame.

PS how rare is the Mk. I compared with the Mk. II? Are they about equal in terms of ease-to-find?

Edited by ~llama

PS how rare is the Mk. I compared with the Mk. II? Are they about equal in terms of ease-to-find?

937210[/snapback]

In my experience, the Lynx I is slightly harder to find than the Lynx II, however there is more demand for the Lynx II so I've never seen the Lynx I go for a higher price as a result. I prefer the Lynx II since you get stereo sound out of the headphone jack (yes, several games use stereo), it's smaller, and it has better battery life.

What are some other games (that Songbird sells :)) that I should pick up while I have the cash? I'm looking at Joust, one of my favorite arcade games (I have tons of home versions) and possible Klax (the girlfriend is a sucker for puzzle games)...

Is the refurbished Lynx unit sold by Songbird a Lynx I or II?

What are some other games (that Songbird sells :)) that I should pick up while I have the cash? I'm looking at Joust, one of my favorite arcade games (I have tons of home versions) and possible Klax (the girlfriend is a sucker for puzzle games)...

Is the refurbished Lynx unit sold by Songbird a Lynx I or II?

937586[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that Carl sells the "Mk II" model.

Lynx "Joust" is not one of my favourite ports of the game, but it has lots of fans here.

IMO, you only need a few more games to have collected the best for the system. I would recommend:

"Klax"

"Blue Lightning"

"Electrocop"

"Loopz" (more expensive, but well worth the price)

"Gates of Zendocon"

"Checkered Flag"

"Shanghai"

"Lemmings" is excellent, but really too expensive for most casual collectors.

I sell the Lynx II in my store.

Joust is a fantastic game -- and yes, the new gladiator mode is awesome! Other arcade ports are good choices, too: Battlezone, Klax, STUN Runner, Roadblasters, Xybots, Xenophobe, Rampage, Ms. Pac-man, Robotron, Rygar, etc.

Shanghai is a great choice for casual gamers (even my wife likes that one ;) ). Battle Wheels is a fantastic game, and I really like the Missile Command update in Super Asteroids / Missile Command. Checkered Flag is a great racing game (especially comlynxed), and Warbirds is a pretty cool WWI airborne shooter. Steel Talons is impressive due to real-time polygons but a tad slow on some missions.

Hockey and JC Tennis are great sports games. I also like Baseball Heroes and NFL Football though not all Lynx fans do.

If you're looking for a side-scroller/platformer game, I have to recommend Slime World first as an all-around great game with multiple modes (puzzle, battle, adventure, etc.). Switchblade, Shadow of the Beast, Ninja Gaiden, or Power Factor would be other solid choices in that genre.

If you like Chip's Challenge, you'll also like Crystal Mines II which is superior IMO. And while I'm on the subject, I released an updated CM2 cart a year or two ago which includes all the original levels plus over 100 new ones. For that matter, if you're looking to get a Songbird game ;) give CyberVirus, Loopz, or Champ Rally a try.

Whew. Enough suggestions for you? :)

I sell the Lynx II in my store.

Joust is a fantastic game -- and yes, the new gladiator mode is awesome! Other arcade ports are good choices, too: Battlezone, Klax, STUN Runner, Roadblasters, Xybots, Xenophobe, Rampage, Ms. Pac-man, Robotron, Rygar, etc.

Shanghai is a great choice for casual gamers (even my wife likes that one ;) ). Battle Wheels is a fantastic game, and I really like the Missile Command update in Super Asteroids / Missile Command. Checkered Flag is a great racing game (especially comlynxed), and Warbirds is a pretty cool WWI airborne shooter. Steel Talons is impressive due to real-time polygons but a tad slow on some missions.

Hockey and JC Tennis are great sports games. I also like Baseball Heroes and NFL Football though not all Lynx fans do.

If you're looking for a side-scroller/platformer game, I have to recommend Slime World first as an all-around great game with multiple modes (puzzle, battle, adventure, etc.). Switchblade, Shadow of the Beast, Ninja Gaiden, or Power Factor would be other solid choices in that genre.

If you like Chip's Challenge, you'll also like Crystal Mines II which is superior IMO. And while I'm on the subject, I released an updated CM2 cart a year or two ago which includes all the original levels plus over 100 new ones. For that matter, if you're looking to get a Songbird game ;) give CyberVirus, Loopz, or Champ Rally a try.

Whew. Enough suggestions for you? :)

938835[/snapback]

I recommend Toki and Rygar as very enjoyable platformers..

Yeah. It's without a doubt my most-played 2600 game. Surprisingly as an Imagic game it fits in my 7800, too... so it sees double duty depending on which system is currently hooked up. That's when I'm not feeding my current Lynx California Games addiction, of course.

Yup, I must concur. Warbirds is a really good game. But when you've got a Comlynx cable attached to another Lynx Warbirds player, it becomes amazing. I used to work with an unemployed cargo pilot, and I had two Lynx consoles, and we'd waste our lunch breaks blasting away at each other. I cannot recommend multiplayer Warbirds any higher. 10 out of 10. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by SteveW