IGNORED

The best 8-bit setup

NightSprinter

Ok, doe sanyone know what would be the best setup for playing games on the 8-bit series? Just got my WORKING XE Game System today from Mitch (damn, man.. you got that thing here faster than I got the money to you). Thing is I'll be sending the broken one to somebody I know outside the forums to see if he can repair it, but it would probably entail sending the keyboard off too since he'll need that to fully test the unit. I do have at least one four-player game (Asteroids) and plan on getting more. I'm willing to go with a two-system setup. I just want to know what will work best for me since I do want teh four-player games, and need a computer for whenever I want to play Star Raiders.

[Edit] I forgot to mention without a keyboard I can't make use of the special Trak-Ball mode that's put into Missile Command on the XEGS.

Edited by NightSprinter

I know that, Eric. :P

Doh! :dunce:

maybe wikipedia can help you with that decision ?

Atari 8-bit family

I enjoy(love) my 130xe but If I ever need to get another computer I want the 800xl with the ram upgrade. I only want the 800xl because the cart port is on top & the machine appears to me to be built with better plastic :ponder: it just looks like a stronger built computer.

Edited by ATARIeric

Here's what I currently have:

- 130XE

- XF551 (DS/DD drive, great for extra space for dumping file games on)

- 1050 w/ US Doublers (extra space, high speed)

- 3-in-1 SIO2PC adapter (handles all current formats and modes -- use the PC as a slave hard disk or write out/read from real Atari disks)

- Laptop with Wireless-G network and networked drives linked from my desktop PC to my virtual hard disk images.

Add to that the Translator disk (for running old 400/800 games that need the old OS) and it's pretty much the ideal setup -- I can set it up from anywhere in the house and run anything I want. :)

The only other things I DO want to get are a CF-to-IDE adapter and the IDE controller so I can create a sort of permanent hard disk for it. That would rock. (Hey, anyone know if there's an SD-to-IDE adapter? I have several SD cards, so I wouldn't have to go buy a CF card)

Edited by Mindfield

Yeah, I would like to purchase either an 800XL and have the memory upgraded to 320KB, or get an upgraded 130XE, but again I'm just a jobless full-time student right now and can't afford stuff at the moment (until my next disbursement in the spring). I just want to know what I should get for the future. Also keep in mind I DO have a four-player game, and player 3 just keeps moving in one direction while player 4 constantly has shields going.

Here's what I currently have:

The only other things I DO want to get are a CF-to-IDE adapter and the IDE controller so I can create a sort of permanent hard disk for it.  That would rock.  (Hey, anyone know if there's an SD-to-IDE adapter?  I have several SD cards, so I wouldn't have to go buy a CF card)

968684[/snapback]

I dont think it would work. CF cards uses connections that are basicly IDE. That is why the converters are so cheap and readily available. I made 2 for myself. It costs about $75/cart. Not bad for a totally self contained HD solution. I would have preferred the internal version, but having the carts are more convenient when you want to move it from computer to computer.

Link to my cart pics

I had discussed this in the Cuttle Cart 2 discussion on this board. Steve should really make a MyCF cart.

Edited by Almost Rice

Ideal setup would be an 800 and a 130XE, both with 1 meg RAM expansion.

Incompatibility of games with the XL isn't too much of a problem. I can remember only 3 or 4 of >300 games having problems when the Atari was my only system 20 years ago.

M.U.L.E. is the game to have with a 4 player setup.

You can get multitap interfaces now, so 4 joysticks can be connected to an XL/XE. Not that it is compatible with old stuff, but hacking classic 4 player games to work with it would be fairly easy. Almost all software that uses controllers read the shadow registers rather than talking direct to the HW.

I have 2 bit setups in use:

NTSC 1200XL with 32in1 OS upgrade, twin 1050 (super achiver enhanced) drives (plus other peripherals) - hooked up to a regular CRT (SONY 21") - this is my maximum compatibility system sat next to my regular PC.

PAL XEGS hooked up to my LCD (Bravia) in the sitting room, and that's my game system - its the only A8 I have with a video signal good enough to drive the LCD screen (the others produce NASTY pictures) - I use a translator cart to deal with the odd cart games that don't like the XEGS OS (only a couple in my pretty big collection).

My other machines (800XL, 130XE, 800 etc) are all mothballed in the attic...

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

I have a 256k 800XL w/o.s controller card (computerhouse UK i think, as there were two versions)

I have a 130 xe with Omnimon and Ultimon as well as standard xe and warp speed os (for modded 1050's etc)

And 2 other standard xe's don't know what they are

2 broken 1050's which need a disk mech each and track 10 assembley (complete)

Ideal setup would be an 800 and a 130XE, both with 1 meg RAM expansion.

Incompatibility of games with the XL isn't too much of a problem.  I can remember only 3 or 4 of >300 games having problems when the Atari was my only system 20 years ago.

M.U.L.E. is the game to have with a 4 player setup.

You can get multitap interfaces now, so 4 joysticks can be connected to an XL/XE.  Not that it is compatible with old stuff, but hacking classic 4 player games to work with it would be fairly easy.  Almost all software that uses controllers read the shadow registers rather than talking direct to the HW.

968783[/snapback]

Some of the 4 player games already have been patched for the multijoy interface so that you can play them with 4 players on an XL/XE.

You can find them here:

http://www.ppsberlin.de/test/include.php?p...catid=11&type=4

The best setup is any A8 with at least 64k, one with a good keyboard, i love the 800, a SIO2PC, i have the ape version found here Atarimax, a good printer, i have a XDM121 and a disk drive, a Happy 1050 is ideal, but any other can make it. With that setup you will be able to play with about 99.99% of all the software written for the A8. If you are talking NTSC, you will loose a couple of games, and because of memory maybe a couple of demos, not big deal anyway. Hope it helps.

Javier.