IGNORED

5200 cart storage

phaxda

How do you guys store your carts? I have them in a drawer, but I am sick of digging through it every time I want to find a game. And I don't really have that much interest in a MultiCart (this may change, once I get some cash again).

I am semi-thinking of building a custom storage shelf (or having one built for me) that would have enough cart slots to showcase my complete collection (with some extra spots for forthcoming homebrews, of course) and a shelf width that would be wide enough to place some sort of label on so that I can tell which cart goes where (maybe print little mini-labels or something). The fact that 5200 carts don't have end labels can really make it a pain sometimes!

I have tried to use 8-track holders, but they are always pieces of junk and not quite the right size.

Anyway, I am also curious about everyone else's storage solutions...

The fact that 5200 carts don't have end labels can really make it a pain sometimes!

Yes, I have always filed this under "What were they thinking?" My only guess is :lol: that they :lol: honestly expected people to :lol: store the games in their :lolblue: BOXES! :rolling:

I have a wall unit from IKEA that I use to store my GameCube, NES, 5200, Intellivision, and select 2600 games, which I've hung directly above the TV cabinet in my game room. (The cabinet is also from IKEA, and it allows me to safely lock away my 2600, 5200, Intellivision, NES, and GameCube, all of which are connected to the TV, from my get-into-everything toddler.)

The attached picture is old, from when I had the stuff in a different room, but it shows both of the units I'm talking about.

(Yes, this photo is pretty much an ad for IKEA... and Target... and Apple and Nintendo and Atari.)

post-1474-1129959229_thumb.jpg

Edited by Room 34

right now mine are all tossed around on the floor of my game room. I store my dups in a tote along with my 2600 dupes. But they will eventually be on the bookshelves I use to store and display my collection, once i make room and or buy another bookshelf. But since i play my 5200 pretty much everyday, its convenient to lay them on the floor in front of the tv :P

I found a pair of IBM tape storage racks back in the mid '90s which hold about 20 cartridges each. The slots are about an inch higher than a 5200 cartridge.

They also fit in those grey "buckets" which take a dozen or so NES carts. They were pretty common back in the day, and I have at least a dozen of them. And for that matter, pairs of CDs fit in them too. I have most of my Playstation collection in four of these, and most of my Dreamcast collection in three of them. But I'm only using one for 5200 carts right now.

I'm using the same Iris drawers that AtariAge recommends for the 2600 carts. I just stand 'em up on their side:

http://users.adelphia.net/~voch/classic/carts6.jpg (an old picture)

I've recently been investing in individual plastic bags for all my carts. The 2600 ones fit perfectly in 4x5 bags, so they're all stored as such. My 5200 carts are in too-big Ziplocs until I find the "perfect fit" bag, and the Intellivision and 8-bit carts are too small for just about anything I've found. :)

Voch

• 5 months later...
The fact that 5200 carts don't have end labels can really make it a pain sometimes!

Yes, I have always filed this under "What were they thinking?" My only guess is :lol: that they :lol: honestly expected people to :lol: store the games in their :lolblue: BOXES! :rolling:

I have a wall unit from IKEA that I use to store my GameCube, NES, 5200, Intellivision, and select 2600 games, which I've hung directly above the TV cabinet in my game room. (The cabinet is also from IKEA, and it allows me to safely lock away my 2600, 5200, Intellivision, NES, and GameCube, all of which are connected to the TV, from my get-into-everything toddler.)

The attached picture is old, from when I had the stuff in a different room, but it shows both of the units I'm talking about.

(Yes, this photo is pretty much an ad for IKEA... and Target... and Apple and Nintendo and Atari.)

i have this huge desk where my computer is next to it i have a tv and all my systems are around it all hooked up very neatly i call it the "museum" lol where my current and next gen systems are up in my bedroom :cool: