IGNORED

Analmux = R.I.P.

analmux

you can read more about it here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...ic=35280&st=250

for all:.....take care ;)

945267[/snapback]

A-mux,

Well, I completely understand where you are coming from. I would like to try to convince you to not leave Atariage, and to not leave coding for the Atari in the past, but I am not sure exactly what to say.

All, I know is that when I think about why *I* still do things with my Atari, and I ask my self, Why? I get the following answers:

Is it for money? No. (Though, if someone wants to pay me... I am not stopping them :).)

Is it for fame? Well, yes, partly... if not just a small bit of fame... a few people know me and what I have done with the Atari. If I coded JellyBeans for the PC, people would have just gone, "Hmph, just another puzzle game", but do it for the Atari, and people say, "Wow. Cool! Great, a new game."

Is it for fun? Yes, I love doing hardware and software projects for this machine. I am still a *user* after all these years. I am not a historian of Atari computers, I am still a user and a player. I have a machine at home and at work.

Is it for friendship? Yes, I have met people from all over. And have done some small Atari projects with people from places I have never been before... I think I know more about Poland and Czechoslovakia than many people from Texas, just because I have some Atari friends there. Atari has given me the chance to strike up a conversation with people from other countries I would never have spoken to otherwise.

Is it for knowledge? Yeah, I little bit... I know more about hardware and more about software because of this little machine. Things that are still relevant today... C code, Hardware board layout, etc... I am an Electrical Engineer by trade because of this machine. I have a great job because I was interested in the Atari years ago... why not give a little back.

Anyway, so basically, I am still using Atari computers, for Fun, for Fame, for Friendship, and for Knowledge.

There are many, many of us out there that love to do things with these computers: program for them, do hardware projects, play games. Not everyone is on Atariage.com either... there is a bigger community out there. Granted it is not huge, but this is a vintage computer... Why do people do this? For the reasons above and more.

Why do people always complain about there not being support, or not being reactions for things being done with the Atari computer... mainly, I think, because we are all computer geeks. We interface better with machines than with other people. You are not going to find a lot of hand-holding and people shouting "GREAT" at the top of their lungs... this would just be strange anyway. :)

I understand about having a "real life", too... my wife doesn't understand my Atari compulsion and I do have work to do... but this is just a hobby. I have about 4 different Atari hardware and software projects going on right now... and they will get done when they get done... period. I am not in a hurry. Apparently, people have been using these computers for over 25 years now, so what is a few more years to see a project done...

Other than those random thoughts. I do want to thank you for the SMB project, the messages that have been left by you and others on this board. Without everyone here... I would not know as much as I do about POKEY and ANTIC as I do. Thanks to everyone!!! This BB has been a great technical knowledge base. I always wanted to program some games for the Atari and be part of the demoscene a little bit... now after 20 years, I am... I have a game out there. I even have a little piece of a demo out there as well.. thanks Fandal! So, if there is a video game company out there that wants to hire me... let me know. :)

A-mux, don't you also have a dual Antic hardware project out there? If you still want to leave the scene, please, PLEASE, leave by handing off some source code, and hardware schematics. But, if I know you, and you are anything like me, you will be back. I have abandonded several projects for lack of interest by other people (my JYBOLAC BBS is no longer running), but I always start other projects for *MY* interest. And, that alone is enough for me to pipe up now and again and say, "Hey, look what I did." Someone always goes "Cool!" So, as long as there is at least one other person out there ready to say "Cool!" I am happy.

So, I will leave you with this: Your projects are definitely COOL! And, if you are ever in the Dallas area and want to catch a beer or another drink, let me know (that goes for anyone, not just Mr.Mux). I am sure there is some Physics we could discuss as well as the Atari.

Cheers!

Cybernoid/Chris

(I think this is the longest post I have made. If you have read this far you are dedicated.)

Being primarily a lurker, I would encourage you not to drop the scene completely, Mux. Some of the most influential threads on pushing the 8-bit on the AA board have been either started by you, expanded upon by you, or shown possible via proof-of-concept by you. (I am thinking particularly of the MWP scrolling technique, the hard-synth thread, sprite reuse on a single line and -- yes, dare I mention, the MCS stuff.) I know that you have caused me to rethink what is and is not possible on these machines.

I understand that real life must take priority, and if you are feeling discouraged, slighted or burnt-out please take a break from the scene. However, I am sure that most here would agree that we would like to see you back at some point in the future.

Until then, good luck and take care!

A-mux,

Well, I completely understand where you are coming from.  I would like to try to convince you to not leave Atariage, and to not leave coding for the Atari in the past, but I am not sure exactly what to say. 

All, I know is that when I think about why *I* still do things with my Atari, and I ask my self, Why?  I get the following answers:

Is it for money?  No.  (Though, if someone wants to pay me... I am not stopping them :).)

Is it for fame?  Well, yes, partly... if not just a small bit of fame... a few people know me and what I have done with the Atari.  If I coded JellyBeans for the PC, people would have just gone, "Hmph, just another puzzle game", but do it for the Atari, and people say, "Wow.  Cool!  Great, a new game." 

Is it for fun?  Yes, I love doing hardware and software projects for this machine.  I am still a *user* after all these years.  I am not a historian of Atari computers, I am still a user and a player.  I have a machine at home and at work. 

Is it for friendship?  Yes, I have met people from all over.  And have done some small Atari projects with people from places I have never been before... I think I know more about Poland and Czechoslovakia  than many people from Texas, just because I have some Atari friends there.  Atari has given me the chance to strike up a conversation with people from other countries I would never have spoken to otherwise.

Is it for knowledge?  Yeah, I little bit... I know more about hardware and more about software because of this little machine.  Things that are still relevant today... C code, Hardware board layout, etc... I am an Electrical Engineer by trade because of this machine.  I have a great job because I was interested in the Atari years ago... why not give a little back.

Anyway, so basically, I am still using Atari computers, for Fun, for Fame, for Friendship, and for Knowledge. 

There are many, many of us out there that love to do things with these computers: program for them, do hardware projects, play games.  Not everyone is on Atariage.com either... there is a bigger community out there.  Granted it is not huge, but this is a vintage computer... Why do people do this?  For the reasons above and more. 

Why do people always complain about there not being support, or not being reactions for things being done with the Atari computer... mainly, I think, because we are all computer geeks.  We interface better with machines than with other people.  You are not going to find a lot of hand-holding and people shouting "GREAT" at the top of their lungs... this would just be strange anyway. :)

I understand about having a "real life", too... my wife doesn't understand my Atari compulsion and I do have work to do... but this is just a hobby.  I have about 4 different Atari hardware and software projects going on right now... and they will get done when they get done... period.  I am not in a hurry.  Apparently, people have been using these computers for over 25 years now, so what is a few more years to see a project done...

Other than those random thoughts.  I do want to thank you for the SMB project, the messages that have been left by you and others on this board.  Without everyone here... I would not know as much as I do about POKEY and ANTIC as I do.  Thanks to everyone!!!  This BB has been a great technical knowledge base.  I always wanted to program some games for the Atari and be part of the demoscene a little bit... now after 20 years, I am... I have a game out there.  I even have a little piece of a demo out there as well.. thanks Fandal!  So, if there is a video game company out there that wants to hire me... let me know. :)

A-mux, don't you also have a dual Antic hardware project out there?  If you still want to leave the scene, please, PLEASE, leave by handing off some source code, and hardware schematics.  But, if I know you, and you are anything like me, you will be back.  I have abandonded several projects for lack of interest by other people (my JYBOLAC BBS is no longer running), but I always start other projects for *MY* interest.  And, that alone is enough for me to pipe up now and again and say, "Hey, look what I did."  Someone always goes "Cool!"  So, as long as there is at least one other person out there ready to say "Cool!" I am happy.

So, I will leave you with this:  Your projects are definitely COOL!  And, if you are ever in the Dallas area and want to catch a beer or another drink, let me know (that goes for anyone, not just Mr.Mux).  I am sure there is some Physics we could discuss as well as the Atari.

Cheers!

Cybernoid/Chris

Very nice post! My English isn't good enough to write something like that but I agree with every word!

A-Mux, please, don't left Atari scene! :)

We all have real lives, jobs, girlfriends, children... Atari is just hobby as Cybernoid said. But every hobbyist need other hobbyists to be happy...

I hope you'll find it was fun to create something new for 8-bit Atari and it was fun to share it with the community. And I hope you'll return back. We don't need results of your work now or tomorrow. I would be happy knowing you're working on something and it will be released some day. Without people like you there's no future for 8-bit Atari because there would be nothing to look forward to.

If you're reading this, please, don't "burn all bridges"!!!

F.

(Quoted from other thread)

When Mario 3 is done, do you think you might be willing to post the source code? It would be cool to see MARIO 3 on other platforms! (hint hint, 7800, 5200 and Lynx homebrewers)

I would only release the sourcecode when it would be finished, I think a lot of people can learn the most when it's finished.....

Was there ever an alpha or beta of Super Mario clone? Can't the source be released for someone else to pick up?

Analmux, instead of a week of coding to finish the project, couldn't you find a single day to tie up what exists into a binary that people can play around with?

I wonder if this would gain anything :roll: ......some time ago the 'Vector' sourcecode was released, but nothing happened :sad: ... so I don't see the point of releasing an unfinished source.

at least leave us with the latest demo of smb3

RonC

If I'm right there are plenty of playable demos in my SMB3 thread....the latest is not that different....only added some extra effects and solved timing issues that only have effect when there's a full engine working.

Maybe some people misread what I wrote. I definately will not stop coding on Atari 8bit forever. I only quit AtariAge, or to say it another way: I won't share my latest works/experiments because I don't see the point.....mainly referring again to the HardSynth thread. You can see that many people downloaded the RMT files in that thread but no one spent 1 minute of their time to give feedback on it. It was in that thread that I asked people to try the Triangle waveform on their own hardware (not emulator), and I asked if I was right about this. No one said: "yes, indeed there's a triangle wave coming out of my TV speaker" or "No I don't hear anything". Though it was just a simple test: type a few pokes in AtariBasic and listen. The same applies for the polish "scene" where I asked the writers of the emulator if they might add this feature in the near future.....I got no response at all, except one:"the emulator doesn't play it", well duh, that's what I said before, PLAY IT ON REAL ATARI, but no one's interested there it seems :x....but I do not worry about that any longer. I'll just go my own way, and I can miss feedback.....so the main reason why I'm leaving AA is that it's pointless to post when you don't get the feedback you expect.

And another thing: For the coming period I'm not planning to do much atari-related stuff anyway. Mainly because I've got a new time-intensive hobby now, that's drawing my attention a lot. My mind is totally NOT at A8bit or AA at the time.....but it's still in my heart.

@ Cybernoid: I've seen you've put a lot of work in your efforts to make me change my mind....I appreciate that, really. Don't worry, I'm still alive. Atari is still in my heart, and in a few years a lot can change.

I wonder if this would gain anything  :roll: ......some time ago the 'Vector' sourcecode was released, but nothing happened  :sad: ... so I don't see the point of releasing an unfinished source.

My guess is that people simply don't like picking up other folks' projects because each coder has their own style, their own motivations and so forth and trying to take up a large wodge of source that someone else has written is almost like learning a foreign language; it's 6502 but not as we know it, captain... should see my source, tons of self mod, leaps of faith that make very little sense even to me six months after they're coded and lewd comments and label names!

Anyway, haven't commented so far but wanted to say that s'a shame to see you leave AA, glad that it's not an end to the coding and although we'll probably never entirely see eye to eye the conversations were certainly interesting. Best of luck with whatever you need to get done in your life now. =-)

@ Cybernoid: I've seen you've put a lot of work in your efforts to make me change my mind....I appreciate that, really. Don't worry, I'm still alive. Atari is still in my heart, and in a few years a lot can change.

945794[/snapback]

Whew. Well that is a relief at least. I know I take months off at a time from posting on this board. I understand. Just post a new SMB demo now and again when you feel like it. Also, I am curious to see what other projects you will come up with in the future.

Take care...

I'm sorry to see you go. While I tend to lurk in most of the 8-bit forums, they are the first I read when I come here (always have been). The reason I am often silent is that I do not understand programming machine language that well and generally do not have anything to add to the conversation. My interest in videogames and my 8-bit association came for me long before I rekindled my interest in the 2600 and is thanks to the efforts of people like you. I hope you change your mind.

Well,

so now I have to bomb you with dozens, err, hundreds of e-mails every day, just to give enough feedback to you... alright, just joking. Still I am gonna miss you and I would have liked to see SMB being finished, it was such a promising project.

I never was very interested in that "Hardsynth" subject and I am still not interested. But maybe, besides my disliking of emkay`s sounds, it is just that nowadays sound-makers create only two genres of sounds: 1) conversions from "then" popular games/demos/computers (like C64, Amiga, ST) and 2) awful techno, rave, house, acid sounds. Me, I would like to hear some good A8 conversions (done with RMT, MPT, TMC or whatever) of old Rock and Pop music from the 60`s, 70`s and 80`s. Maybe other Atarians would favorize classic, jazz, ... music, I don`t know...

Besides, I guess, that the polish coders do mostly ignore the A8 scene outside of poland. They simply don`t care much about coders outside of poland and they usually do not give a lot of feedback. For atari-area it is quite usual that someone writes something in english language, gets 1 or 2 answers in english and 10-12 non-understandable answers in polish language (and quite a lot of them are rude). E.g. when I informed the polish scene about the ABBUC software contest, lots of people replied with "something" negative about ABBUC and its stupid / amateurish programmers, etc. (only a few really cared about the subject)... so I guess, unless you make a cool megademo with lots of graphical effects and lots of cool sounds, you will not be registered in the polish scene as a good A8 programmer... but that`s just my point of view...

