IGNORED

The Landfill (A new challenge!)

HP Atari King of Michigan

Alright guys, there's no reason for nastiness. If you feel the topic's been done to death, do everyone who shares your sentiments a favor and don't respond since every time you do it brings it back to the top of the page. If you do find the thread appealing and want to participate, feel free to do so.

All I will add to this is that if the event had actually happened then someone, some where would have come forward and admitted that it was true. The problem with urban myths is that for many to have happened there had to be witnesses such as the drivers, the men working at the landfill site, the men at Atari who would have ordered the dumping to have taken place. As yet no one has come forward and said yes I was there and this really happened so lets face reality and admit that it probably didn't happen.

Ok, for some of you who is offended by this thread, or annoyed by it, need not reply, thankyouverymuch. :roll: :P

What I meant is I want someone who has any evidence of the millions of ET carts that was buried at that particular landfill in NM (i.e. anyone who had worked at Atari, for instance) give me proof, for I am a skeptic.

As yet no one has come forward and said yes I was there and this really happened so lets face reality and admit that it probably didn't happen.

940902[/snapback]

Let's look at this rationally. Who were the people doing the dumping?

You are saying the litmus test is that some blue collar worker probably in his late 50s who never played videogames is supposed to somehow magically know that there is a thread on the AtariAge forums, go register for the forums, and post a reply?

If a major national news source like one of the 3 nightly news broadcasts covered this controversy, these people would immediately respond.

Ok, for some of you who is offended by this thread, or annoyed by it, need not reply, thankyouverymuch. :roll:  :P

What I meant is I want someone who has any evidence of the millions of ET carts that was buried at that particular landfill in NM (i.e. anyone who had worked at Atari, for instance) give me proof, for I am a skeptic.

940989[/snapback]

Posting your solicitation to AtariAge isn't going to make it happen. They aren't the type of people who will be reading this thread. And if they were, they would have replied already.

All I will add to this is that if the event had actually happened then someone, some where would have come forward and admitted that it was true.  The problem with urban myths is that for many to have happened there had to be witnesses such as the drivers, the men working at the landfill site, the men at Atari who would have ordered the dumping to have taken place.  As yet no one has come forward and said yes I was there and this really happened so lets face reality and admit that it probably didn't happen.

940902[/snapback]

BTW, we're not talking about the holocaust here. They aren't running around the streets chanting "Soylent Green is people!!!" This event was important to US. It was of passing interest to the people who participated in it.

The only way to get witnesses is to seek them out.

The Landfill, as many of you know, is supposedly in New Mexico.  If anyone can prove its existance or non-existance, I welcome all to try.

940626[/snapback]

Go there abd bury yourself.

940746[/snapback]

No, why don't you? :twisted:

940990[/snapback]

It was meant as a joke. I think what everyone here is trying to convey is that we're sick of this topic. If you click the link above or use the search, you will find all you need. We even discussed our disgust with it in the last thread.

Please, let this one die.

"Can we get a lock on this one?" :D

Alright guys, there's no reason for nastiness.  If you feel the topic's been done to death, do everyone who shares your sentiments a favor and don't respond since every time you do it brings it back to the top of the page.  If you do find the thread appealing and want to participate, feel free to do so.

940766[/snapback]

No problem, sku.

I need to be kept in check sometimes.

I will agree with the others, this has been discussed before. But I will disagree with people raking someone over the coals for posting a topic that has been discussed in the past.

Personally, I think it's an important topic and each time I read one of these threads, I learn something new whether it's rumor, fact or whatever.

With that being said -

I'll say this AGAIN and then I will speak of it no more. I LIVED in Alamogordo from 1976 - 1984. No, I didn't work for Atari, No, I didn't participate in the burying of carts. But we did see the convoys of trucks heading down Whitesands Blvd that we could only assume were the gamers "Ark Of The Covenant". It's not every day that you see a convoy headed to the local dump over the railroad tracks as this rumor is making headlines. It was all over the news as well as the papers.

Did I physically see the cache of carts? No. Do I believe there are Atari cartridges and other memorbilia buried there? Absolutely yes. The only convoys that ever rolled through town were usually military in nature. Holloman AFB is only about 7 miles away from downtown Alamogordo. So this was significant.

I head back to Alamogordo from time to time to visit friends. It's about an 8 hour drive from where I live. The next time I'm there, I'll take pictures of where I remember the trucks going and I'll also see if my buds remember more than I do or if they know someone who worked at the dump at about that time.

Just my two cents...

'nuff said...

SjN

I contacted Snopes.com on this, and hopefully we can put this to bed once and for all.

Me?  Once a believer, now a skeptic.

941055[/snapback]

Snopes already has this story on their website. Read 'em & weep...

Snope's Atari Landfill Story

SjN

941293[/snapback]

Yes, I know. I emailed them to tell them it should be changed to "UNDETERMINED"

I've been reading these posts and wondering - WHO THE HELL CARES?????????

I mean, I love Atari - I love the whole classic gaming genre. But why in the hell is this interesting? It's not like the people who were trying to find the Titanic. At best, this is a company destroying inventory. SO WHAT?

A convoy of non-descript trucks? Rumors? Articles that have no actual facts? Good cheez-whiz people, aren't there better things to do with your time?

Good cheez-whiz people, aren't there better things to do with your time?

:ponder:

Do tell why you chose to respond to such an un-interesting topic.

Don't YOU have better things to do with YOUR time??? :cool:

Actually is kinda interesting, for various reasons.

I have to admit the bulk of the info available has been stated in the other thread.

Edited by moycon