IGNORED

Unimex Transfer Adapter for C64 carts...!?

panamajoe

According to http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=2&c=757 the Umimex is some kind of German console where the CPU was built into the cartridge. (Though I'm not sure if C64 meta-emulation would be possible.)

It certainly ain't no 7800 cartridge, and there's no way you could create a C64 adapter for the 7800 cartridge slot. Maybe the expansion port, but that'd be a simple video pass through, you'd need a full C64 in the "adapter".

According to http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=2&c=757 the Umimex is some kind of German console where the CPU was built into the cartridge.  (Though I'm not sure if C64 meta-emulation would be possible.)

Umimex also sold copy cart devices & eprom carts for copying games back in the day. I'd guess this is more or less a similar cart for the C64. But looking at it, it looks to be about the size of an Atari cart with a smaller plug at the top where it's cut open that would support a C64 cart.

So maybe this one is an adapter for the copy cart device. Plug one of these carts into each side of the copier & then plug the C64 cart on top of one & a C64 eprom cart on top of the other side. Just a passthru cart for use with the existing copying device?

So they no had to make an aditional copy cart device for the C64. Just build a couple adapters to make it work with C64 carts. This would be my guess anyway. That's alot of money for that cart if that's what it is though!

Here's a post from the seller (I think), he accidentally hit report instead of reply.

Mitch

Hi Guys, i`m the owner of the Adapter, here are my experience: A few Years ago i bought the unimex Adapter and you can really play C 64 cartridges on the Atari Platform. I don`t know the technical Specifications i only bought the Adapter and no further Informations, or technical Date Reports.

I find this hard to believe. But maybe this was how it was explained to the seller & he never tested? Maybe he's unknowingly spreading false information?

A full breadbox in an Atari cart? I have doubts as to whether this would be possible today, much less 15-20 years ago.

And if this really was possible, I think if would have sold very well back in the day, and this would not even be a question now.

Plus given the history of Unimex's product line, I'd think it's got something to do with a copy device of some sort.

Look at similar convertors from other platforms..

the VCS adapter for the 5200

the SMS adapter for Genesis

the NES/Famicom adapters for the SNES

and later yet the NES/SNES to N64

The CV had the expansion module for VCS too, as did Intellivision. Most of these addons were not small, even in cases where they used the same controllers. I can't see a convertor being self contained inside a single cart from back in the day that would let two completely different platforms preform off one console.

There is no such thing as a C64 adaptor for for the 7800. That is pure propaganda bullshit. Do you know how much that would have cost to make let alone the copycrap that would have been involved. It's too good to e true.

953882[/snapback]

Well, those copy carts probably had some copyrights issues involved too and they still made them. The seller states multiple times that he (recently) tested the device and that it really works. I'm sure he knows that if it's not true he will get negged and be in a lot of trouble. He is already an eBay member for 3 years, with a 90 feedback rating (two negatives though). Not that i would spend that kind of money on it, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt...

I think even more amazing than this seller's claim for this cart, is the selling price of a loose Star Raiders w/touchpad $30 USD for that! You can't get $10 for a nice boxed set with all three boxes mint & instructions and comic on US ebay. Is this hard to find in pal format? Maybe I should change my region on ebay! :cool:

Looking over the seller's other auctions, past & present, it seems to me like he just pulled this box of 7800 stuff out of the closet, and he is not a collector. Not that's anything wrong with that, but nine times out of ten, when a non-collector states they've tested something, they don't know what the heck they are talking about. He had this cart with a 7800 set, it fits the slot of the 7800, it says it's for C64 software, and suddenly it's an adapter for playing C64 on his 7800.

Did he have any C64 carts to test?

Did he even get anything on the screen when he pluged it in?

Does he even know the difference between Atari 7800 & 2600 PCBs?

My money's still on an adapter for one of the Unimex copy cart devices.

I just look at it from a hardware perspective. The 7800 cart port has address & data lines only (well, okay, there are some other signals, but no video input like the expansion port).