Nevermind, life goes on, Atari life goes on... life seriously, Atari life as a hobby...

-Andreas Magenheimer.

Besides, I guess, that the polish coders do mostly ignore the A8 scene outside of poland. They simply don`t care much about coders outside of poland and they usually do not give a lot of feedback.

Since I am a "polish coder", and I know the situation you're talking about, I can suggest that the fact that polish coders *seem* to "ignore the A8 scene outside Poland" may simply have a reason: namely, not much interesting seems to happen outside Poland in this area of affairs. Take a look at the topics at the AtariAge: most of the new software that is written or at least discussed are games. There are almost no new utility programs being created or system tools except for Windows. It seems that the only place where people are working on system software and tools for Atari is Poland. I am personally not interested in games at all. So why should I "care much"?

For atari-area it is quite usual that someone writes something in english language, gets 1 or 2 answers in english and 10-12 non-understandable answers in polish language (and quite a lot of them are rude). E.g. when I informed the polish scene about the ABBUC software contest, lots of people replied with "something" negative about ABBUC and its stupid / amateurish programmers, etc.

I think that you actually shouldn't believe that you can guess properly what is written on the AtariArea, if the text is in Polish. After I read your words above, I did a "Search" in the AtariArea on the keyword "ABBUC". Surely, I found maybe three topics initiated by you about the ABBUC contest.

There are no replies in Polish there - replies intended for you are in English. Comments in Polish are mostly less or more irrelevant to the topic, this is why they're not in English. Few of them are jokes, I didn't see any rude response, I don't really know what you saw there. Also, I didn't find anything about "stupid or amateurish programmers" of ABBUC.

My suggestion is that if you don't know the language, better ask for translation instead of making wild guesses about the text you understand no word of.

If you really wanted to leave, then why make a post saying that you are going to leave? You can leave at anytime.

You don't need to specify one way or the other if you are going to participate in this forum anyway. If you are interested in participating at any time, then stop by and participate, if you are not, then don't. It does not need to be an all or nothing decision.

From what I have seen, Atari and Atari coding will always be a part of who you are and therefore you will always have an interest in Atari and Atari coding. At times it may not be as great as at others, but when you have an interest and some time it would be better if you felt that you could stop by without feeling any regret that you were making a mockery of your commitment to "Rest In Peace."

Keep in mind this machine is two decades old. I don't think you should expect to find many people spending a lot of their free time seriously programming the machine, but eventually you are likely to get a good response here if you are patient and continue a line of discussion. The more you participate in programming discussion here, the more the forum will grow to be known as a good place for such discussion.

I have seen NO other Atari 8-bit forum that is more participated in and nicer than this one here at Atari Age - if there is another, point it out. If you want to build an Atari 8-bit coding forum or threads of discussion, there is no better place than right here. But it's up to you to do so and I would recommend having more patience, coding more and specifically asking people for feedback when it is desired. Just becuase you may not get feedback automatically, does not mean that people are not appreciating your work.

I'm new here and am totally (almost humorously) astonished that people are still trying to code for any 8bit computer, so excuse my intrusion, but Xebec's Demise's reply above me was totally to the point, and perfectly said it. Mux, it would've been more mysterious to somehow vanish away, anyways. From reading your posts, it looks like you more or less wanted bug testers, that's not quite referred to as "feedback" in the software realm, am I right? You'd call that bug testing, or beta testing...

RoNC

RPC, you shouldn't be surprised. We are coding for 8bit on purpose. We like it. We do it for much the same reasons that people still work on old cars; you can make them do anything you can think of, and you have total control. On a complicated modern system, its 'learn these 600 API calls and shut up'.

The guys coding for the 2600 platform, especially, are doing it *because* its so really, really hard. It's for the challenge. Any schmoe can write some crappy code and make zillions of things happen on screen on a modern computer system. If you get a couple of things moving smoothly on screen, with a score, and an actual playable game on a 2600, your code is not just good, it's frikkin brilliant.

Edited by danwinslow

• 1 month later...

After some programming time I had noticed that programming a game port is more difficult than programming a new concept game. If Analmux (who knows very well the NES game) don't finish this porting, nobody can do it. (but we can use the incomplete SM3 and scroll techniques for a new version of Pedro Montezuma :lol: )

• 3 months later...