IGNORED

CCII Question......

MaDDuck

I've just finished combing http://www.schells.com and I need some help!

It says that the CCII will handle MMC cards all of the way upto 128MB. While I'd like to have a 7800 exclusive one, I have a few 512MB and the 1GB ones.

Will they work too, or is 128MB the limit that it can address???

Good question. I have 2 128MB MMC's (my regular one and a backup) and they work fine. My guess is that a larger one world work as long as it is formatted in FAT 16. However, this really shouldn't affect your decision - it should be based on other factors since it's not like there is a true alternative today to the CC2 - worst thing that could happen is that you would have to buy a cheaper card for under $20.

Good question.  I have 2 128MB MMC's (my regular one and a backup) and they work fine.  My guess is that a larger one world work as long as it is formatted in FAT 16. However, this really shouldn't affect your decision - it should be based on other factors since it's not like there is a true alternative today to the CC2 - worst thing that could happen is that you would have to buy a cheaper card for under $20.

958730[/snapback]

Good point, I just hate buying a single purpose item (>128MB MMC) for a multipurpose device (CC2)

I use my current MMCs in my camera, MMC64, and N-GAGE QD.

I just want to get the most 'bang for my buck' without having to go out of my way to source and buy a known inferrior card if I don't have to.....

I got a 256MB one off ebay for 5 bucks from one of the hiong kong sellers and formatted it myself using the WinXP cmd prompt to the FAT filesystem and haven't had any problems with it at all. Have all the 7800 and 2600 roms on it

958771[/snapback]

SWEET!

Glad it works...

I've been grabbing all of the ROMs and instructions, etc for a while now and I'm CLOSE to getting a CC2...

I've been grabbing all of the ROMs and instructions, etc for a while now and I'm CLOSE to getting a CC2...

958793[/snapback]

Do it! You will not regret buying a CC2. Unless you miss your rent for a month or something. :ponder: Seriously, there are some awesome homebrews/hacks/prototypes that aren't on carts, and the development capabilities of the CC2 are almost enough to make me want to learn to program.

Regarding MMC size, they're getting cheaper (but harder to find, even on clearance), but my 128MB holds everything I could ever want to play. Barring a mass movement to homebrew 32k games for the 7800, I've got room to spare.

But I'd still like to know if it can handle more than 128MB.....

958768[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised if the CC2 wants a cluster size of 2K, which is the normal value for drives up to 128MB. FAT16 drives can go up to 2GB using 32K clusters, but that would require the CC2 to support different cluster sizes and I don't know if it does.

958768[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised if the CC2 wants a cluster size of 2K, which is the normal value for drives up to 128MB. FAT16 drives can go up to 2GB using 32K clusters, but that would require the CC2 to support different cluster sizes and I don't know if it does.

958938[/snapback]

The CC2 does support larger cluster sizes. It just has to be formatted in FAT16.

Chad

958768[/snapback]

958938[/snapback]

The CC2 does support larger cluster sizes. It just has to be formatted in FAT16.

Chad

958971[/snapback]

Thanks Chad!

Glad I got that right from the horse's mouth, so to say!!!

I *will* fill a 512MB card!!

BTW, will CC2 play .mp3 files?????? :D :D

958768[/snapback]

958938[/snapback]

Chad

958971[/snapback]

Thanks Chad!

Glad I got that right from the horse's mouth, so to say!!!

I *will* fill a 512MB card!!

BTW, will CC2 play .mp3 files?????? :D :D

959309[/snapback]

BEFORE I GET FLAMED TO DEATH............

I'm kidding about .mp3 playback, but it sure would be nice! :)

MP3, definitely not, not without a lot of extra hardware in the cartridge.  The 7800 isn't powerful enough to decode MP3 in real-time.

WAV might be a possibility, however.

959372[/snapback]

Or maybe even midi or mod files.....