So if this was going to execute C64 carts it would need to include a modified version all of the C64 guts, including the CPU. (Because there would be address conflicts with the TIA, RIOT, MARIA & 7800 RAM otherwise.) That "C64 in a cart" would then have to render the C64 graphics to some kind of on-cart 7800 compatible framebuffer (probably 320B) which then a stub 7800 game could then get MARIA to display. The stub game would also somehow surface the controller inputs to the "C64 in a cart".

So, maybe, in theory, it could be done. But it would require some custom silicon to provide a "C64 in a 7800 cart". But I can't imagine that it would be financially feasible (based on the size of the 7800 market), and probably not technically feasible at that time.

I think even more amazing than this seller's claim for this cart, is the selling price of a loose Star Raiders w/touchpad $30 USD for that!  You can't get $10 for a nice boxed set with all three boxes mint & instructions and comic on US ebay. Is this hard to find in pal format?  Maybe I should change my region on ebay!  :cool:

Looking over the seller's other auctions, past & present, it seems to me like he just pulled this box of 7800 stuff out of the closet, and he is not a collector. Not that's anything wrong with that, but nine times out of ten, when a non-collector states they've tested something, they don't know what the heck they are talking about. He had this cart with a 7800 set, it fits the slot of the 7800, it says it's for C64 software, and suddenly it's an adapter for playing C64 on his 7800.

Did he have any C64 carts to test?

Did he even get anything on the screen when he pluged it in?

Does he even know the difference between Atari 7800 & 2600 PCBs? 

My money's still on an adapter for one of the Unimex copy cart devices.

954023[/snapback]

I`m the seller:

I don`t take the Stuff from a Dark closet, that i sell over ebay. Everything is tested and described as good as possible. I`ve selled over 30 Times CBS Colecovision and Atari stuff like whole Collections, or single Games.

It`s not so nice to write in such a Way over unkwnon People. The whole Atari Stuff must be sold , because I´m going to buy a new Console like the coming X-Box where the whole Atari games are on Board, and i have to reduce my Collections. I`ve really a lot of Stuff, like old Consoles, old Computers, old and new Video Game Cabins, and old Cars and Motocycles.

I`ve tested the Adapter with 3 c64- cartridges called junglehunt, Summergames, and Pluto Landing. After switching the on Button, you are able to play the Games with a Competion Pro Joystick, and if i write Play, means i played the Games for 2 Hours. So believe what you want, i`ve no Interests in giving wrong Informations .For my Informations Unimex was the Mother Company from Atari germany. Atari Germany stays in my Hometown Wiesbaden for a long Time, maybe he is a kind of prototype ?

During the Auction, i got a Lot of Questions about this Adapter, a few People seems to know him, thats why they probadley gives such high Biddings. after the Auction i got Mails from People, they want to buy the Adapter for a higher Price ( up to 500 Euros), i`ve invited the People to post here.

By the Way i don`t expect such a high Price for Star Raiders , and such a low Price for Ghostbusters but thats the Market or Ebay

Edited by potatoefritz

Seeing is definitely believing! I won't believe it until I see pictures of it hooked up & running on the telly. But if the seller claim it was running a C64 cart on the 7800 then maybe so. But a picture of it set up & running on the tv would have been more definitive proof. Maybe even a shot of the insides of the cart if possible. I guess you have no interest in it now since it's sold, but that would have been nice to see while the auction was running it's course. Alos was it a 7800 cart or 2600 cart? Seems 2600 would have made more sense.

What kind of Pics do you mean?

954128[/snapback]

Pictures of an Atari 7800 running a C64 cart thru that adapter that included the TV screen with the image of the gamescreen.

Sorry but I still don't believe that is what that cart could do without seeing it in action.

Ya, I would love to see this cart in action. It's the only way I would EVER belive it is real. And if it is real it needs to be looked at by some of the serious ATARI gentlemen around here and get it reproduced for all 7800 fans :) I'd pay $50 bucks for one AT LEAST. It would be like the HSC round 2 :)