IGNORED

What's your favorite platform for 7800 games?

shadow460

What's your favorite platform for 7800 gaming?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite platform for 7800 gaming?

• Cuttle Cart 2
    • Original cartridges
    • ProSystem EMU
    • M.E.S.S.
    • Console based emulator (PS2, Xbox, etc.)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I voted for the original cartridges. I like the simplicity of plugging in a cartridge and turning on the console and playing the game. And yes, I always play on the original system these days. I used to use emulators to avoid the uncomfortable 7800 controllers and snowy RF-modulated video, but now that I've got a composite video mod and a pair of my Space Invaders arcade controllers to use, that isn't a problem anymore. :)

Original carts, with either my RSA stick or my 7800 NES pad  :cool: that pad kicks the crap out of the europads, and 7800 Pac-Man is killer with the RSA stick.

963208[/snapback]

Did you make those? Badass! :thumbsup:

963231[/snapback]

I made the RSA stick. I bought the NES pad, because I was having trouble soldering one myself. I did the 7800 style labels for both, and I painted the NES pad to look more like a 7800 style controller.

Now that I have an 7800/NES pad, I can see exactly how they are made, so if I need another one, I should have no problem.

Next on my list is a 2600 Stargate controller :cool:

Edited by Lord Helmet

Original carts, with either my RSA stick or my 7800 NES pad  that pad kicks the crap out of the europads, and 7800 Pac-Man is killer with the RSA stick.

I prefer the 7800 Joypad over the horrid NES one any day. I have never been able to understand why anyone likes the s**t Nintendo pad. The Sega Master System pad is a nice one, although i still prefer the 7800's, if you want to mod a another 8-bit system's pad.

Original carts, with either my RSA stick or my 7800 NES pad  that pad kicks the crap out of the europads, and 7800 Pac-Man is killer with the RSA stick.

I prefer the 7800 Joypad over the horrid NES one any day. I have never been able to understand why anyone likes the s**t Nintendo pad. The Sega Master System pad is a nice one, although i still prefer the 7800's, if you want to mod a another 8-bit system's pad.

963834[/snapback]

IMHO the d-pad on the 7800 pad is too flat...I love the sega pad's buttons, but the d-pad tends to go diagonal on me whether I want it to or not. The perfect d-pad would be a sms pad with an nes cross-key :)

Even though I already own all of the 7800 games, when I want to play, I tend to use the CC2 for both convenience and to get a chance to play all the hacks floating around out there.  I'm surprised more people are voting for cartridges than the CC2.

965808[/snapback]

I'm surprised at that, too.

Even though I already own all of the 7800 games, when I want to play, I tend to use the CC2 for both convenience and to get a chance to play all the hacks floating around out there.  I'm surprised more people are voting for cartridges than the CC2.

965808[/snapback]

I think the reason I'd choose dedicated cartridges over the CC2 is that, even though the CC2 is a VERY cool product, I've never been entirely comfortable with menu systems and choosing a game to play from a bank of games inside a gigantic multicart. This kind of technology didn't exist "back in the day," and when I play the 7800, I don't want to be reminded that I'm not in the 1980s anymore. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Original carts, with either my RSA stick or my 7800 NES pad  :cool: that pad kicks the crap out of the europads, and 7800 Pac-Man is killer with the RSA stick.

963208[/snapback]

!?!?!!?! HOLY CRAP!!! THOSE CONTROLLERS ARE AWESOME!!!

Edited by HP Atari King of Michigan

I bought a 7800 strictly so I could use the CC2 and run some hacks (the 8k upgrades of Pac-Man & Space Invaders mostly). I rarely play 7800 games; with the exception of Galaga, none of them excite me. Maybe it was my 2600 or my carts, but I'm glad to use the CC2 and menus to avoid the wear & tear (mostly fingerprints on the cart labels).

Is it really that surprising that more people play the original carts than a CC2? I can think of a fairly obvious explanation for that...

$200

Granted, the CC2 is way cool... but I simply don't have that kind of money to spend... and if I did have it, there are plenty of other things I could spend it on that are a lot higher up on the list.

I'm sure I'm not the only Atari fan around here who's not interested in spending more than $20-$30 on any individual Atari-related item. (At least among those with kids and a mortgage!)

Edited by Room 34

I'm sure I'm not the only Atari fan around here who's not interested in spending more than $20-$30 on any individual Atari-related item. (At least among those with kids and a mortgage!)

978344[/snapback]

So true it hurts.

978376[/snapback]

I second, oh wait, I third that.

Even the cost of some homebrews puts a cramp in buying them. $30 is not too bad, but you can't buy more than one or two at a time.